Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armydog View Post
    Trying to get a job at Fort Carson is a difficult thing to do. I lived in Colorado for a majority of my life, was there as a Army Guard Firefighter and have a bunch of experience. I have been shot down numerous times everytime I applied. It always seems like they only have one position everytime they post a job opening. As far as getting a job at any of the Air Force Bases, good luck with that one. Unless you are getteing ready to get out or even former Air Force, you won't even get looked at. They won't even accept other people from other services (if someone knows different, please let me know).

All I can say is, keep up with the resum'e, and don't quit.
    that isnt entirely true. it depends on what category you fall under, whether its disabled vet, 5-point vet (regardless of service branch), career, career-conditional, etc... fed ffers getting RIFed or mandatory move have first priority, then disabled vets, 5-point vets, and down. coming off the street, no veteran status or prior fed service, you are pretty much at the bottom of the list. the key is what xfed said, apply everywhere, and if you have to take a job at the crappiest place possible for the next 3 years, so be it. you can move around much easier afterwards.

i work at an air force installation; about half our guys are prior air force ad/reserve and the other half were marines, army, and non-vets. i think we have 2 or 3 ex-navy as well.
    Last edited by ShredddinCali; 02-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Forum Member

I've got the 5 veterans points (prior AF 10 years). I'm also a military spouse. I've heard that is some other category as well. I didn't see it in the job application. No prior Fed time, but here's hoping for the best.

Forum Member

So, pretty much confirmed that a position I applied for already had another person picked out for the job before they even posted it. Is that even legal?

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    So, pretty much confirmed that a position I applied for already had another person picked out for the job before they even posted it. Is that even legal?
    Federal Fire Chiefs are all made from Teflon.

In the spirit of the theory, yes it was illegal.

Technically, however, it was done legally. This is done in many, many Federal Fire Departments throughout the system. The only thing they cannot get around is "The Stopper List", which to be on, you must be a full career federal employee which has received a RIF notice.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Doesn't seem right, although now I know i've got to try to be 'that guy' that is getting the job before they post it.
    I hate politics though, seems like they should hire based on the resume and an interview process, not nepotism/favoritism.

Forum Member

hiring authorities can legally hire and promote by name only, they do not even have to announce a job internally or externally.

Forum Member

Well, i got to tell ya. I thought that this Fed process would be a little different. A little more on the up and up. Unfortunately I'm starting to realize that DOD fire fighting plays more politics and favoritism than most Civvie departments. This is disappointing, i assumed that a Federal agency would have more oversight, but it's becoming clear that not everything in this process is as it seems. Two of the jobs i have applied for now have had the position filled before they even posted it. Another job was given to a guy that had a DUI while on active duty (2 years ago) but was tight with the Chief.
    I just wrote that and wondered what that says about myself, that this guy gets hired over me.. ha.
    guess i'll just keep plugging away, but this is getting discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Well, i got to tell ya. I thought that this Fed process would be a little different. A little more on the up and up. Unfortunately I'm starting to realize that DOD fire fighting plays more politics and favoritism than most Civvie departments. This is disappointing, i assumed that a Federal agency would have more oversight, but it's becoming clear that not everything in this process is as it seems. Two of the jobs i have applied for now have had the position filled before they even posted it. Another job was given to a guy that had a DUI while on active duty (2 years ago) but was tight with the Chief.
    I just wrote that and wondered what that says about myself, that this guy gets hired over me.. ha.
    guess i'll just keep plugging away, but this is getting discouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Federal Fire Chiefs are all made from Teflon.
    Also, don't forget about www.dodfire.com for more help/tips/assistance.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Also, don't forget about www.dodfire.com for more help/tips/assistance.
    just don't apply for the first 2 jobs under the "JOBS" link... they are open only to non-US Nationals.... weird....

Forum Member

So i made the short list. I'm thinking about driving out and talking with the Chief. What the hell should i say though, hey, i want the job? Willing to work my butt off for it? Or should i just express my interest in the position? This is all really new to me, but again, i /really/ want this job, and i feel like i'm missing a step in the process

Thread Information