Forum Member

Default My "new" '75 Seagrave

Some of you may remember the thread where I was looking for the vintage Opticom emitter and the Seagrave bell. Well I found both, although the bell is out for re-chroming.

At any rate, this is why I was searching. I obtained a '75 Seagrave to use primarily with our IAFF local for charity events, PAC functions, press conferences, school visits, parades, etc. It has also already been requested for a few kids birthday parties.

Here is the history: Originally purchased by Fairfax County, VA. Factory refurbed in the late 90's and converted to 4 door cab. Sold to Chinchilla VFD in PA around 2003. Then sold to a retired fireman in the LA area who supplies fire apparatus to production companies for TV commercials, TV shows, and movies. Sold to me in December and it finally arrived about 4-5 days ago by truck freight.

So far I have:

Removed a 60" Whelen NFPA Freedom LED bar (on ebay) I
    Installed the Twinsonic.
    Replaced the rear beacons.
    Washed and waxed it
    Installed Federal Q
    Installed vintage Opticom emitter.
    Lettered to my department with our IAFF Local number - why its E-1784

What I have left:

Install bell when it gets back
    Install flush OR pedestal mount Mars 888
    Replace starter switch on generator
    Cover or remove lettering on front of cab.
    Convert Whelen halogen lights on the ffront to strobe.

Thanks for indulging me!!

Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-14-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

That thing still looks nice enough to be a frontline engine in many departments.

Early Adopter

Sharp looking ride, Lieut.

It's no '74 Seagrave, but a buddy and I still kick ourselves in the rear when we think about this 1980 FMC the city got rid of for scrap cost a few years ago. They accepted bids to buy it and we joked about putting in $500 just for fun but didn't do it. As it turns out, no one bid on the thing and it went away to the scrap yard. I always thought it would look good numbered Engine 4453 -- our local number. We were just talking the other day about finding one similar to refurb... but it would certainly cost us more than $500 now.

Forum Member

Loot, where are you storing it, and who did you go with for insurance and how much if I may ask? How did you title it? Just comparing.......Here is the FWD just ITCHING to get out into it's "natural element."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

FWD,

I do not have it titled yet, but I imagine it will just be titled to me. We may title it to me and the Local......not sure yet. We have to look into any possible ramifications of doing that.

I have it insured for almost 3 times what I payed for it through Hagerty insurance. It costs me $161 a year for a zero deductible policy.

I am storing it at an inside storage place down the street from the Memphis Station that I work at.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

That is a nice looking rig. Very clean.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Loot, where are you storing it, and who did you go with for insurance and how much if I may ask? How did you title it? Just comparing.......Here is the FWD just ITCHING to get out into it's "natural element."
    I'm impressed. There isn't room for a car in my garage -- let alone a fire engine. (Of course, that's mostly because it's a garage in a 1940s house. Few cars would fit in the thing if it was empty. But, still...)

Forum Member

You boys might have cried, We just sold a 1955 Dodge, with a Hemi powered waterous for the price of 1350.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Great looking rig!

Coz,

Our dept. just sold a somewhat similar engine, 1974 Ford/John Bean? (unsure of the manufactuer) for $900 I believe it was. A few of us had joked around about chipping in and buying it.

Our fireman's association bought and refurbed the first engine our department ever had, a 1961 Ford/American and we use it as a parade truck. The thing is awesome.... I'll have to get some pictures of that up here.

Maybe we should start a thread for vintage fire apparatus owned by forum members?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I wish I had some pictures of our 1923 Stoughton. 350 gpm pump. Used until 1950. Sold to a farmer who used it pump manure. Eventually bought back and refurbished.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    You boys might have cried, We just sold a 1955 Dodge, with a Hemi powered waterous for the price of 1350.
    Man, I would've jumped on that in a heartbeat. Got any old pictures?

Forum Member

Here you Go, We all kind of Cried when it left, But it happens I guess, And yes the odometer reading is correct.

Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Here you Go, We all kind of Cried when it left, But it happens I guess, And yes the odometer reading is correct.

Wow. I like that. Such low miles too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    I'm impressed. There isn't room for a car in my garage -- let alone a fire engine. (Of course, that's mostly because it's a garage in a 1940s house. Few cars would fit in the thing if it was empty. But, still...)
    Thats my (ok me and the little FWDbuffs) Man-Cave. No women allowed. Mommy's van (shown) only allowed in the event of snow. Mommy is CERTAINLY NOT allowed to back it in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    FWD,

I do not have it titled yet, but I imagine it will just be titled to me. We may title it to me and the Local......not sure yet. We have to look into any possible ramifications of doing that.

I have it insured for almost 3 times what I payed for it through Hagerty insurance. It costs me $161 a year for a zero deductible policy.

I am storing it at an inside storage place down the street from the Memphis Station that I work at.
    What I meant about the title maybe went along with "how will it be registered?" As an antique?? As a classic?? Check with your insurance provider, you may have to title it as a classic under their policy (DAMN THATS EXPENSIVE!!!! just kidding.....I only pay $68.00 per year, under Met Life.)

And never, ever, ever store it long-term outdoors. Even with a cover. Never. Ever. Ever!!!!!!!
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-15-2010 at 08:17 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone interested in a 62 Ford/Young Brothers rig? Needs some cleaning and TLC.
    http://cnyfiretrucks.com/uv/VanHornesvilleE159.jpg
    Taken out of service last year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What I meant about the title maybe went along with "how will it be registered?" As an antique?? As a classic?? Check with your insurance provider, you may have to title it as a classic under their policy (DAMN THATS EXPENSIVE!!!! just kidding.....I only pay $68.00 per year, under Met Life.)

And never, ever, ever store it long-term outdoors. Even with a cover. Never. Ever. Ever!!!!!!!
    Oh!!! I am clearly new at this. Thanks for the insight. I know TN does antique registrations. Not sure about classic.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Cool

Some of you may remember the thread where I was looking for the vintage Opticom emitter and the Seagrave bell. Well I found both, although the bell is out for re-chroming.

At any rate, this is why I was searching. I obtained a '75 Seagrave to use primarily with our IAFF local for charity events, PAC functions, press conferences, school visits, parades, etc. It has also already been requested for a few kids birthday parties.

Here is the history: Originally purchased by Fairfax County, VA. Factory refurbed in the late 90's and converted to 4 door cab. Sold to Chinchilla VFD in PA around 2003. Then sold to a retired fireman in the LA area who supplies fire apparatus to production companies for TV commercials, TV shows, and movies. Sold to me in December and it finally arrived about 4-5 days ago by truck freight.

So far I have:

Removed a 60" Whelen NFPA Freedom LED bar (on ebay) I
    Installed the Twinsonic.
    Replaced the rear beacons.
    Washed and waxed it
    Installed Federal Q
    Installed vintage Opticom emitter.
    Lettered to my department with our IAFF Local number - why its E-1784

What I have left:

Install bell when it gets back
    Install flush OR pedestal mount Mars 888
    Replace starter switch on generator
    Cover or remove lettering on front of cab.
    Convert Whelen halogen lights on the ffront to strobe.

Thanks for indulging me!!

The difference between the men and the boys is the size and the price of their toys!

Nice rig, LT, enjoy it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It is nice Robert. Can I visit and drive her??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Our fireman's association bought and refurbed the first engine our department ever had, a 1961 Ford/American and we use it as a parade truck.
    The 1980 FMC was actually older than our city! The pumper was bought by the Property Owner's Association back when the area was unincorporated. Maumelle didn't incorporate until 1985. So we let history slip away, too.

What's crazy is that to me, 1980 doesn't seem like it should be an antique -- but according to the state DMV, 1985's are antiques this year. Yeesh. Not only would it have been good to keep for historic and parade purposes... but, when I think ahead to when I die at age 103, the FMC had a low hose bed. It would have made it easier for the boys to load my pine box for the trip to the church.

Forum Member

wow that thing is sweet! Congrats

FIREMAN 1st GRADE
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 02-17-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post

What's crazy is that to me, 1980 doesn't seem like it should be an antique -- but according to the state DMV, 1985's are antiques this year. Yeesh. Not only would it have been good to keep for historic and parade purposes... but, when I think ahead to when I die at age 103, the FMC had a low hose bed. It would have made it easier for the boys to load my pine box for the trip to the church.

1989 is considered antique here in WI. Anything 20 years old or older, you can get either antique or hobbyist plates for it. Or any homemade motorcycles resembling something at least 20 years old. (from the dmv site- http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...l/hobbyist.htm )
    My buddy is getting hobbyist plates for his "performance" 89 Geo Metro

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    Hey Ray, do you live on SI, in between the bottom of Todt Hill Road and Hylan Blvd????

MembersZone Subscriber

So
    Nice looking. Need a 75 era radio control head?

What is the item number on Ebay for the led bar

Thread Information