Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Insults during disagreements

I want to know what the proper ettiquette is in this new politically correct world.

I have always lived by the rule that says, say whatever you want to me, about me, as long as you are prepared and willing to suffer the consequences.

The corrolary to that is I will NOT ever involve, or insult, your girlfriend, finacee, wife, children, or mom and I expect the same in return. To me involving those people in a heated discussion, argument, battle or war of words is simply crossing over the line.

So fill me in. Is that obsolete now and anything goes?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I want to know what the proper ettiquette is in this new politically correct world.

I have always lived by the rule that says, say whatever you want to me, about me, as long as you are prepared and willing to suffer the consequences.

The corrolary to that is I will NOT ever involve, or insult, your girlfriend, finacee, wife, children, or mom and I expect the same in return. To me involving those people in a heated discussion, argument, battle or war of words is simply crossing over the line.

Not in my book. Our argument is between us and involves no other. I might call you an idiot (which you are not ). but that is between you and I. Some people are so shallow and frustrated they simply don't know what else to do. They are right up there with the idiots who drop the "F" word in every sentence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Shut up, jerk.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Shut up, jerk.
    I love you too George.
    Maybe it's not too late

B Shifter

Why insult someone during a disagreement, even if THEY resort to that tactic? We can go on and on about the maturity thing or the "sticks and stones may break my bones" concept, but I've found that being prepared during a disagreement is the best tactic that will often resolve the situation in your favor, regardless if you are right or wrong.

I am assuming that we are talking about MORE THAN a typical firehouse disagreement, such as, "I hope you aren't cooking that sh*t again!"; "Who left the empty toilet paper roll on the spool?"; or "Is C-shift EVER going to get here!?"

Whether you are right or wrong, if you are prepared enough to hold your own during a disagreement, you will AT LEAST come out NOT looking like the "loser". The one who resorts to dropping "F" bombs, pouting, and questioning your lineage, even if they are, in fact, right will look like the idiot every time.

Know your facts, hold your ground, and remain as cool as a fan in the face of adversity and you'll do alright.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Banned

And as I thought more about this, civil disagreements between educated and knowledgeable individuals don't include insults. For further proof look at the U.S. Congress and the office of the President.

Back In Black

The correct answer is that you are not allowed to have disagreements.

You can only have misunderstandings related to your societal differences.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

Dude, seriously, if this wasn't so damn true it would be hysterical beyond belief.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Sounds Like Someone has been to a workplace anger management class. Just kidding...
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

I have found when people degrade to name calling and bringing your family heritage into a argument, they do so because they cannot adequately debate the argument. So what other resort do they have other than name calling!!!!

One lesson I have learned in life - You cannot argue with an idiot and hope to win!

Forum Member

I've found that calling an officer-of-higher-rank (not necessarily a "superior officer") a N----r Loving Bull Dyke will get you fired. Even if used in an off-duty setting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire562 View Post
    I have found when people degrade to name calling and bringing your family heritage into a argument, they do so because they cannot adequately debate the argument. So what other resort do they have other than name calling!!!!

One lesson I have learned in life - You cannot argue with an idiot and hope to win!
    The sooner people realize that these types of people are not worth arguing with, the better off the world will be.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

if it is a true arguement or disagreement i will remain calm and keep my cool. keeping it professional and all that pc bs.

now if it is a light hearted firehouse jab session, that another story. we as a rule keep kids, parents, wives, girlfriends (must be an actual girlfriend and not a fling/ i am not going to let you forget that fat chick you had a one night stand with). that is a no go area.

pets, cars, past actions, personal quirks, politics etc. are all fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by popknot View Post
    I've found that calling an officer-of-higher-rank (not necessarily a "superior officer") a N----r Loving Bull Dyke will get you fired. Even if used in an off-duty setting.
    I take it you had not taken your meds for a few days prior to that incident?

MembersZone Subscriber

Shut up, jerk.
    Big fat dummy head!!

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Um...wow.

You must be in politics.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Um...wow.

You must be in politics.
    The ultimate insult.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Um...wow.

You must be in politics.
    Well we can clearly see the line... and you crossed it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The ultimate insult.
    Now we have come full circle Danielson.....Life is but an insult.

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire562 View Post

OR They have tired and tried to articulate their point in a clear and concise manner and the other side refuses to listen to you and or will not even concede that you have a valid point. . . . . Or the opinions which the other side states as facts are so far off base that they can, in the wrong hands, can get someone hurt or killed, that you have no other option than to come down on them like a ton of bricks and crush their blabbering before they infect the masses. They are like a cancer, in that you have to aggressively attack the cancer and remove it from the body, or it will kill you. You can not sit down and tell the cancer that it is hurting your feelings and your health and attempt to reason with it.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Big fat dummy head!!

Yeah? Your girlfriend's ugly and your mama dresses you funny!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    OR They have tired and tried to articulate their point in a clear and concise manner and the other side refuses to listen to you and or will not even concede that you have a valid point. . . . . Or the opinions which the other side states as facts are so far off base that they can, in the wrong hands, can get someone hurt or killed, that you have no other option than to come down on them like a ton of bricks and crush their blabbering before they infect the masses. They are like a cancer, in that you have to aggressively attack the cancer and remove it from the body, or it will kill you. You can not sit down and tell the cancer that it is hurting your feelings and your health and attempt to reason with it.
    I could be wrong, but I feel like you have some particular peopple in mind. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Forum Member

Yeah? Your girlfriend's ugly and your mama dresses you funny!
    Oh yeah? Your mamma's ugly and you dress like your girlfriend!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Oh yeah? Your mamma's ugly and you dress like your girlfriend!
    Oh yeah! Your mama dresses like your girlfriend!

Forum Member

It's okay... I got one hot mamma!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information