Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Starting the Process

So i'm starting the application process for some fed jobs here in colorado. I keep getting kick backs from AFPC that i'm not the most qualified person for the job. The thing is i meet all the quals for the positions and then some. Not getting it.

Am i missing something in the application process, should i be putting something else in the resume? What can i put in the application to make me a viable candidate?

Also, any advice for someone starting the process? Should i call the Chief of the base i applied, or is that a no-no. Should i go in? Anything that you can provide would be a big help, haven't applied for a job or been on the market in ten years, and i keep getting the feeling i'm missing a step in the gov job process, that there is more going on behind the scenes outside of the usajobs website.

Thanks for the help

Forum Member

what is you work experience?????

what certifications do you have??

Forum Member

10 years active duty air force fire protection
    all level II certs, and officer III
    All D/O's (except Ladder)
    HazMat I/C
    rescue tech
    been to many bases
    separated as a Tech

I have all the quals (although i think not having HazMat Tech is going to hurt me). I just keep getting the feeling that they have the position filled before they even ask for the applications. Dunno.. maybe it's just misdirected paranoia.

Forum Member

Hey brother, just thought that I would chime in with my $.02

Are you sure that you are including everything on your resume listed in the KSAs? You need to make sure that your resume reflects the key words that are asked for in the qualifications, like if it says "incumbent must have performed duties picking trash", your resume should be almost verbatim reflecting that your performed this duty. A computer system pulls resumes by how many key word match what they are looking for. Crappy method yes, but thats the way it is done. If you turn in a half-assed resume, your resume may not even make the cut to make it to someones desk for review. Also, there is a checklist tab on the final application submission portion of the Air Force site. You need to ensure that you have everything that the checklist is asking for, ie transcripts, dd-214, copies of certificates, etc... if thats what they are asking for, you NEED to provide it.

What takes a lot of candidates out of the process is that they dont read the job listing thorough enough and end up leaving out key items. Not saying that you are doing this but something worth looking in to.

Forum Member

Default My .02

Fly has some good points. Make sure to include everything that is asked for. However, I disagree with writing your resume "almost verbatim". Yes, it needs to clear the computer before anyone has it in their hands, but once it hits the hiring official's desk a resume that has been cut/pasted is a turn-off. Most hiring officials that I know want to see how a candidate writes and articulates on his/her own, because believe it or not the resume can show a little insight to the person who created it. I would also advise against just using the USAJobs website. Go to each branches website and fill in a seperate resume there. They are pretty much all the same, but one agency might ask for things a little differently than another, so this allows you to tailor your resume to what the agency wants. As far as calling the Chief once you know the resume has at least been referred: tough call as some don't mind but others hate it! I would not advise going to the station to meet the chief at all! Good luck to you and if you don't have your EMT get it because that is almost a "must have" now and could very well be one of the reasons you are not making it to "most qualified".

Forum Member

The Key words are what the computer or scanner looks for.

Also I can't believe you would be the best qualified without your IFSAC Haz-Mat Tech. or EMT.

These are two Certs. If you don't have that would for sure place you lower.

Forum Member

I have EMT-B.. don't know why you keep assuming that i don't. I did miss out on getting tech. By the time they make it a req for your 5 lvl i was an E-6. The only additional req at that time was Tele-comm I/II. I was working on the Officers and I/C in my NCO days. From what i remember the req for 7 lvl had I/« worked into it. Never got a chance to pick Haz-Mat Tech up.

I'm sure you know as well as i do that with all the Train the Trainers floating around in the AF/Civvie world i could get that very quickly.

When applying for a position that only requires Ops/Awareness, i fail to see how that cert is relevant. I can pick it up later as needed, but again, when not required, i don't see why it would lower my chances of hiring.

I'm sure you'll make the argument that when my name crosses the Chief's desk he will think 'Why did this E-6 not have his Haz-Mat Tech? Is he a retard?' But surely that would be offset by the other certifications that i possess. And again, not a required cert for the job, shouldn't be an issue. All the other certifications that are above and beyond the required level should count for just as much, right?

Forum Member

having all the certs "above and beyond" what they are looking for is great but again, if you do not word your resume properly reflecting the KSAs you wont even make it past the first go-around.

Im not sure where you live but look to see if your local or regional Veterans Affairs office has an Employment Assistance counselor available. They should be able to assist you with getting your resume on point. Being in the military is a giant bullet point in itself, but many airmen, sailors, marines, etc... IMHO do not know how to properly create and format a resume especially when it comes to Federal employment.

As a veteran we all need to take advantage of all the help and opportunities that are available to us. I know I needed it, utilized it, and now I am reaping the benefits of the assistance that was provided to me.

Good luck brother!

The Hazmat tech thing can be a dealbreaker. Even though it is not a requirement, it gives people who have it the advantage. With so many base closings and RIFs, there are also plenty of guys looking for jobs, so chiefs can be very picky. Some guys have been chasing certs very hard and are way "overqualified" for the positions they fill.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    10 years active duty air force fire protection
    all level II certs, and officer III
    All D/O's (except Ladder)
    HazMat I/C
    rescue tech
    been to many bases
    separated as a Tech

I have all the quals (although i think not having HazMat Tech is going to hurt me). I just keep getting the feeling that they have the position filled before they even ask for the applications. Dunno.. maybe it's just misdirected paranoia.
    I'm sorry I missed reading you were an EMT where in the above do you say your an EMT ?

Forum Member

Gunny,
    Shouldn't the other certs that are above and beyond weigh out the lack of hazmat tech?
    As i stated before, you can get tech in about a month. Not a problem.

I am a little concerned about the Resume though. I used the format that was provided on the USAJobs website. I'm starting to think that was a bad idea.

I called AFPC yesterday and they informed me of the positions I've been approved for and the lists that have gone on to the Chief (one base has 45 guys going up.. geez). I'm going to call out there after i find anything out on that and see how i can improve my resume from a Chief's point of view.

I still get the impression many of these jobs are filled before they even post the opening though.

And no XFed, i didn't put that in there, most of the jobs I've applied for haven't required it, nice attempt at baiting though.

Gunny,
    Shouldn't the other certs that are above and beyond weigh out the lack of hazmat tech?
    Evidently not in the eyes of the guys hiring. Every person has their idea of what is important and what isn't. You don't think HMT is important, but you're not getting hired. Maybe you should spend that month getting it done.

Forum Member

Default Resume

Peter, I too didn't see EMT as listed so forgive me if I wrongly assumed you might not have it. From my experience, I would NOT rely solely on the USAJOBS website resume builder. Go into each branch's website and write what they want where they want it. I guess I wouldn't worry about the Navy Chart system as you are only looking for Colorado, but the Army has bases there as well so I would make my resume on the www.cpo.army.mil website. And I have to agree with the others, why would a hiring official choose someone w/out HMT when there are a zillion applicants that do have it and everything else you do too! Just because you are meeting the minimum qualifications listed in the announcement in no way means you are among the most qualified. I do wish you luck, and as a side question; have you considered applying for bases outside of CO? Once you get into the Fed system, you can then always try to move around and get back to the area of choice.

Forum Member

Well, you're probably right. Just have to see how this pans out. I'll go by the VA and see if they can help me out with the resume, and see if TEEX is having any Tech classes coming up.

Forum Member

Got my NOR today informing me that my qualifications had been forwarded to the selecting official. Should i expect an interview? Should i call someone in the chain of command at this point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Got my NOR today informing me that my qualifications had been forwarded to the selecting official. Should i expect an interview? Should i call someone in the chain of command at this point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    what did you apply for?

Forum Member

A GS-7 position.

Forum Member

A GS-7 position.
    sorry, didn't specify; where at, for what agency?

Forum Member

Trying to get a job at Fort Carson is a difficult thing to do. I lived in Colorado for a majority of my life, was there as a Army Guard Firefighter and have a bunch of experience. I have been shot down numerous times everytime I applied. It always seems like they only have one position everytime they post a job opening. As far as getting a job at any of the Air Force Bases, good luck with that one. Unless you are getteing ready to get out or even former Air Force, you won't even get looked at. They won't even accept other people from other services (if someone knows different, please let me know).

All I can say is, keep up with the resum'e, and don't quit.

Forum Member

The best way to become a Federal Firefighter is you have to be willing to work anywhere in the U.S. this is hard if you already have a family. Because once your in the System you can transfer to the base that is more your liking. Apply everywhere! They will almost always hire a transfer before an outsider.

Thread Information