Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default got some questions can anyone help?

hey everyone, im a firefighter fresh out of fire academy and in a paramedic course at texas A&M had a few questions wondering if anyone can help me out.

i recently received a public intoxication... stupid i know but i am wondering if anyone know if its goin to affect my chances of getting on a fire station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome ROGO.
    It may affect your hiring status if you are expected to drive a department vehicle. Have you gone and talked with the local prosecutor? Many times they will agree to reduced charges for first time DWI, if you meet certain requirements like, completing a substance abuse classes, completing a defensive driving course, or just plead guilty to a lesser charge. Not saying this will hapen but it has been known to happen.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

from what i gathered its a class c Misdemeanor its the equal to a traffic fine but since its involved with drinking i was a little worried about it, i've talked to some police officers and said that they have had other fighters arrested for the same thing but i think were already on a station or something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    Welcome ROGO.
    It may affect your hiring status if you are expected to drive a department vehicle. Have you gone and talked with the local prosecutor? Many times they will agree to reduced charges for first time DWI, if you meet certain requirements like, completing a substance abuse classes, completing a defensive driving course, or just plead guilty to a lesser charge. Not saying this will hapen but it has been known to happen.
    Good luck.

If it was public intoxication, then there is no DWI issue of driving course needed. No vehicle was involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    If it was public intoxication, then there is no DWI issue of driving course needed. No vehicle was involved.
    My bad. It should be a non-issue, as long as you did not fight the cops or other silliness.

Sorry

Forum Member

See if you can get it expunged from your record. This makes it as if it never happened, or you can try and get deferred adjudication. Defferred doesn't keep it off your record, but it's better than having just an alcohol arrest on your record. I do beleive you have to plea no contest to do defferred too.

Simply its going to depend on the department. Denver and the 3 Volunteer Departments I have applied for. Said on the app no alcohol offense.

Also as others will tell you DO NOT TRY to hind it. Even if it is expunged there is still going to be an arrest record which they will see on a backround check.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    My bad. It should be a non-issue, as long as you did not fight the cops or other silliness.

Sorry
    WHAT's THIS!!!!! People using poor Judgment allowed in the Fire Department???? :EEK:

To the OP, certain crimes and offenses shouldn't be a problem as long as there is not a pattern and you can explain it well enough.

Forum Member

appreciate all the help guys, we all worked hard to able to call our selves firefighters, i just really dont want some stupid decision to take it all away from me.

thanks! rodger

Quote Originally Posted by ROGO View Post
    hey everyone, im a firefighter fresh out of fire academy and in a paramedic course at texas A&M had a few questions wondering if anyone can help me out.

i recently received a public intoxication... stupid i know but i am wondering if anyone know if its goin to affect my chances of getting on a fire station.
    Make sure that you do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to hide it. This applies to anything you've had expunged. Even expunged items do leave some type of mark (although I do not know what it is) on your record. If the organization you are applying for has OCD with regards to background checks, they can find out anything you are attempting to make "not readily apparent".

Bottom line - Conduct yourself in a "business as usual" fashion. Apply every place you've considered applying. If they open the door with regards to this issue, be humble as you walk through it, be completely honest, and show what you've learned from it.

Good luck and stay away from alcohol in public.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    WHAT's THIS!!!!! People using poor Judgment allowed in the Fire Department???? :EEK:

To the OP, certain crimes and offenses shouldn't be a problem as long as there is not a pattern and you can explain it well enough.
    Yep, you got me. Stating what I have seen departments do, not being a felon I thought I would respond like I did.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, I think it will be a big black mark. It shows poor judgement and decision making skills are important in the fire service. You can attempt to get the charge reduced, but it will still come up in the background. I'm not saying there isn't a dept out there that won't hire you, but as competitive as it is now they can pick and choose someone with a clean background.

Forum Member

right now i have the citation on deffered adjudication as long as i dont get in trouble with another alcohol charge i will go off my record you think that once its off my record that will help?

We all do stupid stuff when we are young.

Some departments will not like it and not hire you. Some departments won't care.

What I look for is patterns. Does this person have a pattern of doing stupid things while intoxicated? This could be a make or break decision.

As long as you don't do it again or do some other crime while intoxicated you should be ok for most departments.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

thanks for the info dickey this is my first time for something like this beside speeding ticket i just really didnt want all i worked for to just go out the window you know?

thanks! rodger
    Last edited by ROGO; 02-17-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

Now that the resident expert on hiring paid firefighters has given his professional opinion, the matter is now closed; no need for any further posts.

Thread Information