Forum Member

Thumbs up New FDNY Rescues from Ferrara

Yes I am a lurker on here but I came acrost this story on Firehouse today. What's the scoop on FDNY and Ferrara now?

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/term...-heavy-rescues

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeGotAFire View Post
    Yes I am a lurker on here but I came acrost this story on Firehouse today. What's the scoop on FDNY and Ferrara now?

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/term...-heavy-rescues
    You suck as a lurker.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'm interested in seeing the S/S, split-tilt cab that Ferrara is going to use on the new RM aerials and rescue trucks for the FDNY. Question is, will Ferrara build the cab themselves based on their present custom cabs, the Inferno and the Igniter, or will they buy a cab from another manufacturer? There a some other FDNY rigs built by Ferrara that do not appear to have a true Ferrara cab. The cabs on the Ferrara HP engines assigned to E26 (Manhattan) and E258 (Queens) sure look a lot like a Seagrave cab except for the front doors which have the different window design. These cabs are certainly very different than the Ferrara engine assigned to the Bureau of Training (Ex-E283) which looks very similar to the current Ferrara custom cabs. Anybody know anything about the cabs that Ferrara will use for the new FDNY trucks? Just curious..........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    I'm interested in seeing the S/S, split-tilt cab that Ferrara is going to use on the new RM aerials and rescue trucks for the FDNY. Question is, will Ferrara build the cab themselves based on their present custom cabs, the Inferno and the Igniter, or will they buy a cab from another manufacturer? There a some other FDNY rigs built by Ferrara that do not appear to have a true Ferrara cab. The cabs on the Ferrara HP engines assigned to E26 (Manhattan) and E258 (Queens) sure look a lot like a Seagrave cab except for the front doors which have the different window design. These cabs are certainly very different than the Ferrara engine assigned to the Bureau of Training (Ex-E283) which looks very similar to the current Ferrara custom cabs. Anybody know anything about the cabs that Ferrara will use for the new FDNY trucks? Just curious..........
    From information I've read posted in another forum, the cab for the RMs is going to be a Ferrara cab. I think it said that it'll be a variant of an existing cab (a low profile model).

Yes, some of the current Ferrara apparatus are using non-Ferrara chassis. Specifically the new Collapse Rescues (Spartan) and the Satellite Units (Mack MR).

If I'm not mistaken, the chassis for the HP pumpers is a Ferrara cab - a special build.

Forum Member

Under the terms of the newest agreement, Ferrara will supply FDNY five heavy rescue trucks. The rescues will be built on Ferrara's heavy duty Igniter chassis with a stainless steel tilt cab.

Forum Member

I'm sure the new FDNY ladder and rescue trucks built by Ferrara will have their name on it but that does not necessarily mean that the cab was made by Ferrara. Look at what Rosenbauer and Smeal do on some of their models. They buy a Spartan cab/chassis with a different facia on it and put their own logo on the truck. The only place it says Spartan on those rigs is on the ID plate inside the driver's door. I don't think you'll find Smeal's name anywhere on the Ferrara ladder trucks either. Speaking of that, I still hear rumors that Ferrara wants to buy the remaining assets of LTI as soon as ALF folds up so they can start building their own aerials rather than have to buy them from Smeal. The old LTI guys around Lancaster, PA told me that much of the equipment is still at the LTI facility in Ephrata and was never moved to the new ALF plant in SC. ALF does not own the LTI buildings in Ephrata. I believe they are still owned by the Zimmerman family, the original founders of LTI.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    I'm sure the new FDNY ladder and rescue trucks built by Ferrara will have their name on it but that does not necessarily mean that the cab was made by Ferrara.
    Re: The RM aerials

From page 119 of the current Firehouse magazine:

"The new apparatus are designed around the Ferrara LP-102, a low-profile rear-mount aerial ladder. The trucks will be built on Ferrara custom chassis, featuring a newly designed stainless-steel split tilt cab, four-section rear-mount aerial ladder and stainless-steel body."

Re: The Rescues

The Igniter chassis IS a Ferrara made chassis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You suck as a lurker.
    Haha at this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfpd352 View Post
    Under the terms of the newest agreement, Ferrara will supply FDNY five heavy rescue trucks. The rescues will be built on Ferrara's heavy duty Igniter chassis with a stainless steel tilt cab.
    I don't think "Ferrara" and "heavy duty" should be allowed to be used in the same sentence.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I don't think "Ferrara" and "heavy duty" should be allowed to be used in the same sentence.
    No, it's ok, you just spelled it wrong. The correct spelling would be "heavy dootie".

Forum Member

Default What???

The premium Ferrara trucks are indeed heavy-duty.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    The premium Ferrara trucks are indeed heavy-duty.
    I don't know anything about "trucks" but their engines are heavy duty...as in they just made everything very heavy. Rather than make things more durable they just made the doors heavy and bulky.

They still have cracks in the frame, mechanical failures, springs crack, electrical issues that run the gammut..... And they have to be the biggest slugs as far as acceleration.

If the rest of their products are anything like the ones we have now...they can keep them.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Fred,You MAY be in luck. The Demo I drove last year seemed to go pretty good. Of course once it's built to FDNY's "Iron Clad" Guarantee that MIGHT change. T.C.

Thread Information