Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default I'm new here and need some advice

I've been involved in the hiring process in a small town that employees approx. 50 full time firefighters. They hired two out of the gate and I am third on the hiring list. I got 5th out of 100 or so, so I don't feel bad, but at the same time, am still in limbo. The list is good for two years, ending in 2012. Realistically, would anyone care to guestimate my chances of being hired by this department? Any ideas or previous examples from other places? Thank you all in advance for you advice.

Forum Member

Without knowing some key factors like the number of personnel due for retirement, city growth, and how pleased current dept members are with the dept, I'd say you're probably in pretty good shape.

As far as larger departments are concerned, there's usually a fair amount of retirees on a yearly basis, which used to be replaced by new hire personnel (rookies, probies, whatever you want to call them). Although current economic woes have seen many depts "doing without," i.e., not hiring new FFs to replace retirees or those that quit, I can't imagine a small dept. (or any dept. for that matter) doing without for very long. The public often pressures local government to either maintain or increase the level of fire protection the dept provides to the city. This can result in more jobs on the dept.

A benefit to living in some small towns is that they are often candidates for growth, which can mean an increase in dept staffing levels due to an increase in either population or in the number of businesses within city limits. This is less prevalent on the east coast though, where many small towns cannot grow larger due to the density of cities/towns in the state. Some town limits on the east coast have been established for over 150 years and have not grown since their inception. If you live in the southwest or the west coast, you may live in a small town that becomes larger every year. This too can result in more jobs on the department.

Here's the bottom line...you are in a great position to get hired. I know decent sized cities that don't have 100 viable candidates after testing, and that's before backgrounds and chiefs intervies. Anyone in the top 5 on a two year list for a small department has an excellent chance at being hired. Even if you don't get picked up right away, don't get discouraged; stay up on your education, bookwork, workouts, and nutrition. Maybe work on getting a certification you didn't previously have, or enroll in some fire sience courses. DO ANYTHING THAT KEEPS YOU INVOLVED IN FIRE/RESUCE/EMS. Don't get discouraged and turn into a slob or some lazy SOB the dept regrets hiring. You need to be ready to go at a moment's notice. Best of luck to you. The goal is in sight!

From what you said, you have a better than good chance on being hired within the time period you mentioned.

Forum Member

Thank you all very much for your insight. I'm also in the process at a much larger city (2000 candidates or so) and they are hiring many more, so by percentages, my chances are better, but the small town is my hometown, and even though the money is less, it's a bit more sentimental. Thanks again for all of your advice!

Banned

Hang in there and remember anything can happen. 50 man department, Iím guessing someone will retire, go out on a disability, or get fired. I would say over 2 years, your chances are really good there will be at least one opening.

Thread Information