Forum Member

Default Overweight student

Ok so here is the deal, I am currently a student at a local community college. I am 6'0 and i weigh 238 pounds. I am clearly out of shape. I am a husky build like my father who is in good shape but still looks like a big guy. My problem is next quarter I'm trying to become a fire cadet. I wanted to this quarter but A I know I'm not in shape, I mean I looked over the agility test and I know I can pass it but still. B Paperwork was still being processed when the 20 avail. slots filled. My real problem is for the last two months I have been trying to lose weight and have not lost a single pound. I count calories (Eat less than 2100 a day) and my BMI says I would have to eat 3500 a day and be a couch potato to maintain my weight. But I lift weights and do cardio for a couple hours a day 3 or 4 days a week but I have not seen a single change. I feel like this is truly the only thing holding me back. I know no FD is going to hire some overweight 20 year old when there are people more physically fit trying for the same job. I was hoping that some of you may know how to remedy my situation perhaps tips or hints that could possibly help me out.

Note: National Avg for my Height/Age/Build is 204 which seems unachievable at this rate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't give up. It will come with time, and hard work. And remember, muscle weighs more than fat.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Duplicate post...
    Last edited by zzyyzx; 02-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

First, I hate BMI and "national averages." They seldom seem realistic.

Of course, you should check with your doctor before any changes in your exercise/diet routines. Take a step back and look at your daily habits. When are you eating your meals? You should be eating at least 5 times throughout the day. What are you eating? I can eat 2100 cal in Snickers bars but I may not lose weight. For your weight training, you should be doing more reps with less weight and consider doing some sort of circuit training. For your cardio, try to keep your heart rate around the 120-130ish range. Also, change your exercises every couple weeks so your body can't adapt to the same stuff. Keep a journal with you and write down everything you eat and drink.

If you can honestly say that you have been trying to do this, it may be worth a trip to a medical doctor that specializes in weight loss. First, they should run some tests to make sure everything is alright and then use this information to build a nutritional program for you. They may suggestion some vitamin supplements (not the stuff from GNC, but more like regular vitamins). Remember that a realistic healthy weight loss is less than 5 pounds per month.
    Last edited by zzyyzx; 02-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Banned

When I got out of basic training a few years back I was 6'2" 210 pounds. According to the goofy charts I was overweight. At the time I had 6 pack abs, as opposed to the keg abs I now have. I could do push ups all day long and run the mile in 5 minutes. Ignore those silly charts, pay attention to the agility test and what you need to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    When I got out of basic training a few years back I was 6'2" 210 pounds. According to the goofy charts I was overweight. At the time I had 6 pack abs, as opposed to the keg abs I now have. I could do push ups all day long and run the mile in 5 minutes. Ignore those silly charts, pay attention to the agility test and what you need to do.
    At the risk of damaging my rep. I agree with ScareCrow57. This is excellent advice.

Back In Black

Counting calories works. If you take in less then your body needs you will lose.

If you are working out and actively putting on muscle mass, then you might not be losing weight. However, you are going to be stronger and more fit (and less fat). Remember muscle weighs more than fat.

Get a set of calipers and take some body fat measurements.

As others have mentioned, height and weight charts are not the be all and end all.

Are you running? How far can you run and in what time?
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 02-07-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

You can't train a bad diet! Eat alot of chicken and salad but don't torture yourself on your diet just keep it up. I was in the same boat as you i just went nuts on the elipticle
    (to save my knees the pounding) and like the earlier post said lots of reps of mid weight not 3-4 max weight.

What i do to this day is think of my dream dept when i'm getting tired and imagine them saying (you get it done and you got a spot on our dept) YOU WILL GET IT DONE! trust me.

Keep it up! if you want it that bad it will happen. Also apply every where you can not just cadet but for FF aswell who knows you may just get the spot .

Cheers!

Forum Member

Get a tapeworm.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Get a tapeworm.
    Lol not a thread here can continue without a spot of humor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Good info.

I am 6'5, close to 250 and in great shape. Forget all that height to weight ratio nonsense.

Forum Member

If you are increasing your running endurance, and increasing strength it is possible that you aren't loosing weight due to more muscle and less fat.

Forum Member

Pass the CPAT. Screw the charts.

Strength train. If you're over the "chart weight" but you bench press 300, it'll wash.

Forum Member

In all honesty I do not believe that you are trying very hard. Be in a 500 calorie deficit diet and work from there. Eat healthy, not just low calories they should be good calories. When you workout out, work hard dont just go through the motions. As for lifting do some tabata work. Cardio wise if you just want to lose the fat in the quickest way possible do HIIT training as opposed to long distance cardio. Also I agree that those charts are bogus, but dont get it in your head that its all this new found muscle why you havent lost weight, youll just be teasing yourself. Yes you have probably gained some muscle mass but not nearly enough to keep your weight stagnant. Work hard and clean up your diet.

Forum Member

Is your fitness level improving? Don't get caught up on weight. You need to pass an agility test, not pass a weigh in for what you are trying to do. If you are able to run faster and further and lift more weight why worry? As someone else said try calipers and doing some skin fold measurements. Are your clothes feeling loose or baggy?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Some people lose inches faster than pounds ... measure your upper arms, chest, waist, thighs and calves.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

My BMI is 28. In the academy, with 6% body fat and less muscle mass, I was a 27. BMI is stupid, performance is everything. That idiotic chart wants me to be 170. That would make me a beanpole. 5'10" 170 lbs? Srsly? I would like to slap the no doubt anorexic moron who designed that idiocy. It would probably break his feeble bird bones.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sixthehard View Post

What i do to this day is think of my dream dept when i'm getting tired and imagine them saying (you get it done and you got a spot on our dept) YOU WILL GET IT DONE! trust me.
    I do this same thing. And to always keep that in Mind. I wear my Dream departments shirt when at the gym. (Boston FD) It pushes me to do more while I am there.

I am with others on here about the gaining muscle at the same rate of losing fat. I been hitting the gym for months. I stay right around 160lbs but I know I am feeling healther and more fit as time goes.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I stay right around 160lbs
    I remember being a high school freshman, too.

Forum Member

Just for fun I looked up my BMI (6'2", 165 lbs) and it said I was 21 or so. I'm the skinniest person on the planet and my BMI is 2-3 points about the underweight. Stuff is wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    I remember being a high school freshman, too.
    +10 points to you sir.

Bash and flame me all you want. There are far too many out of shape/scrawny guys in the fire service.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Go see your Doctor. Have a blood test and urinalisys done. Rule out the fact that you may be retaining fluids due to thyroid, or kidney problems.

Then get a tapeworm.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I believe BMI was first invented in the early to mid 1800's. With the advances in nutrition and the changes in our society, we are bigger today than 150+ years ago. Just about any pro athlete would be considered obese by BMI standards. It doesn't take into account someone who is muscular.

A better indication is figuring your body fat %. You may be staying the same weight but losing fat and gaining muscle which means your body fat % is going down. Good luck and work hard, it's worth it.

Forum Member

Aklan ..

As long as you don't agree with both Scarecrow and me in the same thread, your rep will be ok.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    +10 points to you sir.

Bash and flame me all you want. There are far too many out of shape/scrawny guys in the fire service.
    I shall use them to buy a pony.

And congrats on the Super Bowl.

Thread Information