Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber jdlowndes's Avatar

Default Washer / Drying System

We just got our grant for a Washer/Extractor & Drying System ($12,000) this morning. Praise God!!!

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on who to look at, vendor that is, to get information... I am not up to date on this sorta thing!! Buit I want to be. Somebody help me out here with some reviews!

Thanks!!!

If it was me,

I have had a number of fire equipment dealers contact me about washer/extractors, BUT, after being involved with a couple of street laundries in the past, I went directly to the vendors who provide the SAME machines to the laundries.

Turns out, most of the fire equipment vendors were just two stepping the units from the vendors.

Much better pricing, and my support would come directly.

Ask whoever runs your laundries in town who they use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    If it was me,

I have had a number of fire equipment dealers contact me about washer/extractors, BUT, after being involved with a couple of street laundries in the past, I went directly to the vendors who provide the SAME machines to the laundries.

Turns out, most of the fire equipment vendors were just two stepping the units from the vendors.

Much better pricing, and my support would come directly.

Ask whoever runs your laundries in town who they use.
    Blake,

you've been around the block a few times haven't ya!

Anything to make a buck as long as its legal and at least semi-moral.... Grin...

I am still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

MembersZone Subscriber jdlowndes's Avatar

HAHAHA, bad news is, we have no laudries in Burkville... I will ask around though!

MembersZone Subscriber mmcneill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdlowndes View Post
    We just got our grant for a Washer/Extractor & Drying System ($12,000) this morning. Praise God!!!

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on who to look at, vendor that is, to get information... I am not up to date on this sorta thing!! Buit I want to be. Somebody help me out here with some reviews!

Thanks!!!
    We have received our 1199a and 10Qs for a Washer/Extractor and Drying cabinet. For some of the same reasons Blake has stated we are looking at a 60lb UniMac washer and the UniMac Drying cabinet. There are 2 commercial laundries here in our area that are using UniMac equipment and said they have been happy with the performance of equipment along with the service that they have gotten from the company.

We are just waiting for our award to get the equipment bid out and purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlowndes View Post
    HAHAHA, bad news is, we have no laudries in Burkville... I will ask around though!
    Three times I have come back to this wanting to make a comment, but I won't... Nope, aint going to do it. Not me....

MembersZone Subscriber mmcneill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Three times I have come back to this wanting to make a comment, but I won't... Nope, aint going to do it. Not me....
    Biting a hole in your tongue to be nice are we?

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had a few good discussions on this forum on that topic. Blake's right on--and in the absence of a local laundry check with the nearest hospital and/or a few hotels (clean, larger ones!!) to see who services them.

And...don't buy the biggest machine you can afford--make sure the capacity matches the normal way you will wash gear. Gotta do full loads in the extractors or you'll have balance-bearing issues. Our machine (30 or 35# unit) will wash 1.5 to 2 sets at a time, for a vollie dept with 20 members that's about all we want out of service at once.

earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    We've had a few good discussions on this forum on that topic. Blake's right on--and in the absence of a local laundry check with the nearest hospital and/or a few hotels (clean, larger ones!!) to see who services them.

And...don't buy the biggest machine you can afford--make sure the capacity matches the normal way you will wash gear. Gotta do full loads in the extractors or you'll have balance-bearing issues. Our machine (30 or 35# unit) will wash 1.5 to 2 sets at a time, for a vollie dept with 20 members that's about all we want out of service at once.

earl
    Very Good advice. A 20 or 30lb machine is the right size for most any fire station/dept. Bigger is not better. Big is expensive any will be sitting 95% of the time.

Forum Member

Just finishing the installation of our equipment purchased under our FY 2008 grant. We purchased Milnor stuff. We tried the getting information from the local laundry without much useful information. When we went to their vendor and asked about the equipment's NFPA compliance he said "what's NFPA?" Milnor makes both washer / extractors and gear dryers. Milnor's website was also user friendly. Not sure where you are, we used Gary Thackston of Yankee Equipment Systems 1-315-380-1271. He still needs to come back to do our final training, but to date he has been good to deal with, and very knowledgable.

MembersZone Subscriber

We bought a uni mac washer and a cissel drying cabinet. FYI Cissel and uni mac are the same company and you can get a cissel drying cabinet cheaper than a uni mac. Also the washer has to be put in a spot where is can drain alot of water quickly with out backing anything up these don't have pumps on them like regular at home washers.

We have a Milnor Gear Guardian Washer that got a hell of a workout last year between us and several neighboring departments when we had our arson spree (100+ incendiary fires) in 2008-2009. This was purchased as part of our 2006 AFG award and has worked just fine.

I then got a separate grant to purchase a dryer (foolishly didn't include it in the AFG award at the time) and went with the RamAir Gear Dryer. All of the gear is hung on "hangers" with forced air blowing through them; safe for the material.

Forum Member

Default new Washer and Dryer

you should call the Great Falls Fire Dept in S.C. they just put in a brand new Washer and dryer and the company they used helped them out greatly. capt's # is 803-385-1729 name is Russ. he can get you in contact with the Chief.

Forum Member

Default Dryer

We also went with milnor, but went with the "dehydrator for our dryer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Washer:

Wascomat Super Senior W640: 40# capacity

Dryer:

FRC Dry Gear Professional: 4 gear set up

Have had these for a number of years. With 40 members they do get some use and there have been no problems with either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking for a good narrative.

Any help with a narrative for Washer/Dryer.
    sfdkyrick@hotmail.com
    I have got 50 members on one department and 30 members on the second and they have no problem sharing.
    Thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber lfdmichael's Avatar

Default Be carefull when spec'ing non-fire washer

I don't know the spec's . on non fire related washer extractors G-forces but....

I do believe that the new nfpa 1851 and PPE compliance specifies a maximum g-force with extraction cycle, I also believe that some manu. had to slow down their machines to meet that spec. Be careful when looking at non fire stuff to make sure it complies, sounds like an NFPA rant but I'd hate to see your PPE ruined due to too fast a spin cycle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    I don't know the spec's . on non fire related washer extractors G-forces but....

I do believe that the new nfpa 1851 and PPE compliance specifies a maximum g-force with extraction cycle, I also believe that some manu. had to slow down their machines to meet that spec. Be careful when looking at non fire stuff to make sure it complies, sounds like an NFPA rant but I'd hate to see your PPE ruined due to too fast a spin cycle.
    The vendor we selected for our Milnor machine (5 years ago) provided us with a chart of recommended spin speeds for Aramid fibers as part of his bid--at that time i don't know if there was a reference in NFPA 1851 yet, but i'd have bet he would have put it in. Between price, specs, local service, other accounts, showing up on time (and on the right day) for scheduled meetings--he already had a lead. When he gave us an education on our industry (while the other two reverted to "those are just suggestions, you can't hurt this stuff" when asked about spin speed) it pretty much clinched the deal for him.

Higher spin speed throws out more water, but too high can break down the fabric.

earl

Smile

any help with a winning narrative would be greatly appreciated. Please send to junior480@hotmail.com thanks in advance jeff

Thread Information