Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Resume Questions

I have been out of the loop for awhile and was wondering what all I should put on my resume. When I applied to the Navy back in 2002 the only thing I put on my resume was my firefighting experience.

When I was hired I had to fill out a Public Trust Questionnaire in which I was asked to list all of my other work experience. Easy enough. Seems like they were only concerned with my experience as a firefighter.

Is the process still the same or should I be listing all of my work experience including none fire? Will any negative experience count against me or are they only concerned with my firefighting experience and if that qualifies me for the job?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Forum Member

what do you mean "negative experience"?

Forum Member

If I ever quit or was fired from a job. Should have worded that differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If I ever quit or was fired from a job. Should have worded that differently.

Work experience - unless they specifically ask why you left, I just put the time with the employer down.......my resume had a list of years at jobs and job descriptions - didn't state why I left one for another - BUT be prepared to answer that question in person, especially if you have a history gap or short term employment dates......

Should have added - any job that shows you have life experience should be good - one example - I worked in an auto parts store as a driver/counter person - showed I had experience navigating areas, finding directions, customer service.......didn't have anything to do with the fire service, but still a plus.

It can also show you as being 'steady' - you worked for 4 years at one job - shows reliability and willingness to stay at a job.
    Last edited by pasobuff; 02-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member

I have applied to numerous jobs only listing my fire experience. Is that going to be a problem?

If I state other jobs I've had, what is the normal time in years I should go back? 5?

I also applied to the VA for a job and they make you fill out a form OF 306 before they will hire you, they actually ask on that form if you've ever quit or been fired from any job. The only problem with that is that I did not state any other work experience than fire jobs. Is that going to bite me in the butt later on?

Does the government still do the public trust questionnaire after you've been hired?

Forum Member

Put KSA's on your resume too, or you'll most likely not make it past the initial screening process

Thread Information