Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Capt. Phil Harris Dead at 53

ANCHORAGE (AP) — Phil Harris, the fishing boat captain whose adventures off the Alaska coast were captured on the television show Deadliest Catch, has died, the Discovery Channel said Tuesday night. He was 53.
    Harris suffered what his family described as a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the fishing vessel he captained, Cornelia Marie, was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The fisherman was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

The reality show, which has filmed five seasons, has been one of the Discovery Channel's most popular and depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad — Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end," sons Josh and Jake Harris said in a statement released by the network. "For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down."

In a statement, Discovery Channel senior vice president Elizabeth Hillman says, "Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him."

"We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart," she said.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press, she said no additional information was immediately available Tuesday night.

Harris had seemed to be improving, and in a posting last Saturday on the ship's website, he was described as "talking to friends and family today; showing his greatest progress" since the stroke.

His sons wrote in a Feb. 3 posting that "No one ever said Captain Phil Harris wasn't tough. Today, dad showed some good signs of improvement, squeezing our hands and even summoning his trademark Captain's bluntness ... We are encouraged but still very cautious."

According to the ship's website, Harris started working on fishing boats at age 7 and started work 10 years later on a crab boat. When Harris turned 21, he ran a fishing vessel out of Seattle, making him one of the youngest to captain a vessel in the Bering Sea.

When Harris suffered the stroke, the family said a friend, Derek Ray, had flown to St. Paul to take over the role of relief skipper for the rest of the opilio crab season.

Harris' fishing vessel was based in Seattle.

Just like COPS is on in every fire station I've ever been to at 8pm on Saturdays, Deadliest Catch is one of those shows that all the guys love to watch.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

When I was down with a broken tibia plateau,I'd watch "Deadliest Catch" as often as it was on the air.People have asked me why I enjoy it so and the only answer I have is because I've worked for years for and with towboat captains who would snarl at you just like those fishing boat guys.
    Phil Harris was a good part of the show.He might have been rough on some guys(his sons) but he WAS responsible for millions of dollars of equipment plus the irreplacable lives that went out to sea with him.That would hang heavy over anyone's head.

It was probably the saddest I felt about any "celebrity" dying in a long time.

I know he was overweight and smoked like a chimney, probably had hihg blood pressure and an ulcer - bringing about his stroke......but he was an everyman. He busted his *** to get to be owner of a boat with immense responsibilities and seemed to be a very grounded guy and never forgot how he pulled himself up and put his pants on every day.

He was my favorite captain on the show too. Watching this year's season in a couple months will be sad to see.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I'll chime in too..

I enjoy the show and particularly liked watching the father/son relationship he shared with his boys.

You could see he wasn't in the best of health.. and that smoking. What a shame.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You could see he wasn't in the best of health.. and that smoking. What a shame.
    It was amazing that when he was in the hospital for coughing up blood he still had to go outside the hospital, in his gown, to have a cigarette.

Some people just don't get the message.

I'll miss him too. It's a great show.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    It was amazing that when he was in the hospital for coughing up blood he still had to go outside the hospital, in his gown, to have a cigarette.

I take care of drug addicts who can shake heroin (probably one of the hardest drugs to kick) but cannot kick the cigarettes.

There are physiological and structural changes that occur within the brain that cause the addicition and make it to the point that it is so addictive and so difficult to quit.

This is why last week we had a woman light her face on fire shile she lit her cigarette while wearing a nasal canula.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post

Some folks don't even realize that they are lighting one up,they are so habituated to smoking.I trained another towboat operator to be a tankerman back in 95 and he wasn't aware of when he lit up on a fuel barge either.
    They'll move on with the boat and show,though.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Some folks don't even realize that they are lighting one up,they are so habituated to smoking.I trained another towboat operator to be a tankerman back in 95 and he wasn't aware of when he lit up on a fuel barge either.
    I had a kid light up in the pits at Pocono during the national anthem right next a fuel can. Said he didn't know what they were.

I know how hard it is to quit, did so 31 years ago after smoking for about 10 years. I had great motivation as my wife was pregnant with our son and wanted me to quit for the baby. That broke my psychological need, the rest was easy after that.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Thread Information