Forum Member

Question Reinstatement from disability retirement

I was hoping someone can help me out. I was a career-conditional firefighter at a base in PA and I suffered a seizure just shy of my one year anniversary. At the time they did'nt have any other positions for me so I had to go on disability retirement.

I was told at the time that once 5 years passed (because I was taking medicine) that I would be able to return under reinstatement eligibility. Now as I look for jobs, the definition of reinstatement eligibility is "within 3 years of separation".

I can't get a straight answer from OPM. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this or worked with someone who went through the same problems when trying to return to work? I'm not sure what to do next.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was hoping someone can help me out. I was a career-conditional firefighter at a base in PA and I suffered a seizure just shy of my one year anniversary. At the time they did'nt have any other positions for me so I had to go on disability retirement.

I was told at the time that once 5 years passed (because I was taking medicine) that I would be able to return under reinstatement eligibility. Now as I look for jobs, the definition of reinstatement eligibility is "within 3 years of separation".

I can't get a straight answer from OPM. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this or worked with someone who went through the same problems when trying to return to work? I'm not sure what to do next.
    You need to post this question on DoDfire.com Oh, and I hope to god you have that "5 years" statement in writing, otherwise, I rather suspect you are fooked.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-02-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks for the help FWDbuff. I'll post on DODfire.com in a few. The 5 year statement comes out of NFPA 1582. They told me that because the DOD follows the NFPA guidelines that it would determine the amount of time before I could claim reinstatement eligibility. Might have to go to my Representative on this one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    They told me that because the DOD follows the NFPA guidelines that it would determine the amount of time before I could claim reinstatement eligibility. Might have to go to my Representative on this one.
    Unless you have it in writing as it specifically pertains to your case, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting my job back. You should plan on spending a lot of time communicating with your Congressional Representative's Office.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information