Forum Member

Default Command Structure

I come from a small volunteer dept and i have got them out of the bad habits so now onto Incident command structure. I am looking for ideas and breakdowns of command structures for smaller depts.

Command
    |
    Operation
    |
    Water Supply Interior Stageing

something like this... all ideas will be appreciated!

Forum Member

well alrighty then thanks for all the replies!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dude, really chill.

For one, you posted in an area that does not get 1/2 the traffic most others do. So not getting an answer right away is normal.

For two, the information is out there. It is next to impossible for someone to tell you how to set up your command structure for your department. None of us here know your training levels, SOP/SOG's, normal response staffing, water supply situation, or any other host of factors.

It seems like you have a good idea going, with your inital post. If you need help setting up a particular area, I am sure many of us here would be more than happy to help.

But, speaking only for myself, I can not extend myself to set up your Dept. ICS over an internet.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

dude it was a joke!! and i was only looking for the basics to start off with. Like the initial structure. I know we have to set the rest up around our dept. Just lookin for ideas is all

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with Doc. The information is out there, NIMS training, etc. Use the pieces that the incident warrants. If you need Command, Operations, Water Supply, blah blah, then designate someone for those positions. Don't forget a safety officer.

Obviously, the larger the incident the more you'll need (logistics, planning, finance, etc.)

Back In Black

Are you talking on incidents or in general how to organize your command staff?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Are you talking on incidents or in general how to organize your command staff?
    And those are two very different things...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Go to the FEMA website and have all members complete the 100 and 200 level online courses. That's a start.

Forum Member

For most smaller departments (and per NIMS), command and operations are the same initially. IF the incident becomes large enough, then you'll see operations become a separate function.

For the average structure fire, generally you have command/operations with water supply and the sector heads (A through D, if needed) and/or the attack teams (team 1, 2, etc.).

Depending on what is coming in, staging may be either be attached to water supply (for tankers) or to operations (engines, ladders, rescues, etc.).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireStick View Post
    Go to the FEMA website and have all members complete the 100 and 200 level online courses. That's a start.
    Plus 700 and 800. It is unimaginable to think that there are departments out there who aren't "NIMSified".
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I agree wholeheartedly. If NIMS is new to your department The first reaction will probably be "We don't need all that for the runs we do!" and they're right - just like you don't need every tool on the truck for any one call. That's part of the point with NIMS - it allows you to insert and remove levels as the incident scope changes.

In our department we have 13-14 members total, so our officer roster is small - Chief, Deputy, two Captains. As the need arises and as mutual aid boosts the personnel count, functions are delegated.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

The Command structure will be basically the same - remember it is DYNAMIC according to the situation and the size of the situation. The most important thing is that Command is established!.......and if there is a transfer, it is done properly with the required parties knowing it has occured.

Here is some more info regarding NYS and the courses that people should (at least) have.....if the members of your Dept do NOT have the required training, I would suggest guiding them toward it with a swift kick in the rear.......

EVERYONE in the Dept should have NIMS training - in fact it is required....and, it should not be something 'new'.....
    State and local jurisdictions MUST comply with NIMS in order to qualify for Federal Homeland Security/Preparedness grants. NIMS is much more than a Federal mandate, however. It is the right thing to do and can save lives if taken seriously and implemented appropriately.
    In March of 1996, Governor Pataki signed Executive Order No. 26 establishing the National Interagency Incident Management System Incident Command System as the state standard command and control system during emergency operations in New York State. In September 2006, Governor Pataki reissued Executive Order No. 26.1 for the National Incident Management System as promulgated under Homeland Security Presidential Directive-5. This Executive Order has been continued by Governor Paterson and is still in effect.
    Here you go for specific 'titles' -
    Entry level first responders & disaster workers Firefighters
    Other fire service personnel that require an introduction to NIMS and to the ICS include: Fire Police Dispatchers

FEMA IS-700: NIMS, An Introduction ICS-100: Introduction to ICS or equivalent*
    Chief officers who will have the supervisory responsibility of primarily local resources, NIMS Type 4 and 5 level incidents Company Officers (e.g. Captains, Lieutenants) Special Team members (firefighters)

FEMA IS-700: NIMS, An Introduction ICS-100: Introduction to ICS or equivalent* ICS-200: Basic ICS or equivalent*
    There is much more info found here - http://www.security.state.ny.us/trai...g_guidance.pdf

Thread Information