Forum Member

Default Missouri City (Tx) Fire Dept Test on March 13

Hey Everybody,

Just letting you know that we'll be having a test for certified Fire/EMT in Missouri City on March 13. It's a 2 part test, first is written. If you pass (it's graded that day), you move on to the PAT that's held right after.

You can apply online at missouricitytx.gov. Qualifications are Texas Certified Basic FF and either NREMT or TDSHS EMT Basic or higher.

It's a great city with alot of room for advancement. We have a busy call volume and we don't transport for EMS, we only respond.

If you have any questions, feel free to post.

Take care,
    Pete

MembersZone Subscriber

Pete, do you know if there is any latitude with fire certs. ie my fire cert is from a different state. It's IFSAC though. The link you provided gives conflicting information.

Thanks Bud.

Forum Member

Hey Bud,

Yes, Texas is an IFSAC state. You will need to go to the Texas Commission on Fire Protection website to get "reciprocity". It's www.tcfp.state.tx.us. I believe there's a fee for transferring, but it should be pretty straight forward.

As far as the city's concerned, you need your TCFP certificate, not just your IFSAC symbols. So, once you have the TCFP cert, you'll qualify to test.

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to post / send a pm if you need anything else. We want to encourage as many as possible to test, but only if they qualify.

Also, what was the conflicting information? I just want to make sure it's clear, because we didn't notice anything when we put it together.

Take care Bud.
    Pete
    Last edited by sweetpete; 02-14-2010 at 06:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pete,

Maybe conflicting information was the wrong term. On the application supplement it asks if you have your Texas FF card but also asks if you have an IFSAC FF.

Do you know how many ya'll intend to hire over the life of the test?

Thank you Sir,

FB

Forum Member

Bud,

No problem. That's interesting. I'm not sure why they ask about the IFSAC, to be honest. I'll have to get a clarification.

As far as how many we're hiring....I truly don't know. We hired 6 over the last year, and we'll probably be hiring about the same over the next year. I will say, that we have plans on expansion and we want to be staffed to meet the needs of our city, so we'll be looking for some well qualified applicants.

If you think you can get that State cert by March, I would highly recommend coming down to test, especially since it all happens in one day. I got hired from Ohio and it's been the best move I've been able to make, especially in this economy.

Take care,
    Pete

Forum Member

I have my emt-b and currently getting my paramedic. i should be done with my paramedic by june. I do not have my fire certs. can I still apply?

MembersZone Subscriber

frank,

in texas if you are ifsac ff2 and have hazmat ops you can be a basic texas firefighter. our basic cert is equal to ifsac ff1 ff2 hamat awareness and ops. and you must be medically certified to be a certified texas firefighter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skykrew View Post
    I have my emt-b and currently getting my paramedic. i should be done with my paramedic by june. I do not have my fire certs. can I still apply?
    Sorry Sky....gotta be TCFP certified as a Basic FF. Can't send you out to battle without your cert. We'll be testing again in March 2011 also.

Pete

Forum Member

Thanks to everyone who came out and tested today!! It was a really nice turn out. See ya again next year!!

Pete

Forum Member

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Thread Information