Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Forum Member

Everyone carries a tool. Nozzleman, officer, backup, door control... I stick a maul in my SCBA belt when I am on the nozzle. Yes, the nozzel is my primary tool on fire attack, but I want a tool to punch through a wall if a situation goes to hell in a hand basket.

On my normal crew the second firefighter carries a 4' hook, our officer grabs a halligan. My suggestion if you are traveling to another station is to talk about what tools you usually carry, know what the other guys are bringing to the fight.

Someone said one halligan and the rest carry a pickhead axe. My question is; what are you using as a striking tool with the halligan? Or are you baseball swinging the halligan all the time?

In addition, someone (usually the officer if he isn't running command) on the team will have the TIC. It amazes me how often you see a team advancing without a TIC. I was not a big fan of the TIC when it first became popular, but I have drank from the kool-aide and have seen the light.

Forum Member

Default 2nd in

alright so we all are pretty good with tool selection when first in engine. What about times when the truck has an extended eta? or your the 3, 4, 5, 6th engine in? what tools do you grab then???

and someone please explain why every member has a pix-head tucked in their belt?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwat2026 View Post
    ....and someone please explain why every member has a pix-head tucked in their belt?
    Maybe because it's a versatile tool. You can chop with one side and pry or rip with the other. Also hook something and pull/drag or flip it.

Forum Member

and someone please explain why every member has a pix-head tucked in their belt?
    The way that department is set up the axe is part of thier emergency bailout kit.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

thanks, just wondering cause there are different tools, like the flat head, maul, hook and halligan, all different. Mt company has each member with a different tool so your crew can face any job that confronts you. but i believe LA all carry pick heads...

soo what about when your the 4, 5, 6th company in,, past your sops... then what tools are you bringing to the show?

Forum Member

Why would you go anywhere without your axe!? Always have it on you.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as what to carry when you are later in, that would depend on what work you have to do and the building it is being done in. The IC should assign a tactic (overhaul) then the company officer should size up what that should entail (hooks) and everyone should get to work.

Forum Member

Default ????????????

How do you check the floor if you don't have a tool?

Basement floors are hard, and probably damn hot.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

That was my post saying everyone on a fire alarm or working fire carries a pick head axe. We are trained to use the pick head axe as an anchor point for our self rescue bail out kits. We drive the handle into a hole in the wall and secure our bail out line to the handle. We are also trained in breaching walls and other structural elements for self rescue. To me putting the axe in my gut belt is an natural as putting on the rest of my PPE.

I am assigned to a quint. If we are running as an engine and my job is to advance the attack line the only tool I carry is my pick head axe. If we are doing an alarm investigation I will add a 6 foot FDNY style hook and a 2 1/2 gallon water extinguisher to the tools I carry. If we run as the truck I have a variety of tools to pick from depending on the task, different hooks, the irons, and either a roof vent chain saw or a K-12.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Lots of outstanding info here. Nice to see what everyone uses depending on the job at hand!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Everyone carries a tool. Nozzleman, officer, backup, door control... I stick a maul in my SCBA belt when I am on the nozzle. Yes, the nozzel is my primary tool on fire attack, but I want a tool to punch through a wall if a situation goes to hell in a hand basket.

On my normal crew the second firefighter carries a 4' hook, our officer grabs a halligan. My suggestion if you are traveling to another station is to talk about what tools you usually carry, know what the other guys are bringing to the fight.

Someone said one halligan and the rest carry a pickhead axe. My question is; what are you using as a striking tool with the halligan? Or are you baseball swinging the halligan all the time?

In addition, someone (usually the officer if he isn't running command) on the team will have the TIC. It amazes me how often you see a team advancing without a TIC. I was not a big fan of the TIC when it first became popular, but I have drank from the kool-aide and have seen the light.

Probably the best thing said thus far. Everyone posting should read this posting above. Whether it is an alarm or you have a worker, everyone should be ready for the real deal. everyone needs a hand tool to work with to A get to the fire and B when something goes wrong. When you get into the mind set of the truck will bring the tools, thats when you get stuck in the situations when you wish your thought process was different. Yes the line is your job, yes it puts out the fire, but what happens when you need to force an interior door or take a window from the inside or when the fire decides to get its way around you due to structure layout. Go on FFClosecalls and check some of the stories out when the nozzle team gets themselves into trouble and picture yourself in that mess with no tools. I like alot of the posts but some of them just don't make sense to me.

The way our dept runs is nozzle has the nob and tool of choice, back up has irons, ov has ladders hook and halligan (outside), control has a hook, and officer has a halligan and the TIC. Everyone is equip with a flashlight and a radio also. Everyones tool is mounted in the rig right next to them so they dont have an excuse for being to rushed to grab it. Yes we do have 2 engines, a tower, and a heavy rescue coming from our dept and yes I expect the tool boxes to get inside with some equipment to help out but with a first due engine always be prepared.

Forum Member

Thought I'd add this little side note quickly. I learned several years back how to adapt and overcome if for some reason you should become separted from your tool in a structure with lightweight construction walls covered with drywall. You can use your SCBA. First, find the void between two studs and center your body between them, then turn around with your back against the wall and get in a sitting position with your bottle resting on the wall. Lean forward and come back as hard as you can, eventually you'll bust completely through. Keep in mind, this is only recommended if A), you've lost your tool, B) there is either no window/door access in the room you are in, and C) the window is too far off the ground and you don't have a last resort life safety rope. Like I said, this is a last ditch effort after you've tried everything else and you don't have your tool for some reason. And yes, use your radio and keep your command advised of what you're doing, if you can.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Thought I'd add this little side note quickly. I learned several years back how to adapt and overcome if for some reason you should become separted from your tool in a structure with lightweight construction walls covered with drywall. You can use your SCBA. First, find the void between two studs and center your body between them, then turn around with your back against the wall and get in a sitting position with your bottle resting on the wall. Lean forward and come back as hard as you can, eventually you'll bust completely through. Keep in mind, this is only recommended if A), you've lost your tool, B) there is either no window/door access in the room you are in, and C) the window is too far off the ground and you don't have a last resort life safety rope. Like I said, this is a last ditch effort after you've tried everything else and you don't have your tool for some reason. And yes, use your radio and keep your command advised of what you're doing, if you can.
    There is absolutely no way for me to ask you this question with out sounding like a smart ***, so let me apologize up front.

Why wouldn't you sit on your butt facing the wall and just use your boots to bust through the dry wall? I mean we are talking about drywall here. It has virtually no resistance to that kind of attack. Frankly, I find the method you describe as potentially painful, time consuming, and possibly damaging to the SCBA high pressure line.

But then again, if it owrks for you...more power to you Brother.

By the way if I lost my primary tool, my axe, I carry a pair of those channel lock rescue pliars in my bunker pant's pocket and I believe they would do seriously damage to dry wall in quite a hurry if need be.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-11-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You never lose your front kick.
    Bring enough hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Heck, if need be I know I can punch through drywall when the Flyers lose the Cup on a BS OT goal. If my life's on the line, and it's my last chance, I WILL get through.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    There is absolutely no way for me to ask you this question with out sounding like a smart ***, so let me apologize up front.
    No apology needed friend.

Why wouldn't you sit on your butt facing the wall and just use your boots to bust through the dry wall? I mean we are talking about drywall here. It has virtually no resistance to that kind of attack. Frankly, I find the method you describe as potentially painful, time consuming, and possibly damaging to the SCBA high pressure line.
    Well, for starters, it's not painful at all. Also, you don't hit with the whole tank, just the top portion until you bust out a hole. What if there is lathe and plaster behind the dry wall, isn't your back and tank sronger than your ankles? You run a higher chance of ankle injury than you do of back injury.

But then again, if it owrks for you...more power to you Brother.
    It works brother, but only as an absolute last ditch effort, ya know.

By the way if I lost my primary tool, my axe, I carry a pair of those channel lock rescue pliars in my bunker pant's pocket and I believe they would do seriously damage to dry wall in quite a hurry if need be.
    I always carried two pair of large wire cutters in mine, one in my jacket and one in my pants pocket, just in case I couldn't get to one of those pockets. They're good for that also, as well as cutting yourself free if a dropped ceiling falls on you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Heck, if need be I know I can punch through drywall when the Flyers lose the Cup on a BS OT goal. If my life's on the line, and it's my last chance, I WILL get through.
    BS goal? Right between the pads and into the side of the net!!

GO BLACKHAWKS!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information