Thread: Fire Helmets

Forum Member

Default Fire Helmets

I have a question regarding fire helmets. Is there any rule or law that would be against changing the liners of fire helmets? We have had some changes with officers and are wondering if we keep the shell and change the inner liner would that be alright by todays standards? The helmets are all the same make and style. Does that decrease the structural stability of the helmet? Can anyone please advise me on this question?

Forum Member

I think you are talking about replacing the entire guts of the helmet. If that is the case, you can do that. However, it costs almost as much as a new helmet anyhow.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcamm31 View Post
    I have a question regarding fire helmets. Is there any rule or law that would be against changing the liners of fire helmets? We have had some changes with officers and are wondering if we keep the shell and change the inner liner would that be alright by todays standards? The helmets are all the same make and style. Does that decrease the structural stability of the helmet? Can anyone please advise me on this question?

It is allowed. No major changes, modifications, have taken place.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Big bulky fire helmets are just so the NFPA can ruin tradition and make the industry have to spend more money. Real leather helmets worked for 100 years now we have to have helmets that don't fit our heads and are no more protective then the ones worn by firemen generations before us.

If you change the guts of the helmet the question is if it would still be NFPA compliant? Does your department require NFPA approved helmets? Are you removing the "impact liner" too?

I think the industry should put some of these NFPA myths to the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by virginiaff1 View Post
    big bulky fire helmets are just so the nfpa can ruin tradition and make the industry have to spend more money. Real leather helmets worked for 100 years now we have to have helmets that don't fit our heads and are no more protective then the ones worn by firemen generations before us.

If you change the guts of the helmet the question is if it would still be nfpa compliant? Does your department require nfpa approved helmets? Are you removing the "impact liner" too?

I think the industry should put some of these nfpa myths to the test.
    yessir!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaFF1 View Post
    Big bulky fire helmets are just so the NFPA can ruin tradition and make the industry have to spend more money. Real leather helmets worked for 100 years now we have to have helmets that don't fit our heads and are no more protective then the ones worn by firemen generations before us.

If you change the guts of the helmet the question is if it would still be NFPA compliant? Does your department require NFPA approved helmets? Are you removing the "impact liner" too?

I think the industry should put some of these NFPA myths to the test.
    I think it is time to give Adam and Jamie a call.

Thread Information