Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 questionq

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2010 questionq

Now that we have been awarded its time to move on to 2010. We are in need of full turnouts head to toe currently we have 10 sets that are 7 years old they are starting to look pretty bad. We also have 15 sets that are 20+ years old, they look really bad. We have 18 members,all volunteer and run around 300 calls a year. My question is would it be safe to ask for 25 sets so I could replace all of these old sets, or would it be better just to outfit the guys we have?

You'll only be awarded enough for your current roster. So if you list 18 members, you'll be reduced to 18 sets. With this being the case, why tempt your fate by skewing your cost/benefit with costs?

Apply for 18 sets as long as you can justify why the 3 that are "looking pretty bad" are unsafe and keep those 4 other "looking pretty bad" ones for your spare gear.

If awarded, worst case is that they only consider the 15 that are 20+ years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since some of the PPE is under 10 years old; you will have to explain clearly what "starting to look pretty bad" really means. What is wrong with the PPE & Why it got that way.

MembersZone Subscriber

The reason why we feel that the ones that are less than 10 years old need to be replaced is that our former chief went with cheap gear. while I know that that's not a good enough reason they have turned Orange and became very stiff. I know the next question is gonna be have they been cared for properly? Honestly I can say yes they have been cleaned according to manufacturer specs, we have tried to work with the manufacturer to correct this problem with no luck.

Forum Member

I believe I am going to have to go for PPE again as well...Was awarded on our 2006 AFG for 18 sets...but since May of 2009 we have had an increase in membership of over 50%. I have 12 people sharing gear now, the first one in the door gets the gear, the other stays at the station. On that grant we got wildland gear for 19 people and I'm even taking that from ones that have structural gear to give to ems people to use. If I would have known we would have had such a large increase in membership I would have wrote last years grant for PPE, but we got 72k for rescue and that will complete that project.

One of our neighboring departments got a PPE grant for 30 sets. I'm probably goin to go talk with them about what they plan on doing with their old sets to see if there are some that I can borrow til we get our own.

Forum Member

Question Help needed

I am new to the AFG program and I am wanting to put in for the 2010 AFG for a backup generator. I have 2 local companies working on the bids. I need help with any narratives in that past that has been successfull. Please reply to ngfdsteve@verizon.net with them. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I need help from anyone out there for information on a backup generator for afg. all help greatly appericated

Thread Information