MembersZone Subscriber

Default New fire hose/what to buy

This may be a loaded questions but here goes. We were awarded a grant for new hose. We are looking for 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 inch attack hose. I am looking for feedback on whats good, what not to buy etc.

Forum Member

We use KEY Hose. I have used it for a very long time and have very few issues.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

This has been discussed at length...links below:

well...would have been discussed but for some reason posts from 2009 are missing from search results....I'll try later.

Forum Member

I have used a lot of different hose in my time, and Angus Hi-Combat is the bomb. If I were in charge of purchasing hose for my organization it would be them every time.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Ya I will Second FWDbuff Angus Is really good stuff.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

What makes the Hi-Combat hose so much better than the other brand of fire hose?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My #1 POC FD uses Key Nitrile rubber hose in 100 foot lengths. It has held up great and we like it very much. Hose off the chunks and dirt and reload it.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvfd2167 View Post
    What makes the Hi-Combat hose so much better than the other brand of fire hose?
    Research premium attack hose. You have Angus Hi-Combat, Key Combat Ready, Ponn Conquest, Fire Equip Master Flow and I am sure a few others. Out of all of them Hi-Combat usually has the lowest reviews and highest friction loss numbers.

That being said hopefully he bought hose. The next round of grants have been awarded since this post.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

No to NEIDNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! POS !!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    No to NEIDNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! POS !!!!!!!!!!!
    joshie, the stories I could tell you!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'm assuming this is Nieder's weak attempt at the premium hose market. It doesnt even come in anything above 1 3/4"...

http://www.niedner.com/en/products_p...?productId=622
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

we have had good luck with firequip.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    we have had good luck with firequip.
    I'm pretty sure FireQuip doesn't actually make hose. They private label from the main hose makers, and there are only a few. I believe there are three at the moment. If Charlie, at Key, keeps up his momentum he might end up owning all of the American looms that can make lay flat, double jacket hose. I'm not sure but I think Angus and Key might have something going on with LDH? Anyone know?

Forum Member

We have been using KEY Combat for a few years now with no problems. We switched from Hi-Combat and the one major difference I noticed right away is that the KEY doesn't slip through your hands or armpit the way Hi combat does. If I remember correctly the outer construction of Hi combat was suppose to facilitate easier pulling of the hose because it produced less friction but the drawback was it made it a pain to hold on to. Have used both on several fires and prefer KEY much better due to the above reasons.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

I dont know or care if firequip makes or rebrands their hose. We used Key -had some trouble with the couplings slipping. Tried firequip DJ-800 - have had no problems. The op asked a question , and I answered it. And NO -I dont sell hose .
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I dont know or care if firequip makes or rebrands their hose. We used Key -had some trouble with the couplings slipping. Tried firequip DJ-800 - have had no problems. The op asked a question , and I answered it. And NO -I dont sell hose .
    OK, I'll put it a little differently. I know for a fact that Key has sold fire hose to Firequip and you might have been using Key all along. If couplings slipped on their hose on a regular basis Key probably would not be in business. If that upsets you I don't know or care.

Forum Member

I used to sell hose for Sam at Firequip and then it was Snap-Tite/Ponn.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

We use Key Combat for our 1 3/4" crosslays. We have a mixture of other, older Key 1 3/4" and 2 1/2". We have high-rise packs that are two 75' sections of Key lightweight 2 1/2". I'm not sure what model, but it's new, and single jacket.

Forum Member

We use Ponn Conquest. Haven't had a problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Attack lines, rubber or cloth, and why?

Forum Member

Most are cloth. Why? Cuz they worked.....no real reason. For us, the cloth has worked well in all temps, the rubber got a little stiff in the cold. Just never impressed us enough to swap to all rubberized.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

depends on your budgeting. With the rubber you just wipe it off and reload, trade off it is stiffer. A dept I was visiting a few yrs ago had bought Angus and it was like loading 2x4 in a cross lay and the temp was in the 80's. Dbl jacket for smoother usage, appears to kink less
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    depends on your budgeting. With the rubber you just wipe it off and reload, trade off it is stiffer. A dept I was visiting a few yrs ago had bought Angus and it was like loading 2x4 in a cross lay and the temp was in the 80's. Dbl jacket for smoother usage, appears to kink less
    Rubber hose will mold just like anything else if put back wet into a compartment and not allowed to dry. We used to run it on the front bumper lines (with covers) and it stayed gross. Finally a section failed hose testing and we replaced it with cloth double jacket.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

We use Ponn Conquest and never had an issue until this last order. While we tested the hose before putting it into service serveral pinholes were found in a couple sections. No worries though the vendor had new sections out to us within a week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Watch out for hose like FireQuip. They buy the hose from the lowest bidder (key, ponn, angus, some unknown chinese brand, etc.) and couplings from the lowest bidder, then put the hose together and sell it. You may get great hose one time and then get crappy hose the next. You can never tell what you will get.

Thread Information