Forum Member

Default Looking for something in NFPA, little help please

I am looking for something in the NFPA that says you have to consume food in the kitchen and not in your living quarters. Ie. day room, bunk room, computer room etc... I am deployed at the moment and pretty soon the critters will be out and I dont want to have animals running around inside. I looked through NFPA 1581 and didnt find anything. Does anyone know if there is such a thing in the NFPA's or is it just a SOG thing. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA does not address this issue. OSHA would be the agency that would rule on such activities, and they only have a prohibition against food being stored or eaten around chemicals or bio hazards.
    This also would not be an SOG (Standard Operating Guidelines), rather a SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). The difference is an SOG is treated as a suggestion, or a guide or how to respond or act, and an SOP would be a hard and fast rule, non flexible.
    This should be covered in your department's policy regarding station cleaning. If a FF cannot clean up after him\her self maybe the whole station needs a field day every time you find it dirty, or a trip to the Chief.

Forum Member

Are we really looking in NFPA to see where we have to eat food? Whatever happened to common sense.

Forum Member

Are we really looking in NFPA to see where we have to eat our food? Whatever happened to common sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

Before you looked this up in NFPA did you look in 1710/1720 to see if your FD is meeting it's obligation to the community and yourselves? It kills me when people pick and choose the most obscure BS from NFPA and then ignore the part that really could make the job safer.

Do all your rules and regulations have to come from NFPA or OSHA? If it's a real issue the dept. should be able to handle it.

Sounds like you want something to change and can't get it done, so you're grasping at straws to find some obscure ruling?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sometimes I wonder how some of these FD's ever put a fire out. They are so bogged down in minutae and petty nonsense, that they lose sight of the damn mission.

OP, please please please tell us that this is a joke.

If its not a joke, you need to get a life.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is ... FU'd up.

As posted, do you comply with every other bit of NFPA?

Do you need something to do to occupy your time?

Sheesh.

You eat. You clean up after yourself. You don't you may find your
    mess in your rack.

Forum Member

National
    Food
    Policing
    Admin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how some of these FD's ever put a fire out. They are so bogged down in minutae and petty nonsense, that they lose sight of the damn mission.

OP, please please please tell us that this is a joke.

If its not a joke, you need to get a life.

George, you are very correct on this.

I believe that some of these guys just get in here and post questions that are stupid at best on the be posting.

Some haven't enough time on the job to fully understand why the apparatus are backed into the house, let alone to post some bs as they do in their early subscription membership.

They need to be studying the apparatus' tools, appliances as well as streets, hydrants and target areas!

Most officers now days came up as today's probies have with no home leadership and no military time behind them prior on becoming a firefighter. All are laxed!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Before you looked this up in NFPA did you look in 1710/1720 to see if your FD is meeting it's obligation to the community and yourselves? It kills me when people pick and choose the most obscure BS from NFPA and then ignore the part that really could make the job safer.

Amen brother. Whenever someone buys a firetruck they follow the standard to the T, can not deviate from that at all. When it comes to deciding how many firefighters to staff that truck with, suddenly NFPA is out the window and is only a guideline.

Forum Member

To be fair, note that the OP wrote that he is "deployed" and his username is "USAFfiredog". That means he is either a military FF or contract FF employed by the military. Unless you have been in the DoD fire service, you cannot believe the emphasis they place on NFPA. If there were an applicable passage in an NFPA document regarding the prohibition of food in living quarters, it would be treated as the word of GOD and there would be no need for further justification. Since this isn't in NFPA, he is going to have to write a long draft SOP with millions of references to justify what should be common sense. There is no bureaucracy in the world more ridiculous than the DoD fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    There is no bureaucracy in the world more ridiculous than the DoD fire service.
    Worse than the DOT/DMV?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    To be fair, note that the OP wrote that he is "deployed" and his username is "USAFfiredog". That means he is either a military FF or contract FF employed by the military. Unless you have been in the DoD fire service, you cannot believe the emphasis they place on NFPA. If there were an applicable passage in an NFPA document regarding the prohibition of food in living quarters, it would be treated as the word of GOD and there would be no need for further justification. Since this isn't in NFPA, he is going to have to write a long draft SOP with millions of references to justify what should be common sense. There is no bureaucracy in the world more ridiculous than the DoD fire service.
    Exactly Gunny. It is a world of difference on the other side of things. With that said, on a personal note, I think the NFPA is a worthless and corrupt organization. Just ask Total Fire Group.

Some blow hards on here can't wait to jump down someones throat, though.
    Last edited by MassFireGuy; 02-08-2010 at 06:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Some blow hards on here can't wait to jump down someones throat, though.
    And you're such a f@&$ing saint.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    And you're such a f@&$ing saint.
    Haha. I've been told that before.

Thread Information