Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default jrs. and portable radios

i was wondering what are your rules are on having your jrs having portables not just provided by the station but if they were going to buy one of their own and used it on the fire ground just wondering what are some of your guys different rules
    thanks

I would not reccomend buying your own radio. If you need one, they will give you one. Don't look like a tool.

Forum Member

ya i was just wondering what some other peoples bylaws were on the subject

Juniors do not need radios. You should be with and under the supervision of a senior member (who has a radio) at all times. If you need to hear what is happening, listen to theirs. And if you really DO want a radio of your own, have the TX function disabled.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I believe uou are also supposed to have FCC authority to have the radio (technically) - which should be covered under the Department......if the Department doesn't issue or authorize it AND it has transmit capabilities you could get in trouble.....

Having a scanner shouln't be a big deal - although why you would want to carry one around the fireground.........I'd stick with someone who DOES have one or a pager.....

Forum Member

Follow FCC regulations. Don't be a tool. Don't get in the way of communications on scene. Use it to listen - You shouldn't be needing to transmit, unless you're responding to an order/assignment from advisors, firefighters, chiefs, or the IC.
    Use your money on something else... It's not a neccesity for juniors/explorers to have portables and the scene will still go on if you as a junior don't have a portable.

As an explorer, I was on a few fire scenes ride-alongs and I never once had a portable on scene. Assignments and orders were still passed along to me and I still was able to do what I was told to get done by the IC and firefighters. The world didn't end because I wasn't able to hear the assignment come over the radio. We're supposed to be staying with the IC or an engineer on a rig so we were always right by the person giving the order or another person with a portable to hear the assignment. Explorers/Juniors shouldn't be off by themselves on fire scense, or any IDLH environment for that matterm IMO. You should always be near some form of a supervisor as it is...

All in all... Don't waste your money on a portable right now. Focus on your training. Keep your nose in the books.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Jrs. have no business having a portable radio, period. End of discussion.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

I agree as Jr/Explorers we don't need radios.

For training maybe, but there is no use for them to have one other than for training.
    Delta107

Forum Member

No radios for jrs. They should always be with a firefighter, if they are on scene. During training, we will involve them with radios in communications classes. We also allow them during training and other no emergency stuff like department duties to carry the two way radios you can buy at Wal Mart if they want to buy them but they are not allowed on scene. Also even when using the two way radios they are required to use proper radio communication. We want them to be trained and ready to go when they become of age and experience to have a FD radio.

W also do not allow new members to have radios until at least they reach FFI level and have the approval of the Chief.

If they know how to use it and when to use it and when not to use, then they are no different than any other random firefighter having one. I encourage our explorers to grab a portable off the truck and have it on them during incidents and training. A few have their own which they carry instead and also use them outside the FD for recreational use. I train them myself on their proper use. Those who have their own, I'm the one that programmed it so I know what they can and can't talk on (talk on ours, TX inhibit on mutual aid channels.)

And guess what, like any other firefighter, he who is trained doesn't create a problem.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member Explorer Asst Chief Fern's Avatar

My FD only issues radios to officers, because we are mostly a volunteer dept. Everyone else is allowed to buy thier own radios, but explorers aren't supposed to have them. There are enough radios on the apparatus for everyone that rides in them.

The reason explorers aren't supposed to have them is because of stupid things people can do with them. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let all of the explorers carry radios. They can be stolen and abused, or the explorer's friends can get a hold of them and abuse the radio system. Some explorers are just not mature enough to handle owning a radio.

Forum Member

ya nmfire the jrs in my station can tlk on the radio if they are aloud to and like on the fire ground the grab them for traffic and hittin the hydrant i think if you have training and are aloud you should be aloud to use a radio

MembersZone Subscriber NathanWert's Avatar

The only time our explorers have radios is if they are using regular radios from radio shack. They NEVER have one of the fire department radios.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by donfoster14 View Post
    ya nmfire the jrs in my station can tlk on the radio if they are aloud to and like on the fire ground the grab them for traffic and hittin the hydrant i think if you have training and are aloud you should be aloud to use a radio
    I hope you talk on the radio better than you write

We are fortunate that the county and deprtments controll who gets personal radios. For the most part, Captains and above get a personal radio and everyone else uses the one's on the apparatus. It doesn't matter your status, if you allowed to ride, you can use the radio.

Forum Member

radio? whats that?? haha. Back when I was an explorer I don't even think I ever touched a radio, though I am sure I dreamed of the day I would get to. If I remember right only officers had radio's but there must have been some of the rigs too, too long ago to remember. As far as I am concerned there is no reason for an Explorer to have a radio outside of training. I know there is a 'cool' factor to having a radio, and I know several firefighters that still suffer from that 'cool problem' . I think explorers should know HOW to use a radio properly and calmly, you never know when the sh** might hit the fan and you need that explorer to step up and get on the radio and put out a call because something went bad. If you really want to learn get a scanner, if the firefighters give you crap so be it, its a good learning tool. If your smart you can figure out exactly how your suppose to talk on the radio and when the time comes you can show up everyone by being able to use proper radio language over the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by donfoster14 View Post
    I think you should pay more attention in school, especially to your English/Writing/Grammar classes, rather than being ALLOWED to carry a portable, much less participating in an explorer post.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Jrs. have no business having a portable radio, period. End of discussion.
    our explorer cheif and asst cheif capt and Lt carry radios for each officer has their own explorer company so my company leader is the cheif and im in company 1 so if on the scene the real ff cheif ask for a PAR than each explorer officer can report on the accountability of there commpany

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RS1606 View Post
    our explorer cheif and asst cheif capt and Lt carry radios for each officer has their own explorer company so my company leader is the cheif and im in company 1 so if on the scene the real ff cheif ask for a PAR than each explorer officer can report on the accountability of there commpany
    Please, also, accept the advice below, CHIEF. And I'm going to recommend that you download the Spell Check software on here.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I think you should pay more attention in school, especially to your English/Writing/Grammar classes, rather than being ALLOWED to carry a portable, much less participating in an explorer post.
    This is why I don't participate on here as much anymore. FH.com is not AIM or a text message to the girl you're trying to impress and get with, but have no chance as it is.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    I hope you talk on the radio better than you write

We are fortunate that the county and deprtments controll who gets personal radios. For the most part, Captains and above get a personal radio and everyone else uses the one's on the apparatus. It doesn't matter your status, if you allowed to ride, you can use the radio.
    At least I'm not the only one who thought that...

But on the original topic. I don't see a need for an explorer to carry a radio at an incident. I do think they should be trained on them, and allowed to use them at trainings if the situation calls for it, but not necessary on an incident scene.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 02-16-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Why would Jrs. have any need to "call par"? They should not be anywhere near the hot or warm zone and therefore there no chance they could "get lost". Just wait your turn, hand out water, roll hose, and stay out of the way. Give it time, pay your dues and when the time comes you can talk on the radio till heart is content.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information