Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Firefighters and back surgery

Hey everybody, not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this but really need a little help. I'm a firefighter, in middle of my career, with IOD herniated disc that looks like it's going to surgery. I'm having an ACDF with hardware on C6-7. I'm just trying to find any firefighters who have successfully returned to the job after a fusion in their neck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by slocityhoseman View Post
    Hey everybody, not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this but really need a little help. I'm a firefighter, in middle of my career, with IOD herniated disc that looks like it's going to surgery. I'm having an ACDF with hardware on C6-7. I'm just trying to find any firefighters who have successfully returned to the job after a fusion in their neck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck!

I did, after I broke my back. Mine was from L4 to S1. Several disc were damage as well with the vertebras broke in several places.

I was off from September 1997 to July 1998. Feel better than I ever did!

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slocityhoseman View Post
    Back in the early 90's I was caught in a chimmney collapse that crushed the the discs between the C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6. I had all 3 fused and a titanium plate screwed in. It only took me 9 months to get back on da job. The only problems I had related to this was how far I could turn my head to the left and right (minimal) and some spasm's (apparently my body didn't like the plate) but other than that I felt great and lasted another 12 years. The only advice I would give is to find a GREAT, TOP OF THE LINE Neuro-surgeon. Take care of yourself and follow the regiment to the letter and you should be good to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Nfpa 1582

Our department requires our city doctor to use NFPA 1582 when clearing us to RTW. Here is the section on spinal surgery and fusions. A Category A is a no go for RTW. Dont know where your dept. stands with adopting NFPA but thought you might want to see this......

6.13.1 Category A medical conditions shall include the following:

(2) History of multiple spinal surgeries or spinal surgery involving fusion
    of more than 2 vertebrae, diskectomy or laminectomy, or rods that are still in
    place

Forum Member

thanks brothers for the replies, emails and private messages. On the mend and feeling better each day!

Well he isn't a firefighter, but one of my dad's employees broke his back in the winter of 08 and was back to work in April 09. Granted he is an electrician, but we do mostly large farm work. Wiring bins, building grain dryers, large projects with a lot of physical activity and work. He lost some R.O.M., but feels good. Granted he isn't a FF, but it is very easy to come back from a back injury if you have a good surgeon, and good physical therapy. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

Hope you have completed surgery and are recovering.

I sustained an on-the-job neck and shoulder injury in June of 2009. I had ACDF C5-6 with titanium plate and titanium allograft on January 27, 2010. I was released to get back into the gym on March 2 and have been back to full duty on a truck company since March 22.

I understand that mine was a quick turn-a-round. I was told that the use of the titanium instead of bone between the vertebrae was considered to be an instant fusion post surgery and didn't need to wait for the bone to grow together.

My strength and endurance returned quite quickly. I don't have any difficulty with gear or an airpack, though I do get quite sore from wearing a helmet and/or mask. (It does take a bit longer to get into a bunker coat and jumpsuit overnight.)

Pain at the base of my neck and upper back accompany strange neuro symptoms in my arms. These have continued pretty regularly, though I've been told that these will be present for 6 months to a year or longer. I've also found from talking to others with the similar surgeries that everyone's recovery and symptoms are different.

Thread Information