Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kansas City, Missouri

For those of you that want to fill out an interest card for the 2011 exam.

Career Fire Fighter

The next recruitment process will begin in January of 2011. Filling out an online interest card will help to ensure that you will be notified at the time of the next recruitment process.

http://ww4.kcmo.org/fire.nsf/web/int...d?opendocument

Once the interest card has been completed and submitted, as the application date approaches you will be contacted by mail with additional instructions for completing the application process. Please visit this page for updates and additional information as it becomes available.

The Kansas City Mo., Fire Department has more than 1,000 full-time employees. The department operates out of 34 fire stations. These stations are divided into seven battalion districts that include 34 Pumpers (Engine Companies), 12 Trucks (Ladder Companies), three Rescue and one shift deputy chief on duty every day in our community. The department is divided into five bureaus: Community Service Bureau, Professional Development Bureau, Technical Service Bureau, Special Operations Bureau and Emergency Operations Bureau.

Many emergencies that the fire department responds to involve building fires, hazardous material emergencies, emergency medical assistance, water rescue, confined space rescue, high angle rescue, citizen assistance, stand-by, aircraft emergencies and various other emergencies.

Thank you for your interest in serving on the Kansas City, Missouri Fire Department. The next application period begins in January of 2011. This process will establish a two year eligibility list. To apply, one must:

Be a resident of the City of Kansas City, Missouri at the time of application
    Be a high school graduate (or possess a state issued GED)
    Be 19 years of age by March 1, 2011
    Not have reached your 30th birthday by March 1, 2011
    (Applicants under the age of 45 by the application deadline, who have prior work experience with the City of Kansas City, Mo., Fire Department, may have that time deducted from their age in order to meet the age requirement as listed above.)
    Meet specified medical and physical requirements
    Possess a valid Missouri driver's license showing current residency.
    Prior to final selection, candidates must successfully pass a complete driving record and criminal history background check, a pre-employment drug screen, and a post-offer physical examination. Applicants, who fail to list any conviction, including moving traffic violations, may be eliminated from further consideration.

During the probationary period employees must take and pass the State Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) examination, a physical agility test, and obtain a defibrillator license issued by the City of Kansas City, Missouri Health Department as a condition of continued employment. Training for EMT, the physical agility test and the Health Department defibrillator license is provided at the KCFD Fire Academy.

Starting salary for fire fighters is $2,610/mo.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 02-13-2010 at 01:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

They would probably get more interest if you didn't have to be a resident of KCMO at time of application. That has to throw out several qualified, interested people?

2,610 to start isn't much that about 31,000 per year. East coast departrments paying minimun of 40K to start
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Resident at the time of APPLICATION? Disappointing to see that...

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Resident at the time of APPLICATION? Disappointing to see that...

That is called an Eliminator!!

In other words you want to be hired by them, live in their city!

If you don't go elsewhere.

That is their rules.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    2,610 to start isn't much that about 31,000 per year. East coast departrments paying minimun of 40K to start
    While I don't recall seeing KC on the list, there was a list of cities and what it took to live as compared to 50G's in Houston....NY it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 140,000! just to be the same as 50 in TX...I imagine KC isn't much different than houston in terms of COL.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default Kcfd

I've went thru the process twice now. How come we are posting so early in the process? Does anyone know how many they have taken from the 2009 list and if anymore academies are to come before 2011?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Cost of living in KC is slightly below the national average according to most indices.

Residency is required to apply and as a condition of continued employment. However, the city has a very diverse range of housing and neighborhoods, including a densely-populated core of typical midwestern pre-war urbanism, a significant bungalow belt of 1920-40's era housing stock, large swaths of post-war suburbia, brand new mcmansion-y developments and even some rural farmland, so there are lots of options for different lifestyle choices within the city limits.

Our payscale begins at 31K +/- and goes up at 6 months and then every year thereafter by a factor of about 5 % (again +/-). We also have a COLA of between 2 and 4 percent per year. Be advised, however, that we are currently under a city-wide pay freeze.

They are still hiring off the 2009 list as vacancies occur. Additional vacancies are expected as people resign/retire. They will continue to hire to fill those vacancies from the current list. I have no idea of the actual numbers they have hired or will hire from the last list.

Additionally, the FD is in the process of taking over amulance operations in the city, so our front line staffing is increasing by a couple hundred employees. Though the specifics are still being hammered out, the additional jobs will mean additional hiring (eventually). All vacancies (FD and EMS) henceforth will be filled through the fire department's academy.

Forum Member

Default Kcfd

Chingon - Do you feel any mass retirements coming forth in 2011/2012? I also wonder if KCFD will adopt KCK policy where you have to ride the box for a few years first.

Forum Member

Has anyone responded to you question of how many more academy classes there are to be before 2011? I am interested as well. I know they had one class of the first 16 and they graduate in the next week.

Forum Member

Default Kcfd

No nobody has replied. I think recently they have been having 1 academy a year around September? It sucks because I had a great ranking two years ago and now I'm not even in the top 100. I still have two more tries though. Did you make it to the final interview this time?

Forum Member

Default No replies cause...

Nobody has any hard answers. Lots of Rumors and whispers of academy stuff, but with the MAST merger lots of stuff is in the air.

Forum Member

Default Kcfd

I'm ready for 2011 to get here so they can re-run the app process so I can get a higher rank #. I hope they keep the same process though. I also hope they don't adopt KCK's process where you must ride the box first.

Forum Member

Rumors is that new hires will ride the box...

Forum Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that you pretty much have to know someone at the KCFD to get on? I've lived in KC all my life, any of you KC FF's have any advice on the best way to go?

Forum Member

Default Kcfd

No I have never really heard that. That was the case at most departments back in the day. Although I do know a few members that got a high ranking and their last name was very familiar... Just sayin.

Forum Member

Default Age ?

initially on the KCMO website there is a March 1st deadline for turning 30, I turn 30 three weeks before that. is that a deal breaker ? Its confusing because if you download the recruiting brochure on the city's website it just say's you have to be between the ages of 19 and 30 on last day of the application period.

Forum Member

does anyone know if the residency requirment apply for those who are currently in the military as well?

Forum Member

I think they are looking for experinced people because last time I had a call from them I told them I never taken classes yet and had to learn some things.

They told me they wanted people with experince so I dont think you should expect any Classes or any Thing.

Forum Member

Nevermind their testing process, let's keep KC pump operator Richard Paul in your thoughts and prayers. He suffered a heart attack Friday while taking his annual physical and was later pronounced dead at the hospital. He was 54. Keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thread Information