Forum Member

Default Finally some GOOD press in DC

Great job Engine 15, Rescue 3, Ambulance 15 and EMS 3!!!

http://statter911.com/2010/02/03/thr...oad-southeast/

Forum Member

all i can say is NICE!!!
    But who leaves children ages 5 and under home alone when they go to work?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    all i can say is NICE!!!
    You would be amazing at the idiots we have living in society.

Good job, DC.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    all i can say is NICE!!!
    You're right...Many people who abandon their kids do it to go party or visit their dealer.

Good job guys.

Forum Member

sad to say, some people leave their kids at home to go to work, not having or unable to afford a sitter, as don't show up to work = loss of job/pay and they have to work to make ends meet. so I wouldn't call them idiots, desperate people do desperate things
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Forum Member

To the OP:

What do you mean by "finally"?

DCFD is one of the most aggressive fire departments in the country. No big city handle's fires like we do.

When you say finally you mean that the website you are reading will never post good stories. Last year there were numerous rescues made by the brothers. There was also a ton of property saved, especially in this tightly packed city.

Much of the negativity that you are implying comes from the EMS side of things. When a big city fire department has EMS forced down thier throat and it is run dysfunctionally it creates a bad atmosphere. We also have an administration that has to elude that thier tenure here is "perfect", so that thier NEXT job will be easier to get. That is where a lot of other negativity comes from.

Look at DCFD.com regularly to see just how we handle things and how positve it is.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaFF1 View Post
    To the OP:

What do you mean by "finally"?

DCFD is one of the most aggressive fire departments in the country. No big city handle's fires like we do.

When you say finally you mean that the website you are reading will never post good stories. Last year there were numerous rescues made by the brothers. There was also a ton of property saved, especially in this tightly packed city.

Much of the negativity that you are implying comes from the EMS side of things. When a big city fire department has EMS forced down thier throat and it is run dysfunctionally it creates a bad atmosphere. We also have an administration that has to elude that thier tenure here is "perfect", so that thier NEXT job will be easier to get. That is where a lot of other negativity comes from.

Look at DCFD.com regularly to see just how we handle things and how positve it is.
    Just to make you aware, CustomShields is a member of the DCFD assigned to an Engine Co. If he wants to announce where he assigned I will let him handle that. Not that I am disagreeing with you, because while I personally do not work for the DCFD I have quite a few close friends who do.

Just a heads up from a fellow Virginian.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    You're right...Many people who abandon their kids do it to go party or visit their dealer.

Good job guys.
    Regardless of what the fathers intentions were good or bad its a stupid and dangerous thing to do to leave small children home alone. At that age if anything were to happen what would they do? i can imagine that none of them know enough to call anyone or ask for help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    Just to make you aware, CustomShields is a member of the DCFD assigned to an Engine Co. If he wants to announce where he assigned I will let him handle that. Not that I am disagreeing with you, because while I personally do not work for the DCFD I have quite a few close friends who do.

Just a heads up from a fellow Virginian.
    Maybe I am preaching to the choir then!!! I figured there was more bad press anticipated soon or something.

Not to mention I was just throwing info out there, not upset or anything. This is a darn good fire department and I am proud of everything we do. Great job by 15 Engine and Rescue Squad 3.

Statter has a way of making our dept look bad and if you are an outsider and only read his site then you would feel that we do everything wrong!!! I'm sure CustomShields will back me up on that.
    Last edited by VirginiaFF1; 02-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Forum Member

VirginiaFF1,
    Not "finally" DCFD did something good to deserve good press. Rather "finally" the press has published just one of the many, many good stories that come out of the DCFD.

...and yes, you're preaching to the choir....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CustomShields View Post
    VirginiaFF1,
    Not "finally" DCFD did something good to deserve good press. Rather "finally" the press has published just one of the many, many good stories that come out of the DCFD.

...and yes, you're preaching to the choir....
    It is really pathetic how this department gets no credit for anything good that it does. But of course they harp on everything else.

It is a well needed change to see a good story in the press.

Sometimes I feel like people who aren't on DC truly feel like we are a bunch of rejects or something, so I was doing some informative blogging. Next time ill save it for someone who needs it!!!

What a great catch by the security cameras in this building.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sometimes I feel like people who aren't on DC truly feel like we are a bunch of rejects or something, ....
    You aren't Kentland. You are a bunch of rejects or something.....

.....that something is 2nd due to Kentland.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    You aren't Kentland. You are a bunch of rejects or something.....

.....that something is 2nd due to Kentland.
    Beware. I have seen these PG forums get pretty ugly. LOL

How did we go from a great saves to Kentland. LOL
    Last edited by VirginiaFF1; 02-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Forum Member

Virginia,
    That was sarcasm. I'll let the doc speak for himself but I got sarcasm and a shot at Kentland out of that.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt View Post
    Virginia,
    That was sarcasm. I'll let the doc speak for himself but I got sarcasm and a shot at Kentland out of that.
    I originally thought it was sarcasm, but then I read it a few more times and it sounded like he was taking a shot at us. Maybe I just dont understand what anyone says on these boards.

Doc, Kentland does have a long history good or bad, you be the judge. They do have a few good firemen though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe I just dont understand what anyone says on these boards.

They make pills for that too ya know.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt View Post
    Virginia,

I would never shoot at Kentland. It would be pointless and form a quantum physics mega disaster.

Kentland would beat the bullet to its intended location and destroy life as we know it.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    They make pills for that too ya know.
    Can I take them with large quantities of booze?

Early Adopter

It is really pathetic how this department gets no credit for anything good that it does. But of course they harp on everything else.
    The downside to working for the fire department -- almost any fire department -- is that when something goes wrong, it's your fault... And when something goes right, it's no big deal because you were just doing your job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent work DCFD!!!

Parents on the other hand need to be slapped.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

VirginiaFF... looking at your past posts I see you're in the academy? I know you're trying to defend the department, but you should probably worry about being a recruit and actually becoming a firefighter first before you talk about how you put out fires. People on here never disrespect the DCFD from what I read. The original poster was just referring to the bad press DC always gets. Being in the nation's capital, there's always going to be press there when something goes bad so that they can make it worse.

Also a couple days later DCFD made a few more rescues from a fire in a location right by this one. It was during a blizzard and didn't go even close to as smooth as this one. Rigs were getting stuck everywhere in the snow on the way there since they city doesn't care enough about this area to get plows there early on in the storms. Great work though guys.

Good luck recruit. Just wanted to point out that the guys can handle themselves. I know your instructors don't like you guys posting on here in the academy. I'm glad you have pride in your department though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    VirginiaFF... looking at your past posts I see you're in the academy? I know you're trying to defend the department, but you should probably worry about being a recruit and actually becoming a firefighter first before you talk about how you put out fires. People on here never disrespect the DCFD from what I read. The original poster was just referring to the bad press DC always gets. Being in the nation's capital, there's always going to be press there when something goes bad so that they can make it worse.

Also a couple days later DCFD made a few more rescues from a fire in a location right by this one. It was during a blizzard and didn't go even close to as smooth as this one. Rigs were getting stuck everywhere in the snow on the way there since they city doesn't care enough about this area to get plows there early on in the storms. Great work though guys.

Good luck recruit. Just wanted to point out that the guys can handle themselves. I know your instructors don't like you guys posting on here in the academy. I'm glad you have pride in your department though.
    Pipeman, I changed my screen name to this one to give some advice to the potential recruits. I was trying to give them a little encouragement. I have been on the job for 6 years now. I just had my 6th year anniversary recently. Your are right with the rest of your post though.

This recent snow has been crazy. I am used to sunny weather all year round on the opposite coast. In the 10 years I've been in Virginia I have never seen snow piled this high on the sides of the roads. I wasn't here for the blizzard of 96, but I wonder how this compares.
    Last edited by VirginiaFF1; 02-11-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Thread Information