MembersZone Subscriber

Default FL Firefighter interested in FDNY

Hi, Im a firefighter in central Florida and I have a few questions regarding the FDNY. If anyone can help please respond. I am extremely interested in applying, however, Im not from New York, so I need a few answers before I can make a true decision in the odd case that I do get called back.

Can you work for the fire department full-time and for EMS part-time? How exactly does the schedule work? Is living in the area manageable at all with FD pay? What is average rent for a decent 1-bedroom apartment? How many working fires average per week per station? Are there areas that get very little fire (1-2 a year workers)? How common are high angle rescues? etc...

I know these can seem very particular, but please understand that it is a huge decision that could possibly affect me for the next 20+ years of my life. One last thing: If I go visit a station, which one should I go to to get some good advice on this (a very average station call volume wise)? Thank You I appreciate all feedback.

Forum Member

You didnt happen to attend CFCC in 2004-05 did you?

I have some answers for you- we'll get to that- but youre opening a can of worms big enough to swim laps in.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

MembersZone Subscriber

no Im actually from Miami, moved up for the job

Forum Member

So goes the 6 degrees of separation...

In order you asked them:

1. No. You can work for one or the other only, and its full time only. Thats assuming your talking about working for the city, and not any private entity.
    2. "The area" is debatable. Can you live (comfortably) on an entry level salary if you work in the South Bronx? Yeah. But you wont want to. And if your area is Soho, then the answer would be no. There is a comfortable medium in there somewhere though. Its a big city, and you can always take on roommates (and/or a second job) to ease the burden.
    3. Look at craigslist and see for yourself.
    4. Run volume and fire duty runs the gamut. Like I said before, its a big city.
    5. Yes.
    6. Uncommon enough to make the news when they do. But like anything else, if it can happen, its going to happen here.
    7. Any house but 10/10. Not that they arent great guys- they are, in fact, but theyve been getting bombarded with visitors 24/7 since 9/11. If youre not familiar with the city though, just pick one in Manhattan and bring a few bucks for a t-shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank You very much for the information, I appreciate every bit of it.

Forum Member

Good luck bro I thought abot doing the it a few years ago and didn't. Now iam 36 way past the max age with a family and regret it. Hope whatever you choose it works out well for you. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiooo33 View Post
    Hi, Im a firefighter in central Florida and I have a few questions regarding the FDNY. If anyone can help please respond. I am extremely interested in applying, however, Im not from New York, so I need a few answers before I can make a true decision in the odd case that I do get called back.

Can you work for the fire department full-time and for EMS part-time? How exactly does the schedule work? Is living in the area manageable at all with FD pay? What is average rent for a decent 1-bedroom apartment? How many working fires average per week per station? Are there areas that get very little fire (1-2 a year workers)? How common are high angle rescues? etc...

I know these can seem very particular, but please understand that it is a huge decision that could possibly affect me for the next 20+ years of my life. One last thing: If I go visit a station, which one should I go to to get some good advice on this (a very average station call volume wise)? Thank You I appreciate all feedback.

Stay where you are or apply for a department in whcih you probably would get hired.

What you have in certifications from FL do not mean nothing in the FDNY!!!

A very slim chance on being a Brother in the FDNY.

More than 10,000 folks are trying to get on the interview and hiring list. They have a age cut off.

Try departments ilke DCFD, Philly are any in or around the DC area. Stay away from Baltimore they have a mess there and will probably shut down a lot of companies.

BTW the FDNY will be reducing members in a bunch of companies.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate your opinion and I mean no disrespect at all when I say this, but, I really think you have the wrong idea about applying places. If I apply, yes I will have a 1 in 10,000 chance, but if I dont, I have 0 chance. I have an application in to Miami Dade where about 9,000 people applied, once again, 1 in 9,000 (or about 30 in 9,000 if you want to get technical). But if I dont apply I will never get hired there. For anyone reading this, anything is possible, dont ever sell yourself short. The economy is bad all over, but if you dont give it a shot, you wont get it. I hope this doesnt offend you by any means, I dont mean to belittle your opinion at all, I appreciate your feedback, but I feel I should express my opinion for anyone who happens to stumble along the forum.

Forum Member

I dunno where you guys got 10000 people from but almost 30,000 hopefuls took the last exam. I'm sure they'll be even more next time, whenever that may be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I'm not with FDNY, but I was born and raised in Ridgewood, Queens. I worked for five years as both an EMT and a medic for an area hospital based NYC 911/IFT EMS agency. FDNY didn't happen, and I wasn't willing to backdoor my way in via FDNY EMS so now I'm a firemedic with the Fairfax County FRD in northern VA.

Like others said, when you're employed by FDNY you're either EMS or suppression exclusively. There's EMS work available with the hospitals and the privates. It's tough to get into a hospital, though even for medics. And you'll need it to survive, as the probie FF salary is like 30 something grand. You don't really make a liveable wage until you get your five years. I hope you're single. As a single person, you can maybe survive on the bare essentials on 400/wk take home, maybe even 500 just to pay the bills. Forget about buying a house, unless you do like the foreigners and go in to a two family with maybe 3-4 working couples in the same house complete with the grandparents living in and providing child care. How would you like to pay 10 grand or more in property taxes out on the Island?

Are you a medic? If so, I would encourage you to apply for depts in the MD/DC/NOVA region in the meantime, even if you fit FDNY's current "hiring policies". There have been a few over here that worked a few years and then got the call from FDNY. We were allowing up to one year LOA so they could go back if they don't get through the academy.

When you relocate, I recommend Ridgewood, Middle Village, Glendale, or Maspeth. They're all centrally located, the crime and rents aren't too bad, and there's plenty of public transit. And Rosa's Pizza.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiooo33 View Post
    I appreciate your opinion and I mean no disrespect at all when I say this, but, I really think you have the wrong idea about applying places. If I apply, yes I will have a 1 in 10,000 chance, but if I dont, I have 0 chance.
    Yes, technically you are correct. If you don't apply you have no chance. But realize just what you are trying to attempt.

You are up against THOUSANDS of other applicants. Even if you did amazing on all the tests, your still not a resident and not a veteran. Both of which will be picked before anybody else. Oh, and unless your a minority, that is yet another strike against you as far as hiring right now. There are minority, resident, veterans right now who cannot get on.

Quite honestly, you have a better chance of being struck by lightning then getting on the FDNY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    If youre not familiar with the city though, just pick one in Manhattan and bring a few bucks for a t-shirt.
    I HIGHLY reccomend visiting Engine 1/Ladder 24. It's less then a block from Penn Station and the guys there are great. They have T-shirts, hats and patches too. It was Father Mychal Judge's house as well.

Forum Member

After reading the additional replies, Ive got one more piece of advice for you:

If you want it, take it. Grab it by the balls and wrestle it into submission, until its begging and pleading for you to do so.

I came from Florida. I lived there most of my life. I worked, I went to school, I set goals, I studied and I planned, and at some point I smelled blood in the water.

The job is there for the taking. SOMEone has to get hired. Im no one special. Just another guy laying it on the line. It happens more often than you might think.

Next time, theres no reason it cant be you. You either make it happen or you dont.

The choice is yours.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok...I don't know how much I feel like typing but here goes...

By all means do some research. Go to FDNY Offical website...look at the employment links....there is even some FAQs that will clear somethings up for you.

IF YOU ARE OLDER THAN 29 by the begining of the next application period....you are SOL and sorry but you just need to move on with your life.

You have as much as chance as anyone depending on what you do to make it happen.(although future exams could change that)

That being said things are changing constantly around here and now we have a group of parasitic racists attempting to circumvent merit hiring standards & thanks to a leftist judge we aren't clear on the future of how hiring will be administered. This could take a few years and probably end up in the SCOTUS if everything goes our way.

As for some of your questions, you are asking the wrong ones, that much I can tell you.

Runs, fires high-anlge?... WGAF! (Fires per week? This isn't 1973 anymore.)

What you need to be looking into is what are the benefits, what is the pension, what is my starting sallary and what is the pay progression to top pay? What are the opportunies for promotion in the job.

Here is the problem....no one knows as the Pension system is all messed up as they dispensed with Tier II benefits for new hires and as of now you would be hired in Tier III...but it is likely that the UFA and PBA will change that in negotiations so we don't know what the final product will be.

Are you single...I know many married guys who move here once OTJ and the Mrs. drags them back to where they came from within a year or two of moving here...so keep that in mind.

Have you ever been to the city? and by that I don't mean times square. Do you know that you most likely wont be living in anything remotely resembling housing you are accustomed to in FL? Are you comfortable with a few hundred square feet at a rate of over $1 per sq/ft? for rent? Are you comfortable without having a parking spot for your car (assuming you can afford one). Do you mind public transportation, do you mind living very close to other people?

I note you asked about working EMS here...let me tell you. A. EMS in the city is worse than anyone can describe....pay is much much worse than firemans pay. B. On the FD we don't have much of a focus on EMS other than we are first-responders and basicly stop the clock for the city. We are the polar opposite as it related to FL FDs and their EMS focus. We have many more problems and if you are really interested in exploring the career possiblities and using your EMS skills....this ain't the place to do it.

You will never be more than a CFR-D on this job...so just be aware of that.

I hope that puts some things in perspective.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you guys for your feedback, I need to hear all these things, but please no more replies about the odds, or my chances of getting hired, I know the odds. All other replies have been very helpful, Thank you again and if anyone has anything else to say positive or negative, please let me know.

Thread Information