Forum Member

Default AFFF for general use ?

Hi,
    I just switched departments, and my new chief wants me to put on a class on CAFS. OK, I got out my notes and wrote a lesson plan. Then, he casually mentioned that he had been given (free!) about 250 gallons of AFFF, some of which is in the tanks on the CAFS engine. (NOTE: this truck has never seen Class A foam, so gelling is not a problem.)

HELP - what can you folks tell me about using AFFF for structural and wildland fires? What percentage for structures? How about to make "shaving cream" to protect exposures? Right now, we default to .3%.

This is a new department, with many needs, so buying Class A is not possible at this time.

Thanks in advance.
    Sleuth

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Whats the manufactuer of the foam have to say about the situation you detail?

MembersZone Subscriber

You have a CAFS truck but can't come up with $60/pail for Class A foam? We run on $12000/yr and can make that work as near 1st priority on budget.

Call the Mfg with stock/lot numbers. CAFS uses Class A foam. Milspec AFFF (I guessing what is where your free foam came from) is usable on Cl A fires but doubtfull you can get the goop thru a proportioner on a CAFS unit (too viscous/thick).

Forum Member

Read IFSTA Driver/Operator 2nd Edition. Chapter 15 will give you all the info you need to know to put your class on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    You have a CAFS truck but can't come up with $60/pail for Class A foam? We run on $12000/yr and can make that work as near 1st priority on budget.

Call the Mfg with stock/lot numbers. CAFS uses Class A foam. Milspec AFFF (I guessing what is where your free foam came from) is usable on Cl A fires but doubtfull you can get the goop thru a proportioner on a CAFS unit (too viscous/thick).
    Exactly what I was thinking of, won't work. Gotta remember if AFFF and class A were the same, do the same things, why have two?. AFFF is a film forming, Class A will penetrate are but a few of the differences.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

You already have AFFF in the CAFS tank?

You are in for a lot of headache...

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have regular AFFF, then it is probably very similar in viscosity to class A foam. The foam system should have no issues pumping it through the proportioner

If you have AR-AFFF you will find the foam is thick and gooey and will probably have issues being pumped through the proportioner.

Find out what system you have, check the compatible concentrate list and verify with the foam you have to see if they will play well together.

AFFF can be used on class A fires with very similar results. It contains the same types of "detergents" that class A foams have as well as the additional ingridients to make it a class B foam.

Using AFFF at between .1 to .5 percent is the typical rate for class A app. You will find that the higher the percentage of foam, the more bubbles\, nothing says you cant go to 1%. Just remember, if you havent calibrated your foam system according to the manufacturers instructions and arent using a compatible foam for your foam system, then the number on your proportioner is nothing more than a "feel good" and you will probably be proportioning lean (not enough foam).

Using AFFF for class A app's will work, but there are different environemtal and handling issues as well as the sheer cost difference. If the stuff you have will work (with your foam system) until you use it up and you can't afford to buy foam, shouldnt be an issue as long as you verify environmental impact and system compatibility.

Hale compatible foams:
    http://www.haleproducts.com/_Downloa...patibility.pdf

Foam Pro:
    http://www.foampro.com/en-us/Reference/

Pierce:
    https://www.pierceparts.com/index.ph...enance_manuals

Forum Member

Thanks for all of your comments. The Chief found the spec sheet, I have all the answers I need for the class.

When you start a department from nothing, you have infinite needs, and a limited income. Thus free foam means all members have turnouts, tools, etc. It's all a balancing act, and saving money where we can.

Thanks agian for your input.
    Sleuth

Thread Information