Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Nozzle team and tools

Does your nozzle team carry tools? Your engine is fire attack and told to stretch a line. Does your officer grab a tool? Do the firefighters? Is the hose the only tool for the team?
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone but the knob man takes a tool.

Forum Member

Me personally, whenever assigned the knob, I would always grab a flathead and tuck it into the belt of my SCBA.

Whenever acting as engine company officer I would always grab at least a flathead, and would encourage members of my hose team to do have someything as well.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Two scenarios:
    1.) Arrive on alarm system call, investigation, whatever and find something after arrival:

Usually the backup guy will have a halligan, tip will have a pickhead ax. Officer has at least his flashlight, might grab a tool circumstance dependent (if piece is close enough).

2.) Arrive to find something showing:

Tip guy has hose, backup guy has halligan, officer might grab something IF arriving then calling for a box; if arriving as part of box, officer usually goes in with just a light.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

IMHO, nobody should enter a working fire without a tool, including the pipeman. Anyone, at anytime, has the potential to become trapped in a situation where they have to force their way out of. I carry at least a short Halligan with me, tucked into my SCBA belt. Officer on the line has a short bar, A-tool, axe, etc.

Forum Member

If I am on the nozzle, no tool. If I am backup I will at least take a short pike pole or drywall hook to pull ceiling.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireStick View Post
    IMHO, nobody should enter a working fire without a tool, including the pipeman.
    Isn't the nozzle and hose considered a tool?

If you have the nozzle (pipeman) shouldn't that be regarded as the most important and valuable tool in the entire operation?

I am a firm believer in guarding THAT tool and that position with your life. Nothing should seperate you from it as not just your life, but the lives of everyone else, can be at stake.

How short is the halligan you are referring to as to have it fit in your waist strap and not interfere with you stretching and operating the handline?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    Isn't the nozzle and hose considered a tool?

If you have the nozzle (pipeman) shouldn't that be regarded as the most important and valuable tool in the entire operation?

I am a firm believer in guarding THAT tool and that position with your life. Nothing should seperate you from it as not just your life, but the lives of everyone else, can be at stake.

How short is the halligan you are referring to as to have it fit in your waist strap and not interfere with you stretching and operating the handline?
    No doubt, the nozzle should be protected at all costs. It's entirely possible to get separated from the nozzle due to collapse, fire event, etc. If that happens, I want a tool at my disposal to assist with me getting out. The bar that I carry is probably 16-18", similiar to this.
    http://www.columbussupply.com/products/?productid=135

I've never felt like it has interfered with my abilities, but that's me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Does your nozzle team carry tools?
    Getting of the truck, yes, axe and halligan to the front door. Once inside my nozzleman and I will have our hands full flowing 160 gpm; the truck inside team will be there with the tools.

Forum Member

Does your nozzle team carry tools? Your engine is fire attack and told to stretch a line. Does your officer grab a tool? Do the firefighters? Is the hose the only tool for the team?
    The engine (nozzle team) takes the line only. The officer carries a hand light, portable radio, and TIC. Hand tools are used by the rescue and truck companies. In warehouses or large storage buildings the officers will take a 200ft search rope.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    The engine (nozzle team) takes the line only. The officer carries a hand light, portable radio, and TIC. Hand tools are used by the rescue and truck companies. In warehouses or large storage buildings the officers will take a 200ft search rope.
    Does each man not have a radio?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I am wondering this as well.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Yes..Every person in every company on duty has a radio. Guess I overlooked it in answering.

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer to carry a blinged out boombox with the line so I can "drop it like its hot" inside
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    Everyone but the knob man takes a tool.
    this. I'll take a tool to the front door (no one should have to wait to have a door forced), then usually drop it if on the knob.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    I prefer to carry a blinged out boombox with the line so I can "drop it like its hot" inside
    Stupindous idea. I will pass this on at shift change.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    this. I'll take a tool to the front door (no one should have to wait to have a door forced), then usually drop it if on the knob.
    Usually same here, nozzleman usually has no tool, he is supposed to stay together with his pair who will carry tools. Everyone has a knife and a hook-and-rope/chain, I don't think that counts though.
    Having crawled trough a few buildings on the floor wearing SCBA, I have to say that anything except a very small tool makes life harder. But if I am inside a building where it's burning, I will need the tools. Not just for entrapment issues, but also to access the fire. e.g. If the kitchen is on fire, I might want to rip out the cupboards and punch holes in the drywall, with a tool. I have never had to make my way out with a tool yet, nor do I believe that day will come, but as with seatbelt, I just do it to make sure in case the unexpected would happend.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Every firefighter, with the exception of the Irons Man, carries a pick head axe stuffed in their gut belt on every fire alarm call or actual fire call.

Other tools, like a hook, would come with the second crew in or the truck.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Hoseline is Engine Company's Main Tool

The hoseline is the engine company's main tool - it should be advanced quickly and effectively without distractions. Tools to the door that entry is made acceptable - Tool carried on a belt acceptable - Tring to advance a hoseline and carry a tool unacceptable Tool gets set aside and lost or backup firefighter tries to hold the tool and the hose struggling to advance the hoseline which slows down the advancement resulting in ineffective suppression of the fire.
    Last edited by HOZMAN; 02-10-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Add title

Forum Member

the main reason why the nozzleman shouldn't carry anything except a small tool for self extrication(if they decide to) is that the nozzle is his tool. The nozzle should never be put down, if you need something opened up someone opens the void for you. What happens when you put the tool down, open void and conditions quickly deteriorate. Will you be able to find the hose, it could be covered in debris. It'll be a long wait for the firefighter opening the void when fire blows out at him and you are jumping back for the nozzle.

Forum Member

I usually do not care a tool when on the nozzle. (Although sometimes their might be a tool on the line right behind me)
    If i am riding the hydrant position it depends on how well the stretch is progressing. If the line is in-service and hitting the fire i will grab a closet hook. If the streatch is difficult or slowed I will not grab a tool and focus on the streatch. If we are streatching a 2.5 then all hands are needed to advace. regardless my main priortiy is the hose streatch. kinks are chased and doors are choked.
    The officer will usually have a light and radio and a small officers tool. they do not need to be distracted by opening up or other task. they are responsible fo monitoring the hose streatch and conditions in the fire area.

The truck will then come in and open up. that is what they are there for.

Forum Member

We go inside on attack with at least two tools. One tool has a hoseline, and one tool has a halligan and an axe
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

MembersZone Subscriber

all have full ppe, radios, lights

nozzle nothing showing = can or abc if called as a possible "electrical" fire
    nozzleman working fire = nozzle and 50 feet of hose or 1st hose pack

Back-up = irons or irons or irons and 2nd hose pack (oic fills if on a 4 man company)

Hydrant man = hook and tic when done at hydrant , may be ovm if a simple stretch

OIC = hook (usually left at attack entry point)
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

At my department, the nozzleman carries nothing, 2nd man carries pickhead, haligan or both and the officer carries at least a TIC. We have a limited number of radios but each team has at least 1, but usually 2 radios with them at all times.

2nd in crew follows in similar fashion, exception is the officer usually is carrying a pike pole instead of a TIC.

Forum Member

Engine men stretch lines, and put water on the fire. Truck men carry tools and force entry, vent, and search.

Should my engine arrive well before a truck one of us will grab a halligan and maul so we can force entry.

If I get stuck on the hydrant side at a one room fire where the fire should be knocked down quickly I'll grab a rake off the truck so I can do a little work.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information