Forum Member

Default Should I take the plunge?

Or should someone kick me in the rear for even considering this.....

I am reading through the NFPA Fire Service Section Newsletter and the list of committes looking for members.....it just so happens that there is one that I am interested in applying for - if accepted I would be a 'legacy' as my father sits on the committe currently.....

So, should I go ahead and apply....I know what my other half will say... .......and do I really need another 'job' added to my already busy schedule?

Forum Member

Default I love it

I'm assuming that this a volunteer dept.?I just joined my countys volunteer dept. and I love it.I have a full time job and help my father farm after work so my schedule is pretty crazy too.Plus my two kids and that doesn't leave much time.My dept. is understanding about the fact that people have jobs and families so that helps.Just try it for a while and if you can't make it work just tell the dept.I'm sure they'd rather you tell them than just stay on the dept. and not do anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer18 View Post
    I'm assuming that this a volunteer dept.?I just joined my countys volunteer dept. and I love it.I have a full time job and help my father farm after work so my schedule is pretty crazy too.Plus my two kids and that doesn't leave much time.My dept. is understanding about the fact that people have jobs and families so that helps.Just try it for a while and if you can't make it work just tell the dept.I'm sure they'd rather you tell them than just stay on the dept. and not do anything.
    LOL...not quite....this is the National Fire Protection Association - an international organization.....

I'm thinking about applying for a Technical Committee within the organization.....my father is a principal on this committee although he isn't oo active any more.....

btw v18 - I've been in the fire service for oh, 20+ years.....moved onward/upward from a vol FD to full time government work in the field.....

Forum Member

My opinion, not that it's worth much As much as I can, I try not to consider my schedule when looking at things that I am interested in. I already know I'm busy. If it is a position where you think you could make a difference and you are interested enough to ask all of us, then you've already made a decision and you're just arguing with yourself over it Go forth, apply your knowings and make us all proud! If it proves to be too much on the schedule, you can always bow out. At least you'll know you tried, and you can never regret not doing it. Good Luck!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default Oooops

Sorry about having a brain lapse on you.Just read your post a little better and saw the part about commitees.I just joined my countys volunteer dept. and am new to these forums so I guess you call this a rookie mistake.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Or should someone kick me in the rear for even considering this.....

I am reading through the NFPA Fire Service Section Newsletter and the list of committes looking for members.....it just so happens that there is one that I am interested in applying for - if accepted I would be a 'legacy' as my father sits on the committe currently.....

So, should I go ahead and apply....I know what my other half will say... .......and do I really need another 'job' added to my already busy schedule?

`
    It depends on what it entails. You may after you get involved really want that kick. If so let me know!

Hey I have been on committees with the NFPA before, years back. It takes up a lot of your time and traveling can also be a problems such as getting away from your job on the fd.

It can be fun, but it can be another headache that is hard to shake.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Exclamation

By all means, take it, take it!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    As much as I can, I try not to consider my schedule when looking at things that I am interested in. I already know I'm busy.
    That is some of the best advice I have ever read. Thanks.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Thread Information