MembersZone Subscriber

Default How are you making out in the blizzard?

We're hearing a lot about the blizzard thats hitting Washington area? How bad isit there? Any big emergencies? Hope everyone is coping alright.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talked to a buddy of mine on Montgomery County FD....he said he had 36 inches of snow in his front yard and still coming down. Everything is basically shut down.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank God, it missed us this time. But there is a big storm on the west cost and it is heading this way, with more snow in the forecast.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

We got off easy, only about 20" of snow, but hearing that we might get more on Tuesday or Wednesday. I spent Friday night and most of Saturday at the station. Fortunately things were pretty quiet in our area. There have been several building collapses in neighboring counties.

Now it's time to dig out the driveway since I wasn't home to try and keep up while the snow was falling.

Forum Member

There was a blizzard?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    There was a blizzard?
    Yes, and it was delicious. Mmmmmm, peanut butter cup.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Yes, and it was delicious. Mmmmmm, peanut butter cup.
    No, Oreo is much better!

As to the original question of how I am "making out" in the blizzard, if I had had a blizzard here, I'd say probably under a blanket or at least on the couch.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Was "stuck" in Florida due to the snow up north. Got home Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday.

It was rough.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Was "stuck" in Florida due to the snow up north. Got home Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday.

It was rough.
    We didn't get any snow up North.... Matter fact, up here in the north we are in a snow drought. Stinking Global Warming...... LMAO!!!! I'm thinking the people in and around the DC area are praying for some warming right now.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    We're hearing a lot about the blizzard thats hitting Washington area? How bad isit there? Any big emergencies? Hope everyone is coping alright.
    What am I (did I) make? "A hat. A broach. A terradachtal....." "Looks like I picked a bad day to quit drinking." heheheeheheheheheee
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Saturday night wasn't bad. We had NO warning about the snowstorm or freezing conditions, so when one of our bridges froze over (Lesner Bridge, Shore DR/US Rt 60) we had a couple of accidents and had to close it and wait 2 hours for sand trucks. One vehicle overturned and took almost that long to right it, tow trucks kept sliding on the ice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRube View Post
    Saturday night wasn't bad. We had NO warning about the snowstorm or freezing conditions, so when one of our bridges froze over (Lesner Bridge, Shore DR/US Rt 60) we had a couple of accidents and had to close it and wait 2 hours for sand trucks. One vehicle overturned and took almost that long to right it, tow trucks kept sliding on the ice.
    No warning? I could not get away from the news BEFORE the storm hit between MSNBC, the local affiliates, and the Weather channel.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Well I wouldn't exactly called the 20 plus inches we got a blizzard. It sure did snow alot and it took me a day and a half to dig out the drive way but it certainly wasn't a blizzard.

Forum Member

We received over 2 feet on top of a foot and a half from another storm up here in Northern Virginia.

I worked on Saturday and never got in bed the time I was on shift. Sunday, when I did get home I slept for several hours and missed part of the super bowl. My Colts lost.

Now they are saying maybe another foot today and tonight.

Fairfax County lost a fire house and some apparatus because of the snow accumulated on a roof of station 10, aka as 410. Other stations are in jeopardy as well.

This site has good coverage: http://statter911.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

It was rough.
    I had that problem getting out of NOLA after Super Bowl XXIV.Everyone else on my boat was waiting for seats on a plane and I called the crew dispatcher to tell her to put me on a bus to Memphis.She'd forgotten that there are other ways to travel across country.
    With "no warning"(weatherguessers can't watch patterns farther West?Is that a union rule or something?),we "only" got 5" of snow and ice but the streets of Memphis cleared when it warmed enough to rain.Still,the idjits were out in force yesterday seeing how far they could slide in turns an other stupid human tricks that caused the PO-lice to handle 140 wreck calls.
    Today,the city kids had to go but pretty much every other school system is still closed.

Forum Member

Well last night it didn't look to bad, this morning well it was a different story. I looked out the window this morning and knew that there was no way I was getting out of the driveway today.

Forum Member

We are expecting 'only' about 6 inches of snow or so.....IF the storm stays a little South. Not a big deal, unlike the 4 foot drift (PACKED) across @50 feet of driveway a few years ago (2006?).......had to get a neighbor with the snow blower on the back of the tractor to clear it enough to get the plow in.......

The drive home should be interesting - as soon as I hear the FD starting to go out to auto accidents instead of sick calls I'm getting out of here!

Forum Member

They are calling for 1" of snow and sleet here tonight and tommarrow.

The EOC is likely to be activated, and I'm not joking.

I won't be around for most of it as I have to head downstate this afternoon for a class tommarrow, but I may be driving back into it tommarrow evening.

Yes, I did say 1" .... So stop laughing!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    They are calling for 1" of snow and sleet here tonight and tommarrow.

The EOC is likely to be activated, and I'm not joking.

I won't be around for most of it as I have to head downstate this afternoon for a class tommarrow, but I may be driving back into it tommarrow evening.

Yes, I did say 1" .... So stop laughing!
    Just remember....slow and steady gets you home in one piece!

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Just remember....slow and steady gets you home in one piece!
    So drive fast and reckless

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    So drive fast and reckless
    And be the one I'm laughing at as I drive by slow and steady and make it home in one piece!

Banned

We usually get that kind of snowfall every year in Upstate NY. Looks like our winter has gone south.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    We usually get that kind of snowfall every year in Upstate NY. Looks like our winter has gone south.

Ok - I have to ask...what part of Upstate are you talking about?.....we still have snow on the ground!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    No warning? I could not get away from the news BEFORE the storm hit between MSNBC, the local affiliates, and the Weather channel.
    Oh, WE had plenty of warning. It was the other idiots in the city, like Highways, that didn't get the sand trucks out.

Forum Member

Got about a foot or so. I am sooooo glad I have a snow blower.

Thread Information