Forum Member

Default The things people will do to make a few extra bucks...

2 metro-Toledo men arrested for selling gun training certificates.
    They were sentenced today...

From Fox Toledo in August
    http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/lo...ugust_3rd_2009
    Hernandez and Davenport allegedly sold over 130 National Rifle Association certificates to people in Wood and Lucas counties. Approximately 110 false certificates were filed in Lucas County and 22 in Wood.

Detectives believe some of the certificates were sold for as much as $300 a piece.

Hernandez and Davenport are facing felony charges for this criminal activity that detectives say has been going on since 2004.
    From the Toledo Blade today
    http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS02/100209944
    Judge Reeve Kelsey ordered Jason Hernandez, 38, of Perrysburg Township to spend 45 days in the Wood County jail, pay a $2,000 fine, perform 200 hours of community service, and spend two years on community control. The judge sentenced Michael Davenport, 39, of Northwood to 30 days in jail, a $1,000 fine, 200 hours community service, and two years on community control. The men also were ordered to have no contact with each other.
    The things people will do to make an extra buck... It's sickening.
    I live around the block from one of them...

Comments on the sentencing...? Enough jail time? Little lax on the fines?
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Just take them out back...

Let the guys that bought a certificate get some target practice in.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Insufficient jail time. This is fraud, and in some cases larcenty over $250 (here in Mass.)/grand theft.

This is about public safety. Even if these guys averaged $150 per certificate that is $19,500. And they were only fined $2,000.

Either punish these mopes or don't. Quit slapping them on the wrist.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Which National Rifle Association certificates?Were they for NRA sanctioned training or were they just claiming that they were?
    I guess the reporter didn't dig deep enough to find out what was going on since it involved firearms.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Which National Rifle Association certificates?Were they for NRA sanctioned training or were they just claiming that they were?
    I guess the reporter didn't dig deep enough to find out what was going on since it involved firearms.
    I'm still trying to figure that out... I've been asking around to see if anyone knows. I know for sure, and I think the article mentioned it... one of the guys was a cert'ed CCW course instructor.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure that out... I've been asking around to see if anyone knows. I know for sure, and I think the article mentioned it... one of the guys was a cert'ed CCW course instructor.
    Man,that makes it worse.It's hard enough to carry legally around Memphis,where people NEED to have some kind of personal protection,without stories like this coming out.

Forum Member

It doesn't help that I don't know too much about the CCW stuff to begin with... It's not as big of news in Toledo as it should be, IMO... Everyone's too worried about the snow storm. I'm starting to go off on a tangent, but I really hate the media. There's big news (don't get me wrong), but then there's BIG news - I wish the media would get the point. CCW permits aren't something to play around with. I'm not 21 yet, and I plan to get my CCW, legally, when I can. But people like this really mess it up for those of us who actually want it. Toledo's already been in the spot-light for this stuff int he past few years - There was a big Open Carry march on the city municipal building in an un-named direct suburb over a cop citing a gentlement for have so much of his weapon showing while getting ice cream at a local ice cream shop.
    Okay, I'll get off my soap box.
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

I checked my copy of the Constitution. Says nothing about:

"In order to receive a CCW, you're required to complete 12 hours of hand gun instruction and training" in order to exercise your rights as guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment.

Ohio Marxist BS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I checked my copy of the Constitution. Says nothing about:

"In order to receive a CCW, you're required to complete 12 hours of hand gun instruction and training" in order to exercise your rights as guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment.

Ohio Marxist BS.
    Look at it like a driver's license.Though I never had to take a road test before getting any license I've applied for,including the first issue way back in 1983,I still need one to drive my truck down the road.(but then,there's no Constitutionally protected Right to a vehicle which can outrun the 5-0,is there?)
    Same with firearms.You can own as many as you want in most states but if you want to carry concealed,you need a license to do so.
    You could live in Vermont or Alaska where if you want to carry concealed,you just strap on a holster and cover up.There's also numerous states other than Kentucky that allow open carry but in my experience,you get braced by the police a lot when you do.Some people think signs that say "No Concealed Weapons Allowed" on a store front apply to openly carried firearms and call 911 in a heartbeat.

Thread Information