Forum Member

Default USMC "Breacher": Nice.

I like what the Afghan soldier says about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100211/...n_the_breacher

Watch out, Taliban turd tappers!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Those things are awesome! I've been watching those since the concept was proposed, as I used to be a combat engineer. There's video out there of them launching the line charges and blowing lanes through to a village, can't remember where I saw it.

Forum Member

Reminds me of these old WWII tanks with the flailing chain used for clearing mine fields. I wonder if every time they hit one they had to change their underwear.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

We run out of jarheads with mine probes and bayonets?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    We run out of jarheads with mine probes and bayonets?
    Are you volunteering?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBy0y2jAHpI
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Its about time they arrived there.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hey Len, you been to CFB Borden and Worthington Tank Park? I'm sure that same vehicle is sitting on the pad here.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Those things are awesome! I've been watching those since the concept was proposed, as I used to be a combat engineer. There's video out there of them launching the line charges and blowing lanes through to a village, can't remember where I saw it.
    First I ever saw of it was on tv during Desert Storm.
    FYI,I was working for a harbor tug outfit in Memphis at that time(Navy didn't want me back)and during the build up,we'd shove LASH Barges(Lighter Aboard SHip) to a loading facility and they were putting all kinds of military vehicles into those yellow POS.Some of the "tanks" looked a little funny with some chains on a roller welded to the front so I asked the dock foreman what they were and he said they were going to try them out on mine clearance.
    Guess the idea works.If they have to modernize an idea,it's a good one.
    Also,did you know that the material to make the hedgerow plows mounted on the Shermans to help them get through the bocage country and its thick rows of hedges able to stop armor came from the tank traps the Germans had put on the beaches to stop the invasion from bringing in armor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Also,did you know that the material to make the hedgerow plows mounted on the Shermans to help them get through the bocage country and its thick rows of hedges able to stop armor came from the tank traps the Germans had put on the beaches to stop the invasion from bringing in armor?
    Yep, the rhino tank, another idea from a Sgt that saved the day.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would gues that seeing one or two of these things approaching your village would focus the terrs attention alright.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I would gues that seeing one or two of these things approaching your village would focus the terrs attention alright.
    Sorta looks like it would be some kind of Mike Tyson "I wanna eat your children" thing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hey Len, you been to CFB Borden and Worthington Tank Park? I'm sure that same vehicle is sitting on the pad here.
    No...But I've been to the Aberdeen Ordinance Museum in Maryland.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

From The Sunday Times
    February 14, 2010
    Taliban leaders flee as marines hit stronghold
    Marie Colvin in Camp Leatherneck, Helmand

American marines landed by helicopter in a pre-dawn assault on the Taliban stronghold of Marjah, seizing two central shopping bazaars and firing rockets at Taliban fighters who attacked from mud-walled compounds.
    As the marines secured their first objective, a jumble of buildings at the centre of the farming town, thousands of soldiers moved in on foot.
    Harrier jets called in by the marines fired heavy-calibre machineguns at the Taliban. Fighting continued for hours, according to an embedded correspondent. Cobra gunships unleashed Hellfire missiles into bunkers and tunnels.
    By nightfall, marines appeared to be in control of the centre of Marjah, home to about 75,000 people. “The Americans are walking by on the street outside my house,” a bazaar resident said. “They’re carrying large bags and guns but they’re not fighting any more.” Asked what he thought of their presence, he said: “I have hope for the future.”

The offensive was aimed at overwhelming the insurgency’s last haven in Helmand province and restoring government control.
    Aircraft bombed compounds in southern districts of the town. US marines and Afghan troops swarmed in, searching for foreign fighters after intelligence reports said they had holed up there.
    In the north of the city, helicopters landed several hundred marines in narrow alleys amid farm compounds.
    At least 20 insurgents were reported killed and 11 were captured. The invading troops confiscated caches of Kalashnikov automatic rifles, heavy machineguns and grenades.
    The greatest threat came from the extensive network of mines and booby traps. Assault troops ran into a huge number of improvised explosive devices — homemade bombs — as they tried to cross a canal into the town’s northern entrance. Explosions ripped through the air as marines safely detonated bombs.
    Marines used portable aluminium bridges to span the irrigation channels. The bridge over the main canal into Marjah from the north was elaborately rigged with explosives so they unfolded larger bridges from heavy-tracked vehicles to allow armoured troop carriers to cross.
    Marine engineers, driving special mine-clearing vehicles called breachers, ploughed a path through fields on the town’s outskirts. To clear a minefield, they launched rockets and deployed cables of plastic explosives designed to ignite roadside bombs.
    Civilians said the Afghan troops were searching homes, a concession to conservative tribal sensitivities. Searches by foreign troops, particularly of homes with women, have infuriated traditional Pashtun residents.
    “The troops are going house to house in my street,” said Haji Abdul Mukadasa, a 48-year-old father of 13. He said the Afghan troops asked that all the women be put in one room, then searched the house while the “foreigners” waited outside.
    He said he knew a young man who had been fighting with the Taliban but went home and took off his black turban when the offensive began. “They searched his house, and he said, ‘No, I am not Taliban, this is my wife, this is my father’.” Residents said most senior Taliban had fled the city.
    Brigadier-General Larry Nicholson, commander of the marines in southern Afghanistan, was focused on avoiding civilian casualties while winning control of the town. He was well aware that to succeed he would have to secure it quickly and remain until Afghan forces and a credible local government could take over.
    Even Nicholson’s lowest-ranking commanders were carrying bags of cash to use at their discretion to pay for battle damage to houses or mosques or to fund a “quick impact projects” that immediately improve the lives of local people.
    “I want to be able to get unemployed young men back to work, give them an alternative to the Taliban and a reason to get up in the morning,” Nicholson said.
    Change We Can Believe In.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Both of those pictures are definitely from Worthington Tank Park at CFB Borden.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 02-14-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Raughammer1 View Post
    From The Sunday Times
    February 14, 2010
    Taliban leaders flee as marines hit stronghold
    Marie Colvin in Camp Leatherneck, Helmand

American marines landed by helicopter in a pre-dawn assault on the Taliban stronghold of Marjah, seizing two central shopping bazaars and firing rockets at Taliban fighters who attacked from mud-walled compounds.
    As the marines secured their first objective, a jumble of buildings at the centre of the farming town, thousands of soldiers moved in on foot.
    Harrier jets called in by the marines fired heavy-calibre machineguns at the Taliban. Fighting continued for hours, according to an embedded correspondent. Cobra gunships unleashed Hellfire missiles into bunkers and tunnels.
    By nightfall, marines appeared to be in control of the centre of Marjah, home to about 75,000 people. “The Americans are walking by on the street outside my house,” a bazaar resident said. “They’re carrying large bags and guns but they’re not fighting any more.” Asked what he thought of their presence, he said: “I have hope for the future.”

The offensive was aimed at overwhelming the insurgency’s last haven in Helmand province and restoring government control.
    Aircraft bombed compounds in southern districts of the town. US marines and Afghan troops swarmed in, searching for foreign fighters after intelligence reports said they had holed up there.
    In the north of the city, helicopters landed several hundred marines in narrow alleys amid farm compounds.
    At least 20 insurgents were reported killed and 11 were captured. The invading troops confiscated caches of Kalashnikov automatic rifles, heavy machineguns and grenades.
    The greatest threat came from the extensive network of mines and booby traps. Assault troops ran into a huge number of improvised explosive devices — homemade bombs — as they tried to cross a canal into the town’s northern entrance. Explosions ripped through the air as marines safely detonated bombs.
    Marines used portable aluminium bridges to span the irrigation channels. The bridge over the main canal into Marjah from the north was elaborately rigged with explosives so they unfolded larger bridges from heavy-tracked vehicles to allow armoured troop carriers to cross.
    Marine engineers, driving special mine-clearing vehicles called breachers, ploughed a path through fields on the town’s outskirts. To clear a minefield, they launched rockets and deployed cables of plastic explosives designed to ignite roadside bombs.
    Civilians said the Afghan troops were searching homes, a concession to conservative tribal sensitivities. Searches by foreign troops, particularly of homes with women, have infuriated traditional Pashtun residents.
    “The troops are going house to house in my street,” said Haji Abdul Mukadasa, a 48-year-old father of 13. He said the Afghan troops asked that all the women be put in one room, then searched the house while the “foreigners” waited outside.
    He said he knew a young man who had been fighting with the Taliban but went home and took off his black turban when the offensive began. “They searched his house, and he said, ‘No, I am not Taliban, this is my wife, this is my father’.” Residents said most senior Taliban had fled the city.
    Brigadier-General Larry Nicholson, commander of the marines in southern Afghanistan, was focused on avoiding civilian casualties while winning control of the town. He was well aware that to succeed he would have to secure it quickly and remain until Afghan forces and a credible local government could take over.
    Even Nicholson’s lowest-ranking commanders were carrying bags of cash to use at their discretion to pay for battle damage to houses or mosques or to fund a “quick impact projects” that immediately improve the lives of local people.
    “I want to be able to get unemployed young men back to work, give them an alternative to the Taliban and a reason to get up in the morning,” Nicholson said.
    I don't think theres any doubt that this surge, along with many others will suceed in clearing the Taliban out. Then the work begins. Will NATO stay the distance in this town to ensure that they allow the locals, if they want to, establish a strong local govt to replace and keep the Taliban out? 40 years ago we were starting to learn the difficulties in regular forces battling irregular forces on their own ground. Lessons still being learned today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Yep, the rhino tank, another idea from a Sgt that saved the day.
    Well,what else do sergeants and Chiefs have to do but to protect officers from themselves while training kids right out of high school how to be sailors,Marines,soldiers and airmen,all while keeping the corporate history of their Service alive?

Thread Information