Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Florida EMT/Firefighter relocating to NJ

Hey Guys,

I'm writing here so maybe you guys can help me a little bit, I've left numerous messages in the state of NJ and received no response.

Basically I was born in Newark, NJ but moved down to Florida 10 years ago. Since then I have acquired all my certification in the state of Florida but because of family issues I am having to move back to NJ and would like to know if my Certs carry over.

I found out that EMT does but am having a hard time with fire.

I have the following in Florida

Structural Firefighter I/II
    Wildland Firefighter
    Hazmat operator
    Emergency Medical Technician (FL and NREMT)
    Emergency Vehicle Operator
    Flashover Awareness
    National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications
    Nims CEU's

I don't want to have to change careers but I do have to relocate. I am starting to consider surrounding states such as Pennsylvania and if dreams come true FDNY lol...

Thank you very much for your time!

MembersZone Subscriber

Get your FF1&FF2 as well as your Hazmat certs Proboarded. Proboard is the national certifying authority for fire certs and it is recognized in most states. It only costs $25.

Forum Member

I have FF1 and FF2 pro boarded, I didn't know they could do that with the Hazmat as well... I'll have to look in to that

Forum Member

I've heard NJ's hiring process is screwy and if you aren't a resident of the city your applying for your way behind the 8 ball. PA is also tough. I lived in PA all my life and have since relocated to Virginia since getting hired down here. I tested for a 3 different major cities in PA with around 900 applicants for each test and since all that only one of the cities is hired and that was two people.

Others may say different... but guys from PA go to DC/MD/VA for fire jobs if they really want to get the badge.

NJ is not proboard. You will have to challenge the NJ FF1 and FF2 to get those certs. And NJ requires NJ Emt, not National Reg. Again, you can challenge the test.

Oh, and your chances of getting hired onto a paid department in NJ..........extremely low.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    NJ is not proboard. You will have to challenge the NJ FF1 and FF2 to get those certs. And NJ requires NJ Emt, not National Reg. Again, you can challenge the test.

Oh, and your chances of getting hired onto a paid department in NJ..........extremely low.
    Not to deter you from having your dream job in Jersey. I was born and raised, volleyed there for 4 years and did the NJDOP for two lists. Thousands upon thousands of people trying to get hired for a couple of spots. On top of that, firefighters getting furlowed and on the brink of getting layed off or have been layed off. Mt. Laurel is on the brink of losing 13 FF's. If you have your heart set out for Jersey, you're going to be there doing 9-5 job for a while before you get into a department. As for EMT, it helps with being on scene but it will not help you to get hired. NJ has a hospital based EMS system, and ambulances are not apart of the fire dept. in the majority of the state.

After the two times of wasted money trying to gain residency for JC and New brunswick, I tried out of state for Northern VA departments and got in immediately.

One question. WHY would you leave Florida to go to Jersey??

Come to Maryland or Virginia.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information