Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Success with FP&S for key box system?

Greetings all-

Wondering if anybody has had success in writing for a key box (i.e. knox box) system for their areas with a FP&S application? I'm considering the possibility of writing for a system for the 2 FD's in my town (we are automatic aid) to cover businesses, high hazard occupancies, and possibly the 'temporary' residential units for some of our elderly / handicapped residents.

Anybody been successful in this? Willing to share your narratives or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

We have gotten an 1199 on ours for this year, I dont want to jinx my app but send me and email address and I can show you what we asked for.

Crap... Would have been easier if I remembered to include that the first time! Sorry...

bwebster@nycap.rr.com

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    Crap... Would have been easier if I remembered to include that the first time! Sorry...

bwebster@nycap.rr.com

Thanks, Ben
    I have one from the 2008. It was for the master Key-Secure system. Are you looking for that?

Forum Member

Last year we tried for a knox box project but was DJ'ed. We tried again this year as well with some removal of some stuff. First year we did the secure key system for all the apparatus, knox boxes for all businesses, knox boxes for 150 homes for an elderly community, and preplan equipment.

This year we took out the boxes for the 150 homes to reduce the cost.

What are successful grants being awarded on these?

Forum Member

Our grant, which hasn't been awarded, but has an 1199 as of a week ago, is for a 3 tiered project. We asked for laptops for our apparatus with mobile inspection and pre plan software as well as training for all our personell in both fire inspections and the mobile software. Also we have about 200 target hazzards, mainly 23 blocks of old downtown buildings and all our schools for knox box purchase and install. Also the key secure system for 8 apparatus is a part of our knox box project. The third level of our grant is a digital fire extinguisher trainer system for our businesses , as we do many fire extinguisher programs with a metal trashcan and newspaper. We are trying to cover all aspects of both fire prevention, safety and pre planning within our downtown area where we have entire blocks of connected buildings with a mix of both residential and commercial occupancies. As I said we do not want to jinx our grant and only have an 1199 so far, but we are in need of this to take our program to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by bfd1205 View Post
    OThe third level of our grant is a digital fire extinguisher trainer system for our businesses , as we do many fire extinguisher programs with a metal trashcan and newspaper. .

Can I ask, what did you get approved on this dollar wise?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Can I ask, what did you get approved on this dollar wise?
    Total applied for was 156,000. If you are interested, I can let you know after we are awarded , what dollar amount each individual item was funded.

Total applied for was 156,000. If you are interested, I can let you know after we are awarded , what dollar amount each individual item was funded.
    Please do - I am just wondering what the digital trainer is going for.

Thanks

Our grant, which hasn't been awarded, but has an 1199 as of a week ago, is for a 3 tiered project. We asked for laptops for our apparatus with mobile inspection and pre plan software as well as training for all our personell in both fire inspections and the mobile software. Also we have about 200 target hazzards, mainly 23 blocks of old downtown buildings and all our schools for knox box purchase and install. Also the key secure system for 8 apparatus is a part of our knox box project. The third level of our grant is a digital fire extinguisher trainer system for our businesses , as we do many fire extinguisher programs with a metal trashcan and newspaper. We are trying to cover all aspects of both fire prevention, safety and pre planning within our downtown area where we have entire blocks of connected buildings with a mix of both residential and commercial occupancies. As I said we do not want to jinx our grant and only have an 1199 so far, but we are in need of this to take our program to the next level.
    Sounds like a project I'd like to try here. Could you shoot me a copy of the narrative? cmathis@scvfs.org Thanks in advance and congrats on the 1199!

Forum Member

If could send me a copy of your info to chief@venusfirerescue.org I would also like to see it.

Forum Member

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Cmathis View Post
    Sounds like a project I'd like to try here. Could you shoot me a copy of the narrative? cmathis@scvfs.org Thanks in advance and congrats on the 1199!
    Could I also request a copy of the narrative? Thanks in advance too

rschwahn@martindps.org

Forum Member

Emailed to both of you, if you don't get it shoot me a message back

Forum Member

Cool

Just had our company meeting tonight and our chief this year satated he wanted a knox box system and start doing pre-plans and have the data in the trucks. Found this thread and wondered if anyone is able to share their narratives with me for this years FP&S grant? I know I have my work cut out for me to shift gears and get this done. Thanks for any help.

jfarber@atlanticbb.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Default lock box

BFD - We have this year's ready to go - actually started with a pre-assessment over a year ago to vaildate our suspicions. We are planning a very similar program - and the lock boxes sound like a good fit. I too would be interested in a copy of the narrative - thanks and be safe!

Agiard1428@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    Wondering if anybody has had success in writing for a key box (i.e. knox box) system for their areas with a FP&S application?
    Personally, I'm hard pressed to come up with any justification for a lock box system under the heading of "fire prevention" or "public safety." That and the fact that a lock box program should reasonably be paid for virtually in its entirety by the property owners where the boxes are installed would make it a no starter for me if I were reviewing that application.

Just my two cents.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

We've been turned down twice, so if someone can shoot a copy of their narratives this way...I'd appreciate that.

bones42@verizon.net

DM, it's a listed item under FP&S grants. In my case, being a town with many summer rental properties that are locked up tight for 6 months of the year, we need the ability to gain entry without forcing entry. Many times have had alarms sounding and property owner is 3 states away. Ya, they could leave keys with someone closer...but they don't. Ya, they could pay for the Knox Box system themself, but they aren't forced to and town council is unwilling to force anything new on property owners. So our simple plan is to get a quantity of the boxes to provide to property owners on a first come first serve basis. With that ability, the town would then be more willing to enact an ordinance as people HAD the chance to get the item free.

Would I rather the town just up and force people? Yup. But I'm not a politician so all I can do is ask. FD membership is no where near the majority of voters in the town.

We need to work with the property owners as we have found, in the past, they simply remove/disable all of their alarms during the off-season. It has led to fires being found much too late...

And on a personal note, I'd rather FD's be able to get Knox Box systems through the grant process than exercise equipment.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

BFD1205 and if anyone else will to offer up a narrative for the know box system, I would be interested too. If will you could send it to: Depchief11@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for all your help from the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    we need the ability to gain entry without forcing entry
    Take out a front door just once and watch them other alarm users buy a box toute suite.

With that ability, the town would then be more willing to enact an ordinance as people HAD the chance to get the item free.
    Keep in mind that, even if you can pass an ordinance requiring people to put up the boxes, you can't (not easily anyway) require them to supply keys or update them every time they change the locks...

And on a personal note, I'd rather FD's be able to get Knox Box systems through the grant process than exercise equipment.
    I disagree. Exercise equipment for the FD is a far greater benefit to firefighter safety and public safety than lock boxes which are a convenience at best.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    ...I disagree. Exercise equipment for the FD is a far greater benefit to firefighter safety and public safety than lock boxes which are a convenience at best.
    Walk, run, jog. Lift a roll of hose. Do curls with haligan bars. You don't need special equipment to exercise. Use the tools/equipment you have around the firehouse. Treadmills and stationary bikes and weight systems are nice...but not needed to exercise and get/stay in shape.

Believe me, I am all for guys being fit for the job. I just don't see the need for exercise equipment as a benefit...there are too many other options out there to get/stay in shape.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information