Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New driver

Default New driver

Becoming a new driver and have a question about sprinkler connections. are you better running 1 short section of 5 inch to a wye then 2 3 inch lines to the connection or 2 3 inch lines from 2 discharges off the truck. and do you only charge one line because of the clapper valve or charge both lines?

Do you know what your highest PDP might be? If it is over 185, you should take the LDH out of the equation completely. If it were me, I would go with 2 3" lines. If the clapper valve is working properly, you should be able to charge 1 line at at time. Are you just supplying sprinklers,or possibly standpipes also?
    Last edited by FireStick; 02-03-2010 at 05:30 PM.

I am talking just a sprinkler system in say a 1 story commercial building.. so shooting for 150psi.. so you would charge 1 3" to 150 to supply while the other one is connect but dry?

LDH are not designed to supply Siamese's, be it sprinkler or standpipe. Yes a lot of department do supply them with LDH. One day it is going to catch them off guard when that sucker burst and they are fighting a large job.

Most pressure on the system will be more than the LDH should be subjected to.

Use either 2-1/2 or 3 inch hose line. We use 3 inch in our job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    LDH are not designed to supply Siamese's, be it sprinkler or standpipe. Yes a lot of department do supply them with LDH. One day it is going to catch them off guard when that sucker burst and they are fighting a large job.

Most pressure on the system will be more than the LDH should be subjected to.

Use either 2-1/2 or 3 inch hose line. We use 3 inch in our job.

as do we..so 2 3 inch lines from 2 separate discharges off the truck would be better then say 25' of 5 inch with a wye to 2 3 inches lines to the connection

Quote Originally Posted by StormHill View Post
    as do we..so 2 3 inch lines from 2 separate discharges off the truck would be better then say 25' of 5 inch with a wye to 2 3 inches lines to the connection
    Yes. I can't remember the exact standard right now, but NFPA recommends LDH for 185 working psi or lower. Also, as Jonee said, if that one line bursts, you are S.O.L.

You got it. Example -you are supplying a Siamese, sprinkler or standpipe with one 4 or 5 inch LDH.

You have members inside operating with hand line off the standpipe.

The hose busts. What now?

If you are supplying the same operation but with either 2 -1/2 or 3 inch lines into both intakes of the Siamese and one of those lines burst, the other still is flowing water. You as the operator can pull another section off the ride and replace the bad one. The members operating off the standpipe probably would not that you had a busted line!

Quote Originally Posted by FireStick View Post
    Yes. I can't remember the exact standard right now, but NFPA recommends LDH for 185 working psi or lower. Also, as Jonee said, if that one line bursts, you are S.O.L.
    so when last question.. run 2 lines off 2 different discharges and only charge 1 3 inch to 150.. the 2nd line stays dry and is used in case the other one breaks?

so when last question.. run 2 lines off 2 different discharges and only charge 1 3 inch to 150.. the 2nd line stays dry and is used in case the other one breaks?

I don't see how you are going to run two lines off one discharge!! They only way would be to Siamese it, but why would you?

Charge both lines

Gated Y off of one discharge would get it done, but like you say, no point in it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I don't see how you are going to run two lines off one discharge!! They only way would be to Siamese it, but why would you?

Charge both lines
    sorry my engine has 2 discharges on each side that do no get used.. so I meant i could run 3 inch line from each discharge and charge both lines

sorry my engine has 2 discharges on each side that do no get used.. so I meant i could run 3 inch line from each discharge and charge both lines
    Thats the best plan. Also, are you set up to reverse out with dual 3" lines?

Quote Originally Posted by FireStick View Post
    Thats the best plan. Also, are you set up to reverse out with dual 3" lines?
    no we have 1 rear bed of 300' 3 inch for stand pipes, FDC's and leader lines we would lay in from the hydrant with 5 inch then pull lengths of 3 inch to make the connections

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

As a general rule I like the 3" siamese rather than single LDH just for the fact that if the driver is alone and the stretch is difficult it's far easier to drag 1 3" line at a time and get it charged than it is to drag a 5 by yourself. The required flow from most sprinklers wouldn't approach the capacity of a 5 either or even a 4 for that matter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh, how many of you are supplying a sprinkler FDC with anything more than 150 psi?

The issue with LDH may be the height of the FDC from the ground. LDH is not as capable of holding too much weight at the coupling before the hose pulls away. I'd suggest never connecting a FDC w/ LDH without using a 30 degree tip down.
    Our FD requires all new FDC's to be finished with a single 4" storz on a 30 degree tip down and typically no more than 36" from the ground. We've had no new standpipes in years, but the idea of two lines to that would be a consideration if we were thinking of using the standpipe at all.

For those that use standpipes: Do you connect two lines from different engines for redundancy or leave one side open in case of any failure between the hydrant and the FDC?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 02-03-2010 at 06:34 PM.

so connect 1 3 inch..charge it to 150psi.. connect your second 3 inch and charge it to 150psi? sorry for all these questions

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Uh, how many of you are supplying the FDC with anything more than 150 psi?

The issue with LDH may be the height of the FDC from the ground. LDH is not as capable of holding too much weight at the coupling before the hose pulls away. I'd suggest never connecting a FDC w/ LDH without using a 30 degree tip down.
    Our FD requires all new FDC's to be finished with a single 4" storz on a 30 degree tip down and typically no more than 36" from the ground.
    PDP depends are many variables. FDCs for standpipes may have over 250 psi on them to achieve the proper nozzle pressure on the fire floor. I guess if you have Storz FDCs, that you don't run high rise jobs? I do agree that simply using a 2 1/2" to Storz adapter on on FDC is asking for trouble.

ETA: I see you edited your original and added "sprinker"
    Last edited by FireStick; 02-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.

no we have 1 rear bed of 300' 3 inch for stand pipes, FDC's and leader lines we would lay in from the hydrant with 5 inch then pull lengths of 3 inch to make the connections
    If this is the case, I would consider putting an engine on the hydrant to supplement the engine that is supplying the FDC. But, again, that would call for applying pressure to hose that is designed for supply. Or, maybe in your area, you would never have a long lay to the FDC?

those that use standpipes: Do you connect two lines from different engines for redundancy or leave one side open in case of any failure between the hydrant and the FDC?
    Ideally, we reverse out with dual lines and then connect and charge both of them from one piece.

Wink

Hey babe, we have answered every question which you have asked!

The standard pressure for sprinkler systems is 150 PSI. It doesn't matter how many lines you have going into it. Maintain 150 PSI!!

Re-read what we have said.

How long have you been on the job and how long have you been turned over to drive a pumper??
    Last edited by Jonnee; 02-03-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Thread Information