Forum Member

Default World's Largest Fire Station

Does anyone know where the world's largest fire station is? (In terms of apparatus space)

Back In Black

I think there was one in South America that was pretty big... gosh, i'll never think of it.

Perhaps Russia?

Gosh, can't remember.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Where I work in Perrysburg Twp Ohio, our GARAGE MAHAL (better known as Station 1) is 6 bays wide (doors in front and back) and you could probably squeeze in 4 engines in each bay if you had to.

We presently have 4 engines, 1 truck, 1 Rescue Squad, 1 Light Rescue, 1 Boat, 1 Brush Truck, 1 HAZMAT unit, 1 Mass Casualty Unit, Fire Prevention Trailer, Fire Inspectors Vehicle, 3 Medic Units, and during the day 2 chiefs vehicles......I think thats everything.

$6.7 million dollars will buy you a LOT of fire station espically when you don't have to pay for the land.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 02-04-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

we got a station with 8 full drive through bays... takes up a whole block i think. we wanted to put one of the airport people moves in to help walk across the bay since it takes too long. it was shot down

now we are asking for segways
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah well we have FIVE bays........

well more like one station has 3 bays and our second station has 2 bays.....

BUT THEY LOOK BIG......haha
    2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

Forum Member

I know Baltimore had 1 or 2 "Super Stations". TO the best of my recollection, they had (staffed) 2 engines, 1 truck, 1 heavy rescue, 1 light rescue, 2 or 3 ambos, 2 chiefs. This is in addition to a TON of specialty stuff that gets brought out on a as-needed basis (boat, hazmat trailer, etc)

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Well......................

Ours is so big that we've named the Bays..... There's Chesapeake, and......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    we got a station with 8 full drive through bays... takes up a whole block i think. we wanted to put one of the airport people moves in to help walk across the bay since it takes too long. it was shot down

now we are asking for segways
    Haha did the same thing.....we've got one hallway a that is probably over 100 feet long.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Try Fire station nr 1: "Brandschutz-, Katastrophenschutz- und Rettungsdienstzentrum" (The center for- fire protection, disaster protetction and rescue service) in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, it's big.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sbq...98&lvl=1&sty=b

And one of the bigger ones in Finland, station nr 3 in the city of Vantaa:
    http://kartat.eniro.fi/m/MHo4G

Forum Member

I think Bum is correct on the one in Germany. Any of the European stations make anything "big" in the USA look small.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I visited a Fire Fighting show in Friedrichshafen Germany on Lake Constance on the Swiss border. They have a huge Fair Grounds with 10 large exhibition halls. Next to the parking lot for the Fairgrounds is a station for the Friedrichshafen Volunteer Feuerwehr (Fire Dept.) The station has 13 bays with many bays having more than one rig parked in it. Biggest Station I have ever seen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bum291 View Post
    Try Fire station nr 1: "Brandschutz-, Katastrophenschutz- und Rettungsdienstzentrum" (The center for- fire protection, disaster protetction and rescue service) in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, it's big.

That is a big station! It look's like it has bays on each side and then an area in the middle for parking more trucks.
    Last edited by FireRescue61; 02-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Forum Member

What is the reasoning behind these big stations? Shouldnt the duplicate equipment be spread out. I know one station that has individual bays for 1 engines, 1 ladder, 1 quint, 1 air and light, 1 FP, 2 boats and a tac truck. But there is no repeat equipment.

Maybe it is just me, but these stations with 8+ apparatus in them just seem way too big.

Forum Member

When I was stationed in Germany I noticed the "Really Big Firehouse" phenomenon first-hand. I'm pretty sure it's due to how much more dense (most) cities there are in comparison to (most) cities here.

I was near a city of 100K, and they had (I think) 3 fire stations for the whole city. Of course, each one had multiple Engines, at least one aerial/platform, and a couple ambulances as well. Coming from the US, it seemed strange.
    Last edited by sfd1992; 02-03-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bum291 View Post

And one of the bigger ones in Finland, station nr 3 in the city of Vantaa:
    http://kartat.eniro.fi/m/MHo4G
    Great picture of the one in Vantaa.....I remember when I was in Jalasjarvi the station seemed good sized for the size of the community.....I have a picture of it somewhere that the Officer gave me when I stopped in to ask directions.......

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well..............

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    What is the reasoning behind these big stations? Shouldnt the duplicate equipment be spread out. I know one station that has individual bays for 1 engines, 1 ladder, 1 quint, 1 air and light, 1 FP, 2 boats and a tac truck. But there is no repeat equipment.

Maybe it is just me, but these stations with 8+ apparatus in them just seem way too big.

We have 2 Engines, 2 BLS Ambulances, A Medic Unit, A Heavy Rescue Squad, and a Rescue Pumper in ours. We have 4 Drive Thru Bays 85 Feet Deep, all Doors are 12 Feet Wide by 14 Feet High. Although the building was built as a Drive Through, we don't use it that way, rather all equipment faces out it's own door. Remaining slot is used as a Wash Bay.

Charlie, I'm well aware of places where there are a lot of small stations with only 1 or 2 vehicles per station. These Stations tend to have small First Due areas of 1 or 2 Square Miles each. This practice never caught on here in Maryland, instead we have Stations like mine that cover much larger First Due areas (18 Square miles for me) Another factor is the difference in Government, since we don't have Townships (Thank God) and small incorporated Towns do not have any Voice whatsoever in Fire/Rescue matters, because everything is controlled at the County Level.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Here, we do have townships....(as I stated earlier, I work for one). At one time, our twp was the biggest in the state, its being chipped away by annexation but our first due is still 48 square miles or some number like that.

We did have two stations but Stations 2's area has mostly turned over to the city and up here the closest fire department does not respond to a call, whoevers jurisdiction it is in gets the call, so now our station 2 is no longer a fire station, but just a maintenance/storage garage.

Rumors have been floating around that the power that be are looking at the possibility of another station on the east side of the township (old station 2 was on the west) as we are experiencing tremendous growth and increase in call volume on that side of the township.

Forum Member

One station housing 8 vehicles
    2 pumpers
    3 tankers
    1 rescue
    1 brush
    1 command
    (1 UTV)

4 bays stacked two deep in relation to what trucks are first out plus one wash bay where the command is parked

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    We have 2 Engines, 2 BLS Ambulances, A Medic Unit, A Heavy Rescue Squad, and a Rescue Pumper in ours. We have 4 Drive Thru Bays 85 Feet Deep, all Doors are 12 Feet Wide by 14 Feet High. Although the building was built as a Drive Through, we don't use it that way, rather all equipment faces out it's own door. Remaining slot is used as a Wash Bay.

Charlie, I'm well aware of places where there are a lot of small stations with only 1 or 2 vehicles per station. These Stations tend to have small First Due areas of 1 or 2 Square Miles each. This practice never caught on here in Maryland, instead we have Stations like mine that cover much larger First Due areas (18 Square miles for me) Another factor is the difference in Government, since we don't have Townships (Thank God) and small incorporated Towns do not have any Voice whatsoever in Fire/Rescue matters, because everything is controlled at the County Level.......
    We definetly have some small stations in my town, but I dont see why any station needs more than 8 vehicles. We have 5 vehicles and 2 trailers and that is fine because its all we need. I just dont get having ALL the eggs in one basket.

Forum Member

I know at one point in time Wellsboro, PA had a station with like 12 or 13 pieces.

I have no idea if they still do.

Forum Member

This place is pretty big ...

www.cityoforlando.net/fire/index.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post

Nice job buddy...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I know at one point in time Wellsboro, PA had a station with like 12 or 13 pieces.

I have no idea if they still do.
    Doesnt do much good if you still ride out with 1 or 2 guys on a truck.

Forum Member

Default Biggest

Just got an e-mail from my friend who is a Fire Chief in Frankfurt, Germany....he says he'll match any of you for the biggest Station....12 bays and tons of equipment.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post

Wow! That's a nice station! You don't see many new stations with quarters above the apparatus bays.

Thread Information