Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Magazine Pictures in February's Firehouse

Did a quick look, did not see this discussed.

Has anyone else really noticed the number of pictures in this month's Firehouse (front cover, pg 98 & 99) that show a single handline doing seemingly nothing against heavy fire loads? I know this is a single snapshot in time and does not tell the whole story, but it sure looks silly.

Any comments?

It looks awesome. Like those facing the dragon t shirts.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Did a quick look, did not see this discussed.

Has anyone else really noticed the number of pictures in this month's Firehouse (front cover, pg 98 & 99) that show a single handline doing seemingly nothing against heavy fire loads? I know this is a single snapshot in time and does not tell the whole story, but it sure looks silly.

Any comments?
    Yeah, it sure looks silly, but let's face it most of the fires you reference are clearly the type of fires that are extinguished more by them running out of fuel than by putting enough water on them. So, for the most part, one could argue that putting any water directly onto these buildings on fire is an exercise in futility.

Most of the general public is fairly ignorant to our operations, particularly the technical stuff like understanding how many gpms are required to match the btus in those fires. As such, just letting these burn themselves out wouldn't sit well with the public. So, to an extent, as long as we're lobbing water at the fire, no matter how ineffective, they're essentially content.

Mr. Layman, what would have look silly would have been the fire department stayed in quarters and didn't respond.

These are "Hot Shots". These photos may have been shot in any stage of the operation. You can't judge the operation of any department by a single photo much less when you wasn't there or know the complete story.

It could in fact be that they were ordered to apply the hand lines as shown in the photo.

Some department once they arrived, do not make an interior fire attack, if they have been told that no one is inside or that they have a accountably count of the occupants. It then a defensive operation.

Is called firefighter safety.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Haven't you ever been first due ... or come across a fire and been the only company there until additional help arrives???

-Geesh-

Calm down folks, I was not bashing the operations, just surprised that there were a seemingly high number of pictures in this month's issue depicting a single small attack line in use at a "big fire."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Mr. Layman, what would have look silly would have been the fire department stayed in quarters and didn't respond.
    Agreed, and it is Mr. Lyman. A Layman is a "non-expert" in a spoken field, I sir can assure you that this is not an accurate description of me, my level of training or chosen profession. I'll chalk that up as a typo on your end.

These are "Hot Shots". These photos may have been shot in any stage of the operation. You can't judge the operation of any department by a single photo much less when you wasn't there or know the complete story.

It could in fact be that they were ordered to apply the hand lines as shown in the photo.

Some department once they arrived, do not make an interior fire attack, if they have been told that no one is inside or that they have a accountably count of the occupants. It then a defensive operation.
    Like I originally stated, I understand that these pictures are a snapshot in time and do not tell the whole story. Please don't lecture me on the difference between offensive and defensive operations. I was not suggesting that a search or interior attack should be performed at any of the incidents referenced. Hell, I did not even say anything was wrong with any of the pictures. I did state, and stand firmly behind it that it does still look silly to a person trained to know the difference.

Is called firefighter safety.
    Please, save your frivolous babble.

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Haven't you ever been first due ... or come across a fire and been the only company there until additional help arrives???
    Yes, but I did not take a picture of myself using a 1&3/4 handline on a fully involved structure fire and send it to Firehouse magazine either. Not that there is anything wrong with doing so, I just avoid that particular situation.

Again, snapshot in time. I did not state that anything was wrong or bash any department or there overall strategy. I was interested in the high number of pictures of a single handline operating against big fire and wanted to know if anyone else noticed. Don't try to look into my original post too much.

Thank you for your service in the military. I too have served my country in the Army for 6 years 1957-1963 and over 40 years in the fire service.

I call it like it is Pal.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    -Geesh-
    Don't try to look into my original post too much.

..... Ok ....

Laymens, you can't expect foreigners to understand the concepts you bandy about.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Thread Information