Forum Member

Default Question about MI Fire Fighting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently beginning my AAS in Fire Science degree with Kaplan. I am currently Active Duty Army as a Chaplain Asst. though for 6 years prior I was an Air Force medic, a Navy Corpsman and an Army Medic (yes I served in all 3). I was an EMT-B for roughly 5 years, with PHTLS cert. I was an ER Tech and ICU Tech during that time as well and a lifeguard in highschool. I let EMT cert exp a couple years ago and know I will have to get it back. How will this background and the degree help me in gettin a paid position on a dept. I am goin back to michigan in a couple years. And seems like back there most are volunteer or becoming volunteer. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Default hire

jobs are tight all over the state, not only that if you do land one the pay isnt going to be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

with every dept. laying off, they will hire those with experience first. most likely have to go out of state

Forum Member

from what i have found it is going to be hard to get on a department up there right now. I curantly am a firefighter in NC, but am moving back to michigan. It is all in what you want. I did the 6 years in the Air Force as a Firefighter and got a bunch of certs that are worthless in michigan. All my wifes family and all my family are up there so thats where we are going. I will get on a POC department and get a job doing something, but I am sure i will not be getting on a fulltime dept, since there are so few openings right now. I will just wait my time and see what i can do. Happy hunting to you and i hope you find a job. Indiana has a few jobs and its not to far.

Thread Information