Forum Member

Default After EMTB what should I do?

Not counting my eggs before they hatch but what should I do after EMTB? Assuming that I pass the class, what should I do next? Are there other certs I should get? Such as Firefighter I, how does that work? Do I need to wait to get hired to take it or should I go ahead and take it? I really want to join a Volunteer department but we are planning on moving in about a year unless I get lucky and get hired onto one of the departments where Im at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by trojans15 View Post
    Not counting my eggs before they hatch but what should I do after EMTB? Assuming that I pass the class, what should I do next? Are there other certs I should get? Such as Firefighter I, how does that work? Do I need to wait to get hired to take it or should I go ahead and take it? I really want to join a Volunteer department but we are planning on moving in about a year unless I get lucky and get hired onto one of the departments where Im at.
    I would get FF1 and FF2. This is the minimum standard for paid firefighters. After that I would get some EMS experience and go to Paramedic school. Most places want you to have at least a year as a working EMT before this. Medic school is anywhere from 1-2 years and is a HUGE commitment, but medics are the ones getting hired these days. FF1 and FF2, as well as paramedic are offerd at many community colleges. You don't need FF1 or FF2 to get hired but it looks good. Joining a volunteer fire dept would be a wise decision too. This way you can get experience and training. I would wait to do that until you move, since most departments wait a while before giving you gear. In the meantime you can always look for an EMS agency to work for. Good luck bro.
    Last edited by merchan5967; 02-08-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Thread Information