+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default WBZ-TV I-team report "backfires"

Check out the feedback on the WBZ-TV I team's report about "firefighters getting lunch"...

http://wbztv.com/iteam/boston.fire.t....html#comments
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Hahahahha. Breaking news!! FIRE TRUCK SPOTTED AT FOOD ESTABLISHMENT DURING LUNCH!!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Just another no talent news crew looking for a sensationalized story.

What truly amazes me is when we go shopping and someone at the cash register says "So what am I buying you for lunch today?" They believe that the taxpayers pay for our meals. Some are stunned and some embarassed when we tell them the truth.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 02-09-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

I would love to know if Jeffrey "Watchdog" Connolly punched out for lunch, and did it run past the typical 30 minutes most citizens enjoy.

"They (firefighters) think they are entitled to do whatever they want. They can take a city truck and do their own personal business," Connolly said.
    Would he prefer they tap the truck off the floor while they ate lunch?

We asked Fire Commissioner Roderick Fraser if it is ok for a fire truck to be used exclusively for a lunch run. "I think the practice is fine," the commissioner said. In fact, Commissioner Fraser said it better serves public safety if the men stay together, that way they are always available to take a call. "I don't want people leaving the fire house in a personal vehicle to get lunch," he said. "That leaves the fire company undermanned."

I do not have much for commissioners/chiefs, but this guy seems to have his mind right. Good job Commissioner Fraser.

MembersZone Subscriber

This guy needs to stay retired.

The news station wouldn't have paid any attention if this guy didn't contact them to do a story. Finally, a fire commissioner (fire chief) that backs up his guys, good job Commish!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Just another no talent news crew looking for a sensationalized story.

What truly amazes me is when we go shopping and someone at the cash register says "So what am I buying you for lunch today?" They believe that the taxpayers pay for our meals. Some are stunned and some embarassed when we tell them the truth.
    That person needed to get shot down, loudly, in front of the other customers.

Tell him you even pay for your own coffee when you come back from a fire at 3 AM when the temp is 0 F. Really make him feel like the jerk he is.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

This story illustrates what I have said 100 times here. Most FD's do an AWFUL job of marketting and PR. This is the perfect opportunity to invite that moron reporter, or any moron reporter for that matter, to go ride with a busy company. Not for an hour, but for the whole 24. Eat, sleep and everything that comes in between.

Of course, that would probably be the night you don't turn a wheel, but...

MembersZone Subscriber

Whenever I give a station tour and we're walking through the kitchen, I mention that we buy all of our own food each day just like you would at home. Surprising how many people don't realize this. I also make sure to mention how much food has to get thrown away because we get a run while we're cooking/eating and the food is no longer good when we get back. Then we have to make/go buy MORE food so we pay twice for a meal out of our pockets.

Back In Black

You know what burns me... and i'll say it.

The weeks and months after that sentinal event in 2001, firefighters were finally getting the respect that was deserved. Respect that wasn't asked for or sought out. Common people saw what they do and realized that it takes someone special to take risks like firefighters do to save their fellow man.

How quickly all of that is forgotten.

The investigative power of a news agency is applied to these guys stopping to get food for their meal.

Is this REALLY the newsworthy thing in that city? Is there no crime or corruption in the government? Is there nothing else that could use the bright spotlight of a journalist?

It's disgusting and pathetic.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

This is just ridiculous.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

Sloooow news day. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by yjbrody64; 02-10-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelleen Aror

Forum Member

If the reporter wants to be taken seriously as a hard-driving, no-nonsense investigator, he needs to tweak his name from Joe Shortsleeve to Joey Shirtsleeves.

Oh, and dig into real stories. That too.

Forum Member

From the same old reporters who call aerial platforms, tower ladders and such CHERRY PICKERS!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This story illustrates what I have said 100 times here. Most FD's do an AWFUL job of marketting and PR. This is the perfect opportunity to invite that moron reporter, or any moron reporter for that matter, to go ride with a busy company. Not for an hour, but for the whole 24. Eat, sleep and everything that comes in between.

Of course, that would probably be the night you don't turn a wheel, but...

While the invitation can be made, and sometimes is, it also takes initiative on the part of the media to accept such an offer. Our dept has made such offers and only the local paper sent out a reporter to run a whole day, yet the issue itself is not always seen by the general public and calls, complaints, etc are still made.

As for Fyred's comments, he just said he told the people the truth and the customer's reactions, nothing wrong there. I've been in the same situation when in line someone asks "So what are my tax dollars buying you today" and I politely say that we all pitch in our own money and the dept does not pay for meals. Yes, some are stunned and some are embarrassed, but now they know, right?

This is a topic we even have been mentioning in our pub ed talks and many parents are stunned when they hear we pay for our own meals and we explain why a rig is taken to shop etc. Yet as with most PR issues it also takes initiative and attention of a reader, viewer, etc to actually absorb the information. Despite if every local media did a ride along or a story as to why crews take a rig to shop and so forth, there will still be questions, there will still be comments like "what are we buying you today" and so forth.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    From the same old reporters who call aerial platforms, tower ladders and such CHERRY PICKERS!!!
    Don't forget OXYGEN MASKS!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    While the invitation can be made, and sometimes is, it also takes initiative on the part of the media to accept such an offer. Our dept has made such offers and only the local paper sent out a reporter to run a whole day, yet the issue itself is not always seen by the general public and calls, complaints, etc are still made.

As for Fyred's comments, he just said he told the people the truth and the customer's reactions, nothing wrong there. I've been in the same situation when in line someone asks "So what are my tax dollars buying you today" and I politely say that we all pitch in our own money and the dept does not pay for meals. Yes, some are stunned and some are embarrassed, but now they know, right?

This is a topic we even have been mentioning in our pub ed talks and many parents are stunned when they hear we pay for our own meals and we explain why a rig is taken to shop etc. Yet as with most PR issues it also takes initiative and attention of a reader, viewer, etc to actually absorb the information. Despite if every local media did a ride along or a story as to why crews take a rig to shop and so forth, there will still be questions, there will still be comments like "what are we buying you today" and so forth.
    These comments are not directed at your FD, but are meant in general.

You are correct. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. But that invitation is more likely to be taken seriously when there is a coordinated and consistent public information and public relations effort by the FD. The most succesful PIO's are those who develop a relationship with the media, understands the media's job and is accessible. A FD can't treat the press like crap all year and then expect them to write a positive piece when the FD is in trouble.

As far as the people in the store...why be polite? Do they ask the mayor where he is spending tax money on lunch? Do they ask the police how many donuts their tax money is buying them? No. Of course not.

If you look at a some of the few comments on the story that are negative to the BFD, the common theme is not only a bitch about using the apparatus to get meals, it is about eating meals on "their" time at all.

I am all for embarrassing these ignorant people loudly and completely. You could also explain that you are cdompletely in favro of taking your unit out of service for an hour so that you can eat lunch w/o pay. But, of course, you would have to remind them that this would happen three times a day and, oh yeah, it would mean that the company that is first due TO THIER HOUSE will be out of service three hours a day as well.

Of course, a positive PR campaign may eliminate the need to have to answer stupid ignorant questions like this.

Forum Member

I've never heard of firefighters NOT getting lunch/dinner/shopping in their rig.

Forum Member

Dumbest story ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    I've never heard of firefighters NOT getting lunch/dinner/shopping in their rig.
    Therein lies the problem. Do like the rest of society and take your POV to lunch. Why do you need to take a ladder truck that gets 2 MPG to the store? There is nothing wrong with leaving work to go out and get something to eat. Seems there could be a better choice of vehicle.

Forum Member

This “investigative story” could have easily been a story about another common misconception by the public. We all know that if we see an emergency vehicle run code 3 through some traffic and then shut down, that crew most likely got cancelled from the call. However, to the public they just saw us use our lights and sirens to get through red lights/traffic for our own personal convenience.

There are always going to be misconceptions with how we do things vs. how the public thinks we should do things from watching TV, movies, etc. It’s just part of the job.

The largest PR budget can't educate the public on all of our policies. For now I'd be happy if people could just remember one thing: PULL TO THE RIGHT FOR SIRENS AND LIGHTS!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Do like the rest of society and take your POV to lunch. Why do you need to take a ladder truck that gets 2 MPG to the store? There is nothing wrong with leaving work to go out and get something to eat. Seems there could be a better choice of vehicle.
    PLEASE, stop trolling. I know this won't change anything, but just stop. Please.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    PLEASE, stop trolling. I know this won't change anything, but just stop. Please.
    Dude, seriously. Taking one of the big trucks out to get something to eat is just begging for attention and a problem. There are times when it is a good idea to try to fly under the radar.

My trooper friends tell me they catch must drug runners because they are traveling at 90 mph with a headlight out. Moral, don't bring attention to yourself. While I have nothing against going out to get something to eat the public sees you on their dime doing what they can't do in their own jobs.

Just use a little common sense, that's all.

Forum Member

Dude, seriously. Taking one of the big trucks out to get something to eat is just begging for attention and a problem. There are times when it is a good idea to try to fly under the radar.

My trooper friends tell me they catch must drug runners because they are traveling at 90 mph with a headlight out. Moral, don't bring attention to yourself. While I have nothing against going out to get something to eat the public sees you on their dime doing what they can't do in their own jobs.

There is a difference between running drugs along a interstate, and being a member of a public safety agency performing an acceptable activity. You are an ignorant troll who is just here trying to stir things up. We all look forward to the day you get bored with trying to harass this board, and move on to something (I hear officer.com needs people like you. ).

Forum Member

Oh, you want to go on common sense? Sure doesn't make much sense to have one firefighter out, in his personal car, leaving the company understaffed. In the simplest form, if they get a run, or worse, a fire, he will be arriving MINUTES after the truck or engine. This one person can make a huge difference in the outcome of an entire operation.

To most, that's common sense.

PS- Shouldn't you be doing a spreadsheet or filing something?

Forum Member

We used to send guys out in their POVs to the store. New chief finally ended it. Some of the reasons why:

1. Caught an apt fire that went to 2 alarms. We run 3 man companies, and the first 3 engines all showed up with 2 because their shoppers were out. Running with 3 to a rig is bad enough, but at least you can stretch and operate a preconnected line on your own. The alarm assignment ended up 4 men short-we have 5 stations. For those who say "don't all go at once", well, as busy as we are, you had to go when you could.

2. Member was hit by a drunk driver on the way to the store. The municipality didn't want to pay his deductible or medical expenses, and the insurance tried to avoid paying because his vehicle was being used for a duty related function, "commercial use". Took over a year of litigation for him to be made whole.

3. Too many temptations for some people to be out on their own on duty. I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 02-10-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Context

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

Thread Information