Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Columbia, SC Triple Mayday

Just got a call from a freind asking me about a triple mayday going on in Columbia right now. So far the story is three guys disoriented in a warehouse type structure. Two were removed but the third is still unaccounted for. The scanner for CFD is offline so no info there.

If anyone has anything please let me know. I will also update with anything I find out.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Been checking the news - haven't seen anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Just got a call from a freind asking me about a triple mayday going on in Columbia right now. So far the story is three guys disoriented in a warehouse type structure. Two were removed but the third is still unaccounted for. The scanner for CFD is offline so no info there.

If anyone has anything please let me know. I will also update with anything I find out.

Don't see anything on two TV stations in that city....
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I live in that area and have yet to hear anything. If I do, I'll post it.

The freind in Columbia says that everything turned out ok. Good to hear for everyone invloved.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Good, I still haven't seen anything on the news. Columbia just lost their fire chief to "retirement" and the guy that generally did their PR stuff has moved up into his spot which may be why I haven't heard anything. I know that whole department has been going through quite a bit lately.

I will be up that way teaching HazMat Tech this week, I will see if I can gather any more info.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Could they have possibly been in a RIT training session?

Someone out in "scannerland" (which is how most media outlets get their info from and dispatch reporters to) may have missed the fact that it could have been a training session...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I will be up that way teaching HazMat Tech this week, I will see if I can gather any more info.
    Do you teach at the SC Fire academy?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Could they have possibly been in a RIT training session?

Someone out in "scannerland" (which is how most media outlets get their info from and dispatch reporters to) may have missed the fact that it could have been a training session...
    Very good point, could be.

Quote Originally Posted by LFDAO10 View Post
    Do you teach at the SC Fire academy?
    No sir, I teach with a private company that does classes for major industrial clients.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

LOL! Okay, I'm sorry but I can't help but smile on this. (I know nothing to laugh about if it were an actual emergency) but let me try to explain and clear this whole thing up.

First off, I joined this site specifically for replying to this post. I am a firefighter recruit with the city of Columbia. Our recruit class is 17 weeks long and we are on our last week now. Our last two classes are Rescuing the Rescuer and Rapid Intervention. For our kick off to these two classes, we got permission to do a mayday scenario in an abandoned warehouse across the street from our training grounds off of bluff road (behind station 3).

What I believe your friend heard is our scenario fire ground communications. We got permission from the department to use a designated channel for our situation. Dispatch knew that there was a training situation taking place on that channel. For the scenario, they led us into an abandoned warehouse (alone) with about 3 minutes of air in our cylinder. Our masks were blacked out and we only had a radio and a tool with us. they led us in circles and all over the place to confuse us as to where we were and they told us that we lost our teammates and the hose we were on, we only have the air in our cylinder to make it out.

This is the part where we had to call a mayday and try to escape. There was no RIT for this drill. Out of my class of 16 only 2 made it out alive. I'll never forget taking that last breath as the mask sucked to my face and having to unhook. (me dying) At that time a Captain came up to each one of us and told told us that we died in the line of duty. That our engine would pull back into the station and see our lonely boot still sitting in the bay. That our loved ones would be contacted and funeral arrangements would be made. Then he preceded to narrate a play by play of our funeral. It was a very sobering experience.

After we all had gone through the drill, we lined up in formation and put our flag at half staff, then we heard an "announcement" from "dispatch" (our training captain) and he proceeded to say that the department had suffered 14 LODD's and read out each one of our names. He ended the message with "our thoughts and prayers go out to their family and we need volunteers to help out with the funeral arrangements". The whole thing really was a surreal experience that I'll never forget as long as I live.

As for the funny moment, I was fixing to go into the warehouse and I kept hearing the maydays going out. I leaned over and told another recruit, "I hope nobody's listening to the scanner and thinks this is real -like someone from the news"...

I hope this clears some things up for everyone. I'm not making light of the whole scenario. Like I said earlier, it was a very sobering experience that I am glad I got the opportunity to be in. I'm Sorry this is so long.

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject. Nice to know it was just training.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by vryez2xlr8 View Post
    LOL! Okay, I'm sorry but I can't help but smile on this. (I know nothing to laugh about if it were an actual emergency) but let me try to explain and clear this whole thing up.

First off, I joined this site specifically for replying to this post. I am a firefighter recruit with the city of Columbia. Our recruit class is 17 weeks long and we are on our last week now. Our last two classes are Rescuing the Rescuer and Rapid Intervention. For our kick off to these two classes, we got permission to do a mayday scenario in an abandoned warehouse across the street from our training grounds off of bluff road (behind station 3).

What I believe your friend heard is our scenario fire ground communications. We got permission from the department to use a designated channel for our situation. Dispatch knew that there was a training situation taking place on that channel. For the scenario, they led us into an abandoned warehouse (alone) with about 3 minutes of air in our cylinder. Our masks were blacked out and we only had a radio and a tool with us. they led us in circles and all over the place to confuse us as to where we were and they told us that we lost our teammates and the hose we were on, we only have the air in our cylinder to make it out.

This is the part where we had to call a mayday and try to escape. There was no RIT for this drill. Out of my class of 16 only 2 made it out alive. I'll never forget taking that last breath as the mask sucked to my face and having to unhook. (me dying) At that time a Captain came up to each one of us and told told us that we died in the line of duty. That our engine would pull back into the station and see our lonely boot still sitting in the bay. That our loved ones would be contacted and funeral arrangements would be made. Then he preceded to narrate a play by play of our funeral. It was a very sobering experience.

After we all had gone through the drill, we lined up in formation and put our flag at half staff, then we heard an "announcement" from "dispatch" (our training captain) and he proceeded to say that the department had suffered 14 LODD's and read out each one of our names. He ended the message with "our thoughts and prayers go out to their family and we need volunteers to help out with the funeral arrangements". The whole thing really was a surreal experience that I'll never forget as long as I live.

As for the funny moment, I was fixing to go into the warehouse and I kept hearing the maydays going out. I leaned over and told another recruit, "I hope nobody's listening to the scanner and thinks this is real -like someone from the news"...

I hope this clears some things up for everyone. I'm not making light of the whole scenario. Like I said earlier, it was a very sobering experience that I am glad I got the opportunity to be in. I'm Sorry this is so long.

The FCC doesn't take fake messages over any radio channel lightly, as a training thing and can take action against the licensee holder and assess fines for you all's "games". Pretending is one thing in a scenario but broadcasting false information over a public service radio system is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    The FCC doesn't take fake messages over any radio channel lightly, as a training thing and can take action against the licensee holder and assess fines for you all's "games". Pretending is one thing in a scenario but broadcasting false information over a public service radio system is another.
    So the only time you talk on the radio if for an incident? If you say so...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Banned

So we shouldn't be doing these mass casualty simulations and using the radio????

I didn't say that a department cannot use a radio channel to broadcast a false report such as members killed, or whatever you guys want to call it. You just have to be careful as to what it said on that channel.

Radio, Television, Newspapers reports all have radios that receive the local fire and police radio broadcast. A department broadcasts a mayday and also with xx number of member injured and or killed, they pick it up and do a "Breaking News" broadcast over the TV and radio saying that the "XZY Fire Department is at a fire and they are reporting XX number of serious injuries and or deaths at the scene". Stay turn for additional information!

Training is one thing and having simulations are also good. But you just cannot broadcast false stuff on the air waves.

I would be very careful what is transmitted over any radio channels, be it training or actual.

We use a non repeated, TAC, Talk Around Channel, when we conducted such training exercises. It is short range and unless the news folks are sitting within a mile of the training exercise they don't get nothing.

lighten up francis
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    lighten up francis
    You lighten up Pal.

You lighten up Pal.
    Look, NYC, an internet tough guy.

Lighten up, Frances.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Internationally, if you broadcast radio reports during a drill, you must preface it by saying " This is a drill, this is drill, this is a drill." We had a man overboard drill in the Persian Gulf about 1999. We were speaking back and forth to our rescue vessel when the US Navy interrupted and asked us if we required assistance as we were not making it clear it was a drill.

Thread Information