Forum Member

Question Where do you carry your mini Halligan (Lil Pro 12" Halligan)?

I just got the 12" Lil Pro Halligan and put some grip tape on it so it isn't real slick and everything. Now I do not know where to carry the darn tool. I want to have it readily available at any time, but where should I carry it and where do you carry it?

Forum Member

Where there's always a truck belt if you have one. Or you could figure something out to have it on your SCBA, assuming you have your own. It's a hard tool to stow on your body due to the fact you always have something sticking out.

Forum Member

They are about as useful as tits on a bull. I was given one a few years back. I carried it for about 2 weeks. They are too lightweight to be of any use as a striking tool, and their short length offers no leverage when used to pry.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-07-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    They are about as useful as tits on a bull. I was given one a few years back. I carried it for about 2 weeks. They are too lightweight to be of any use as a striking tool, and their short length offers no leverage when used to pry.
    I have seen more and more of these in guys lockers for this exact reason. They look good on a bookshelf too.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Stuff like this always seems like a good idea. Then you use it for a shift and find out it was all a gimmick. God love the firemen. thefirestore.com needs to stay in business somehow.

Forum Member

"In Defense of the Lil' Pro*"

The original poster said he wants it on him all the time. I'll go against the grain here a little bit and say it's not the worst thing you could carry around. All kinds of stuff can and does happen in fires, and if there's no single other phrase that stuck with me from drill school, I'll always remember, "There's nothing more useless than a fireman without a tool."
    The guy who said that was a guest from NYC, along with a fireman from LA City, and a couple of other guys who were doing the first "Save Your Own" classes in the late '90s ( the Denver Drill, etc...). He then proceeded to show us a couple of examples of breeching a wall with a spanner, and some other stuff. The point being: have something on your person at all times. If you're an engine man, it's a bit impractical to carry a full sized tool and move the hose around. If you're a truckee? Well, stuff happens... I think the mini pro-bars are a better "something" than the spanner.
    If you don't wanna go all the way with a truck belt, you could go with just the ring accessory. At the beginning of each shift, put the ring on your BA belt and drop the pro-bar in. Just be careful not to stab your liver when you start rough-housing.

*and similar tools...

Forum Member

Where can u find these mini halligans at? I've looked everywhere!

Forum Member

Search "mini pro bar"

If your city has a Lowes or Home Depot, an inexpensive personal tool you might check out: Stanley Fubar. I don't have one, but have been tempted.

Forum Member

I keep a Hot Wheel, a rubber band, some lint, two nickels, a tooth, and a marble in one pocket.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I keep a Hot Wheel, a rubber band, some lint, two nickels, a tooth, and a marble in one pocket.
    I can see the use of most of those things, but two nickels? More than one is either taking up space or else you're just trying to look cool.

The only thing better than finding money in the wash is the rare occasion you find money in your turnouts...

Forum Member

That's so I can show people how well off I am.
    IAFF

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I keep a Hot Wheel
    A little toy car, or just a wheel that is warm?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by safdkiltie View Post
    Search "mini pro bar"

If your city has a Lowes or Home Depot, an inexpensive personal tool you might check out: Stanley Fubar. I don't have one, but have been tempted.
    They (Stanley) acutally make an emergency services style Fubar. Look on the website

MembersZone Subscriber

i carry mine on the truck. is this going to be one of those what's in your bunker gear questions.

Thread Information