Forum Member

Default Rescue Squad Question

There's one thing I never understood. In the city why do they leave the back door on the rescue's walk-in body open while responding? It seems like someone could fall out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure which city you are talking about. They may leave it open to get air, or to see something outside to get a better idea where they are. They should be seated away from the door and seat-belted in so that they don't fall out.

Forum Member

I'm just talking about "in the city" in general. I've seen it in NY, DC to name a few. The crew also stands up to put on their gear while responding, so their not using seat belts.

Forum Member

Technically they are not supposed to be standing while the vehicle is in motion - that comes down to an enforcement issue within the conpany/department. The open door may be an 'old school tradition'.......not to say tht it is a good idea - any door that is there should be closed while in motion....it is there for a reason!

Back In Black

Why do you think they do it?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Why do you think they do it?
    Well...having been in a department that had a rescue like that.....on hot days, make it cooler inside (until the AC kicks in at least).....better view out the back by the occupants.....

As for standing - we actually had grap straps if I remember correctly.......stand up and you can see better.......get your gear on etc.....

How much time do you think is saved by gearing up in the back of the rig while it is moving vs. being geared up before you get on? ....or finishing when the rig arrives at the scene?.......

Forum Member

Forum Member

Some of the older rigs don't have A/C in the rear body (ours doesn't... actually there isn't any in the cab either). The open doors at least keep things bearable. The doors actually stay open in the winter too. When the side windows are closed none of the air rushes in from the back so the heat pretty much stays in. Anybody with a pickup or a Bronco with an opening rear window knows what I'm taking about.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

i think its because they are grown men and know how not to fall out of a small opening in a large truck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    i think its because they are grown men and know how not to fall out of a small opening in a large truck.
    hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    "The third reason we are fighting is because men like to fight. They always have and they always will. Some sophists and other crackpots deny that. They don't know what they're talking about. They are either goddamned fools or cowards, or both. Men like to fight, and if they don't they're not real men. "-Gen. George S. Patton

Forum Member

Thank goodness..a sensible answer. Also trying to get some air in there. In the summer it's like being in the hot box in "Bridge on the river Kwai"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep...........

Our Squad has a "Safety Chain" that hooks across the opening. Ventilation is one big reason for the doors being open, "Situational Awareness" is another. Last, it just plain looks Cool........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The door being open is ventilation. Standing up, gearing up, walking around, etc is stupid.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The door being open is ventilation. Standing up, gearing up, walking around, etc is stupid.
    so what about in the back of an ambulance?

Forum Member

so what about in the back of an ambulance?
    Until someone invents a restraint system that allows reach of everything, that will be a quandry. I've been in the back of an ambulance three times (well, once was as a trauma patient so that doesn't count I guess). Both times there was no way to do what we were dong with seatbelts on. If we crashed, we were gonna get hurt.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

ROFL.

Hopefully the gang in Boston don't have this feature on their rescues, or else that doink reporter might conduct another 'investigate report' .
    Remember KQJ943

Forum Member

Why don't the members here simply condemn what is an obviously very unsafe set of practices?

It's really tough to keep members alive when some seem to view an open door and members gearing up as the vehicle is responding as practices that are ok.

I would suspect the reason is tradition, which is not a valid reason at all, in this case.

Forum Member

Go to this link and select video #5 "Rescue Squad 3: Extricated" on the right and watch the first two minutes and see what I'm talking about!

http://thebattalion.tv/webisodes/dcfd
    Last edited by FireRescue61; 02-14-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Forum Member

Until someone invents a restraint system that allows reach of everything, that will be a quandry. I've been in the back of an ambulance three times (well, once was as a trauma patient so that doesn't count I guess). Both times there was no way to do what we were dong with seatbelts on. If we crashed, we were gonna get hurt.

Many states have an exemption on the seat belt law for the rear of an ambulance.

The exemption often reads to the effect "personnel that must move about the vehicle to perform task are exempted".

There really isn't that need in the back of a rescue truck responding to a fire. Gear can be put on in quarters and SCBA can be donned while seated and belted. Tools can be grabbed once on scene and on the way out of the apparatus.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Last, it just plain looks Cool........
    Took the words right out of my mouth Chief!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Why don't the members here simply condemn what is an obviously very unsafe set of practices?...
    Just curious...but about how many incidents of guys falling out the back of a rescue have actually occurred? If it is so obviously unsafe...there must be a lot.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Just curious...but about how many incidents of guys falling out the back of a rescue have actually occurred? If it is so obviously unsafe...there must be a lot.

Honestly, I don't know.

So I guess we should just wait until it happens and then say, "s**t happens"?

So are you saying you don't see this practice as unsafe?

Are you saying it is somehow so critical to our operations that doing it should be accepted?

Look how long we rode on tailboards. Look how long we used open cabs and semi-open cabs.

What is really so difficult about closing a door and belting in? Why do we as a service have such a problem accepting vehicle safety as a priority?

I guess I just see this as a pretty easy way to reduce the LODDs just a little bit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Honestly, I don't know.

So I guess we should just wait until it happens and then say, "s**t happens"?

So are you saying you don't see this practice as unsafe?

Are you saying it is somehow so critical to our operations that doing it should be accepted?

Look how long we rode on tailboards. Look how long we used open cabs and semi-open cabs.

What is really so difficult about closing a door and belting in? Why do we as a service have such a problem accepting vehicle safety as a priority?

I guess I just see this as a pretty easy way to reduce the LODDs just a little bit.
    Hey mr safety patrol, we go into burning buildings... that's not safe we better not do that either huh?

Those that can't do teach, congrats on being an educator!
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    Hey mr safety patrol, we go into burning buildings... that's not safe we better not do that either huh?

Those that can't do teach, congrats on being an educator!
    Oh goodness......LA going interior? HAHA

EMT, you have much to learn about LaFirePussy. Go and read some of his other postings...specifically the one where he talks about how he will NOT save a child from a burning car...it's too unsafe.

Forum Member

So why not control what we can control then?

"We go into burning buildings so we don't have be to secured while responding" is hardly a defense.

Thread Information