Forum Member

Post FireFighter 1 question

High I'm Eric. I completed the N.J. firefighter 1 course at MCFA last summer. My question is do other states accept the N.J. fire 1 certification? If so which ones? I have heard many different things. My department president said that N.J. doesn't have reciprocating laws with other states (they donít except other states fire 1 certifications) but other states accept our fire 1 certifications. It seems the more people I ask the more different answers I get. PLEASE if anyone knows of another state that accepts the New Jersey firefighter 1 certification let me know what state it is. If you can give me a list of states it would be greatly helpful. Thank you.

Sincerely: Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Much of your question is going to deal with what certifying organization NJ uses. If it's IFSAC, you may very well be able to to transfer it to another IFSAC state. The same with Pro-Board. Whether an IFSAC state will accept Pro-Board or vice versa, I don't know. That may depend on the state.

Forum Member

NYS accepts Pro Board - not sure about a 'simple' NJ certification....I do know that we have had people submit a course outline/content for review for reciprocation.....if it matches enough with NYS it usually is accepted as an equivalancy.

Forum Member

thank you for that. I am having trouble finding out weather N.J. is an IFSAC state or proboard state. Is there a web site or any perticular person in the fire service in N.J. who could tell me?

Forum Member

Ok - from what I have been told, NJ training is not standardized - it depends on where you took it. If you wanted to come to NY, for example, this is what I was given-

Certificate or Certification?? They are different. In NJ case, the CERTIFICATE depends on where the person completed the training. NJ does a lot of their training regionally or by county. In some cases in the state, it is a grouping of counties that get together to develop a "Region". There really is no consistency through the state. FF1 in one county may use a totally different curriculum than another county, and they do not necessarily specify if is is NFPA 1001 compliant. We do have a few NJ FF1 curriculums that have been approved to meet or exceed NYS FF1, but I can't remember which ones. If someone submits a copy of a completion certificate, I can look to see if that county or region is on our list. If it is not, they need to provide a course curriculum or syllabus.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Eric 911 View Post
    thank you for that. I am having trouble finding out weather N.J. is an IFSAC state or proboard state. Is there a web site or any perticular person in the fire service in N.J. who could tell me?
    NJ is neither. However, it is a state by state issue.

MCFA is pretty good and NJ does have a standard curriculum, just not proboard or IFSAC.

I believe you can go to Bucks County Community College, PA and challenge the test.

http://www.theproboard.org/FAQ.htm

Fire Fighter I Challenge - NFPA 1001 FSC 479
    8 Hours Lecture-0.0hrs / Lab-8.0hrs Prerequisites: **Contact your local test site or the PSFA**
    DOH Con-Ed Units 0.0-M/T : 0.0-Other Gear: TOG, SCBA
    Through written and practical examinations the Firefighter 1 candidate will successfully complete and pass both exams in order to receive certification in accordance with NFPA 1001 Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications, to Fire Fighter 1. (National Certification; IFSAC or ProBoard)
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Not sure if you can challenge the exam here:

http://www.theproboard.org/Agencies/fortmonmouth.htm

Forum Member

I took it at the middlesex county fire accademy. I THINK but am not sure its a certificate, thats what I've been told anyway. Middlesex is in central jersey. While i was in the accademy I took and received certificates for: FEMA IS-00700.a NIMS, HAZMAT opperations 06009, CBRNE opperations 06088, HAZMAT AWARENESS 06007, CPR &AID certificate. all these are labeled certificate, not certification. If there is somthing I can send to you please ask me. I checked the proboard data base and could not find myself listed.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Eric 911 View Post
    I took it at the middlesex county fire accademy. I THINK but am not sure its a certificate, thats what I've been told anyway. Middlesex is in central jersey. While i was in the accademy I took and received certificates for: FEMA IS-00700.a NIMS, HAZMAT opperations 06009, CBRNE opperations 06088, HAZMAT AWARENESS 06007, CPR &AID certificate. all these are labeled certificate, not certification. If there is somthing I can send to you please ask me. I checked the proboard data base and could not find myself listed.
    It is not proboard or ifsac. 1000% sure.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Anyone have info on PAs FF1 course and NY resiprocity? I haven't started digging into it yet but there are a few Amish who have the PA course and would like to join.
    I'm surprised thet there isn't a nice website out there already that shows a chart of states and what they require.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doorbreaker View Post
    Anyone have info on PAs FF1 course and NY resiprocity? I haven't started digging into it yet but there are a few Amish who have the PA course and would like to join.
    I'm surprised thet there isn't a nice website out there already that shows a chart of states and what they require.
    Send me a PM and I'll get you that info hopefully today.

Forum Member

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Forum Member

Did mine 15 years ago

To old???

Forum Member

We have accepted NJ certificates here in Madison County NY. All were from the Waldwick NJ area. My department will send a copy to the county coordinator. He will contact the issuing party and the instructors. If he finds that the training is close to what we do then it will be accepted. We have accepted 2 guys from NJ and a department in Chenango County has 3 members from NJ were their certs. have been accepted. I can not speak for what other counties do in NY.

Thread Information