Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool what shift do u prefer??

Our department is about to move into a new station and we will be going to some variant of a 24hr shift around June. We currently work a 2 10's and 2 14's with 4 days off. Our top options are a 24/48 or a modified 24,-24,24,-24,24,-4 days ("have heard many names for this shift don't know the correct one") which one of these or possibly another shift does everyone prefer or have any pro's or con's of each?......

Quote Originally Posted by Tnpipeman View Post
    Our department is about to move into a new station and we will be going to some variant of a 24hr shift around June. We currently work a 2 10's and 2 14's with 4 days off. Our top options are a 24/48 or a modified 24,-24,24,-24,24,-4 days ("have heard many names for this shift don't know the correct one") which one of these or possibly another shift does everyone prefer or have any pro's or con's of each?......
    That shift is usually referred to as the LA City, I believe.

If you are on a 10/14 whats the problem?? I'd stay with that one.

The better one if you can swing it, is the DCFD 24/72
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

The 10's and 14's are a great schedule, but with our staffing to have 4 on an engine we have to be on some sort of a 3 platoon shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

24,-24,24,-24,24,-4 days
    This is the shift everyone in our area works (except the ambulance crews). It is all I have ever worked but we love it.

ABABCDCD.

Requisite characters due to stupid firehouse setting.

Brevity is the soul of wit, webteam.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

If your working 2 days, 2 nights with 4 days off, your are working a 42 hour work week with 4 shifts. The shifts at the end of your paragraph are 56 work weeks with 3 shifts. Are they increasing your hours?

we currently work 2016 hours a year so it will alittle bit

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by R1SAlum View Post
    If your working 2 days, 2 nights with 4 days off, your are working a 42 hour work week with 4 shifts. The shifts at the end of your paragraph are 56 work weeks with 3 shifts. Are they increasing your hours?
    That was what I was seeing as well. Do tell, is this a way to increase staffing per shift or reduce overall staffing and maintain the minimum per unit?

Forum Member

If you've got four platoons, go 24/72. My brother works it in NJ and loves it. If you guys are switching to three platoons to increase staffing, go with the three on/ four off. We work it, and it's not too bad. Do some research on the 48/96 too (2 on in a row, 4 days off). I've heard it's becoming a favorite....

We are going to increase staffing with what we have we are a small combination department, however we dont know how the city is going to handle the pay we have been told "kelly" days to keep us out of overtime and the possibility of getting hit with 16 hours with "IS" so its all up in the air we just know we are going to a 24hour shift.

We still work 10's and 14's with 4 off.

The vast majority of the FD's working 24's are on the 24 on, 24 of, 24 on, 5 off schedule.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Ok here you go the 4 day and the 5 day off schedule

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Here's a link to a quick video explaining the benefits of the 48/96. There's a fair bit of info out there on it. It is becoming quite popular out west.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qz05YOBJ9s

I've been slowly exploring a trial period here at our department.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are going to increase staffing with what we have we are a small combination department, however we dont know how the city is going to handle the pay we have been told "kelly" days to keep us out of overtime and the possibility of getting hit with 16 hours with "IS" so its all up in the air we just know we are going to a 24hour shift.
    A few things to note. FLSA says they can pay you straight pay for 53 hrs and anything over must be 1.5X. So you are not entitled to time and a half over 40 hrs unless you can prove your EMS employees and do not meet he fire exemption.

Do you have a current FT schedule or are you starting up the FT division of the FD? I'm sure the first formative years will require some give and take to get used to what's actually going to work best. Maybe you can trial the most attractive shift schedule and have options down the road?

Default Hours

We just went to a 48-96 last year and the crews love it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    A few things to note. FLSA says they can pay you straight pay for 53 hrs and anything over must be 1.5X. So you are not entitled to time and a half over 40 hrs unless you can prove your EMS employees and do not meet he fire exemption.

Do you have a current FT schedule or are you starting up the FT division of the FD? I'm sure the first formative years will require some give and take to get used to what's actually going to work best. Maybe you can trial the most attractive shift schedule and have options down the road?
    we currently work the 10's and 14's with 4 off. and our city wont pay us overtime until 212 in 28 day period. how many hours a year does the 48/96 work out to be?

MembersZone Subscriber

how many hours a year does the 48/96 work out to be?
    Same as typical 56 hour week. For the most part there are three platoon systems, three platoon with Kelly days and four platoon systems. 56 hrs, 48 hrs or 42 hours. There are some different ones out there, but i'm willing to bet these are by far the most common no matter how you make up the schedule.

does anyone work the La shift (24,-24,24,-24,24,-4) and does anyone like it?

MembersZone Subscriber

We work the 24/48 and I like it. A neighboring department works the "LA" as you guys are calling it and they like it. A lot of it's what you get used to. I like the fact I have two days off, they like their four days off. I couldn't see going to theirs and most of them don't like the idea of going to ours.

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone work the La shift (24,-24,24,-24,24,-4) and does anyone like it?
    All the departments in my area use it and we like it.

Thread Information