Forum Member

Default Questions for a Fire Inspector

Hi everyone, I just signed up here and I'm not sure if thi is the right place to post this or not but I figure'd I'd give it a try.

My name is Bobby Robinson, I'm taking classes at my local community college for my associate's degree in Fire Protection Sciences. This semester I'm taking an online course on Fundamentals of Fire Prevention. I haven't had my computer for a few days, and it turns out that I have an assignment due tomorrow. Since I have so little time to get this done I decided to try the internet and see if any of you can help me. The assignment is to learn about the position of a fire inspector, and I've been given the following questions to ask.

What are the general state (or local) laws that create, maintain, and empower his position?

What are the duties of the fire inspector?

What types (categories) of inspections does the inspector conduct? Which ones are more common? Are there any legal guidelines for inspections?

What kinds of professional development does he suggest in becoming or remaining a fire inspector?

What are the state fire prevention codes? How effective are they? Are they thorough? Do they do the job he thinks they should?

What kind of legal authority does he have?

What kind of enforcement authority does he have?

How great is his responsibility? What kinds of liability considerations does the inspector have?

How is his position affected by the judicial system?

When might he need to go to court?

How much weight does his position carry in court?

Does ohe oversee any type of permitting process? For what?

I appreciate any answers you can give me, if you fill this out please include your rank and the station/state where you work in.

Thank you -Bobby

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BibbyFritz View Post

What are the general state (or local) laws that create, maintain, and empower his position?Most municipalities adopt local ordinances or legislation, some use state laws/regulations.

What are the duties of the fire inspector? Inspectors in most municipalities perform inspections of existing buildings, an also work with Code Enforcement Officials performing plan reviews of land development plans/building construction plans of proposed new buildings or (major) renovations to existing buildings. Some may be charged with responding to emergencies as a responder.

What types (categories) of inspections does the inspector conduct? Which ones are more common? Are there any legal guidelines for inspections? Regular building inspections are scheduled, non-emergent inspections which are more common. Non-scheduled inspections may be the result of a complaint from a citizen or another agency within the municipality. Inspections may be guided by adopted ordinances or laws and procedures. I am bound by several internal policies/procedures as well as state guidelines and those contained within the International Fire Code.

What kinds of professional development does he suggest in becoming or remaining a fire inspector? As a minimum, Fire Inspector I and II, as well as any classes pertaining to building construction codes and enforcement. Some states require continuning education for certification. Any inspector worth half his weight will tell you experience, experience, experience. It's like firefighting, you get good by doing it over and over again. Take all the classes you can get your hands on.

What are the state fire prevention codes? How effective are they? Are they thorough? Do they do the job he thinks they should? Many municipalities, my own included, uses the International Code Council series of building codes, including the IFC (Internl Fire Code.) Yes they are very thorough. I believe they COULD do the job that the codes are intended to do as long as politicians leave their hands off of them and not limit the codes ability by bastardizing them (making amendments to them.)

What kind of legal authority does he have? Most have status as a Public Safety Official or a Code Enforcement Official.

What kind of enforcement authority does he have? I can write non-traffic citations and press charges against property owners for non-compliance.

How great is his responsibility? What kinds of liability considerations does the inspector have? It is a very big responsibility, that is not to be taken lightly. You need to know your stuff, as you could very well be dealing with civil rights (legality of entering properties with or without probable cause, serving cease and desist orders, ordering buildings vacated, declaring buildings uninhabitable, etc etc etc.

How is his position affected by the judicial system? If a charge is brought against a property owner and he/she is tried in a court.

When might he need to go to court? Property Owner fails to comply with orders to correct violations.

How much weight does his position carry in court? The same as a Law Enforcement Official. The Court is looking to you for your expertise and guidance in the laws and ordinances pertaining to the charges brought against the defendant. Any Inspector appearing in court is also only as good as the attorney he or she may be working with as the "prosecution."

Does ohe oversee any type of permitting process? For what? In many communities, the Fire Code Official can and does have a say in the permit process for anything falling under the jurisdiction of the Fire Code.

I appreciate any answers you can give me, if you fill this out please include your rank and the station/state where you work in. I am an ICC and Pennsylvania Certified Construction Code Official, and a Fire Inspector. I work for a Municipality in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Thank you -Bobby
    Next time when you know you have an assignment due, get your computer back or borrow one.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

That will work perfectly. I really appreciate that alot, thank you.

And yeah, I know, I really messed up on this assignment, it's the first one and it snuck up on me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BibbyFritz View Post
    That will work perfectly. I really appreciate that alot, thank you.

And yeah, I know, I really messed up on this assignment, it's the first one and it snuck up on me.
    Snuck up on you huh? I bet you knew about it for a while. Selective memory will not be good for obtaining your degree son. No offense but take some advice- get your collective sh*t together if you want to make it.

Forum Member

Default Homework

FWDBuff...Next time I have an assignment would you please do it for me....I guess his dog ate his homework.

Relax Fritz....a little Fire Department humor.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I'll be alright. Just need to get back into the habit of doing schoolwork, and keeping the dog away from it.

Forum Member

Pretty much the same in NY - 24 hours of in-service continuing ed required to keep the Code Enforcement Official certification current. NY follows ICC with bastardization of some things.......

Certified Code Enforcement Official, working for NYS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    FWDBuff...Next time I have an assignment would you please do it for me....I guess his dog ate his homework.

Relax Fritz....a little Fire Department humor.
    Jay, the first one is free. After that it will cost you a night with your cheerleader girlfriend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Jay, the first one is free. After that it will cost you a night with your cheerleader girlfriend.
    But he will take your mom in a pinch.

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    But he will take your mom in a pinch.

Wow I think I need to go get an engine or two to put out his fire.

Forum Member

Hey FWDBuff.

I have a report due in about 5 hours. I have other plans or I would do it myself. I know it is last minute but I know you can crunch a get it done by the deadline.

The report concerns the relocation of 5 Engine and 3 Truck Companies and crews between 10 stations, so we can improve our response times around the city. Of course this is a necessary move since our budget was cut and we had to sell off some Engines. So you can see how important this is.

Oh, by the way... I might be a little late picking it up from you since I plan on sleeping a little late. It will work out since my boss will most likely be reviewing my previous report.

I have a raise riding on this report, so I know you won't let me down.

Thanks, I owe you one.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Oh how I miss those days when life was so simple... and I didn't have to worry about little details.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Hey FWDBuff.

I have a report due in about 5 hours. I have other plans or I would do it myself. I know it is last minute but I know you can crunch a get it done by the deadline.

The report concerns the relocation of 5 Engine and 3 Truck Companies and crews between 10 stations, so we can improve our response times around the city. Of course this is a necessary move since our budget was cut and we had to sell off some Engines. So you can see how important this is.

Oh, by the way... I might be a little late picking it up from you since I plan on sleeping a little late. It will work out since my boss will most likely be reviewing my previous report.

Thanks, I owe you one.
    Have your cheerleader girlfriend come pick it up. In her uniform. With no panties.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by PaladinKnight
    Hey FWDBuff.

Thanks, I owe you one.
    Posted by FWD
    Have your cheerleader girlfriend come pick it up. In her uniform. With no panties.
    Rah Rah sis boom bah...fwd's gettin' some ya ya ya!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default ????

Really...are you guy's for real or does this happen often?????
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Really...are you guy's for real or does this happen often?????
    It happens as often as a character from an L. Frank Baum novel posts something that makes sense.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information