Thread: SCG Grant

Forum Member

Default SCG Grant

Our department applied for a fire station construction grant in 2009. We were confident, based on our argument of an unsafe location along with several other issues, that we would be successful in obtaining funding for our project. Its been nearly one year and we haven't heard anything at all on the grant. I know that one round has been awarded and a second round may come out in the very near future (from what I'm reading in here). In the meantime, we continue to pursue building a new fire station. I did call the DHS helpline today and I was told that if we haven't heard anything yet, we are still in the running. My questions are, 1.) Are they funding entire projects/project requests or are they funding only parts? 2.) Is no news truly good news or is my optimism decreasing for good reason? I know there are some "Grant Guru's" in here and I'm hoping that someone can at least shed some light on the progress of this funding.

MembersZone Subscriber

Round 2 has 14 awards that will be announced on Friday. Here's the list for Round 2:

FY 2009 ARRA SCG Final Allocations, announced February 3, 2010
    State City Recipient Allocation
    AR Horseshoe Lake Horseshoe Lake Volunteer Fire Department $765,813
    AR Little Rock Little Rock Fire Department $2,017,800
    CA South San Francisco South San Francisco Fire Department $1,811,925
    GA Jackson Butts County Fire Department $531,600
    IA Britt Britt Fire Department $491,040
    ME Lyman Goodwins Mills Fire & Rescue $879,753
    MI Holly North Oakland County Fire Authority $679,704
    MO Mapaville Mapaville Fire Protection District $925,363
    MT Kalispell Kalispell Fire Department $1,348,039
    OH Olmsted Township Olmsted Township Fire Department $1,954,079
    OR Klamath Falls Klamath County Fire District No. 1 $4,997,804
    OR Gates Gates Rural Fire Protection District $1,582,821
    RI East Providence East Providence Fire Department $5,297,222
    SD Keystone Hayward Fire and Emergency Services $196,000
    Total $23,478,963

There will be a small Round 3 sometime in the Spring for about 3-5 awards.

The DJ's are coming soon, my guess after Round 2 is announced. As they say no news is good news, but I'm not holding out for good news on our application as well.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Round 2 has 14 awards that will be announced on Friday. Here's the list for Round 2:

FY 2009 ARRA SCG Final Allocations, announced February 3, 2010
    State City Recipient Allocation
    AR Horseshoe Lake Horseshoe Lake Volunteer Fire Department $765,813
    AR Little Rock Little Rock Fire Department $2,017,800
    CA South San Francisco South San Francisco Fire Department $1,811,925
    GA Jackson Butts County Fire Department $531,600
    IA Britt Britt Fire Department $491,040
    ME Lyman Goodwins Mills Fire & Rescue $879,753
    MI Holly North Oakland County Fire Authority $679,704
    MO Mapaville Mapaville Fire Protection District $925,363
    MT Kalispell Kalispell Fire Department $1,348,039
    OH Olmsted Township Olmsted Township Fire Department $1,954,079
    OR Klamath Falls Klamath County Fire District No. 1 $4,997,804
    OR Gates Gates Rural Fire Protection District $1,582,821
    RI East Providence East Providence Fire Department $5,297,222
    SD Keystone Hayward Fire and Emergency Services $196,000
    Total $23,478,963

There will be a small Round 3 sometime in the Spring for about 3-5 awards.

The DJ's are coming soon, my guess after Round 2 is announced. As they say no news is good news, but I'm not holding out for good news on our application as well.
    Hey there OneBugle,

What do you know about the 2009 FP & S. I got an email requesting more info. back on Dec. 7. Haven't heard anything since I answered.

Forum Member

Bummer! I had heard through the grapevine that we did not get the SCG.

Oh well....39,000 for SCBA is one that makes me happy

Forum Member

Default Looking for Funding

It is my understanding that the station construction may not be available for next year. With that being said, We had a severe fire at our firestation on October 3 of last year. We are working with our insurance company to come up with a value. However, as all of us know that will not be enough to rebuild a fire station in today's world and for the future of our community. We are a small rural company that covers 56sq miles of service area and runs about 100 calls of engine, tanker and brush responses.

We are looking for any thoughts or ideas of additional funding. We are already working the local political line, and local foundations.

Does anyone have any additional ideas for funding???

Forum Member

Could try USDA Facility Loans/Grants, several departments have received help through this agency!

Forum Member

I second that on the USDA RD Facility low interest loans/grant. The grant is very small and dealing with RD is no quick and simple task but a fair amount of the ARRA funds were allotted to the USDA for this type of loan/grant. It would be worth your while checking into this.

Forum Member

Ya, thanks. That had been brought to our attention.

Anything else???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chief 111 View Post
    Ya, thanks. That had been brought to our attention.

Anything else???
    We are in the same boat as you. Have not gotten a DJ yet but I know there is one out there with our name on it. They wanted shovel ready projects and we had a short time to get all the info to them. The mayor got a grant writer from the state regional planning commission to write it and to me was a well written grant. We had the land along the main highway with no or very little site prep. There is a city street in the back so we could have drive throw bays for safety reasons. All the utilities were already there. Got the engineering done with the plans drawn up and got a good bottom line number for the construction to start. All got done in a short period of time. Now we have the need for a new station. Just up the street from the new industrial park where it is some very large industrial plants that make car parts and plans for more buildings in the works. We wanted a simple two bay station with sleeping quarters for men and women and a small kitchen. Everything that the application requested and for only $486.000. The ARRA program wanted to put jobs out there but the awards they gave did not make sense to me. Look at the cost of some of those awards. Two to three mils. / station. Now if they really wanted to spread the wealth than building four or five stations instead of one would make more sense to me but what do I know I just work for a living.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry Chief 111; I was trying to send a reply to McCook. That is what happens when you stick your finger in the wrong hole.

Forum Member

Red face not us!

Quote Originally Posted by mccookfirechief View Post
    Our department applied for a fire station construction grant in 2009. We were confident, based on our argument of an unsafe location along with several other issues, that we would be successful in obtaining funding for our project. Its been nearly one year and we haven't heard anything at all on the grant. I know that one round has been awarded and a second round may come out in the very near future (from what I'm reading in here). In the meantime, we continue to pursue building a new fire station. I did call the DHS helpline today and I was told that if we haven't heard anything yet, we are still in the running. My questions are, 1.) Are they funding entire projects/project requests or are they funding only parts? 2.) Is no news truly good news or is my optimism decreasing for good reason? I know there are some "Grant Guru's" in here and I'm hoping that someone can at least shed some light on the progress of this funding.
    We had one big roadblock in Nebraska when it came to the Station Grants. Nebraska was the only state that had a drop in unemployment at the time the reviews were being done and this grant was part of the Stimulus package. Its main intent was the creation of jobs in states and areas that suffered recent increases in double digit unemployment. Nebraska didn't report that, in fact if you remember they were reluctent to take part in the funding at first.

The majority of stimulus funding attained went to state agencies vs private interests. You probably will need to go to the CDBG grant then, if your population is small enough.

Thread Information