Forum Member

Default Cant we all get along...:

I'm a relatively new to the fire service but have gotten years of training in just a few. and recently made 2nd assistant I'm trying to figure out where all the negative thinking is come from. We work hard and try and do positive think for the members shirts, dinners, and uniforms. But the "old timers" seem to fight us the whole way . They think the members should pay for all extras that we do. But shouldn't we get some incentive for tje hard work and dedication.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jt17fd View Post
    I'm a relatively new to the fire service but have gotten years of training in just a few. and recently made 2nd assistant I'm trying to figure out where all the negative thinking is come from. We work hard and try and do positive think for the members shirts, dinners, and uniforms. But the "old timers" seem to fight us the whole way . They think the members should pay for all extras that we do. But shouldn't we get some incentive for tje hard work and dedication.
    It will depend on the priorities of your department and whether or not the department can actually afford such perks. One question, are you there for the perks or to serve the community? If the later what is the problem? We pay for the specialty gear we want from our own pocket, Tee shirts, hats, jackets,..
    I would have no issue with the department providing such things, I just do not see an issue if there is an objection.

MembersZone Subscriber

Acklan hit most of the high points. You don't say if you are career or volunteer, and I don't know what your department's financial situation is, but it may be that there are more important things that the money needs to be saved for.

There is nothing wrong with little perks, they help keep people motivated, especially in a volunteer department. If it becomes more about what perks you get than helping the community and doing the job, then there might be a problem.

Early Adopter

I don't know if you're making good decisions or not with the spending. Post a spreadsheet and I'm sure someone will tell you yes or no. I will say that the fire department is like most things in life... The old folks get crusty and cranky and they don't like what you whippersnappers are doing with the place.

I joke that I know a couple of old guys that could get a $10,000 raise today and they'd bitch because it was paid in small bills. It seems that every decision -- good, bad or otherwise -- gets resistance from somebody in the fire department. When you guys are making these spending decisions... Just take a step back from your own opinions if you can and see the big picture. It should be easier to tell if the complaints are legitimate or if the old hounds are just busy yelping.

(BTW, being crusty and cranky has nothing to do with age. If you're in the wrong fire house, you can go from 21 to 61 in two or three years.)

Forum Member

You said you are new to the fire service ? Can you explain what you mean by
    "years of training in just a few" ?? Nothing wrong with getting all the training possible --- but do you also think you are getting "years of experence" in just a few ? Sounds like a dangerous mindset.
    If you are dealing with older members of a rural department --- they may have auctally paid out their own pocket for fuel for the engines / donated land / spent their weekends building the station or truck. They may remember hard times with hand me down bunker gear etc. So maybe buying "toys" seems a little extravagant ---only they can answer why ---- why dont you talk to them instead of a bunch of strangers on the net. And please explain this years in a few thing -- I really want to hurry up and retire.

Back In Black

Wait wait... after a few years you are already 2nd assistant (Chief?)?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Wait wait... after a few years you are already 2nd assistant (Chief?)?
    Popular guy vote.
    IAFF

Forum Member

How do you think he made 2nd assistant chief? Duh, he is buying all the members flashing lights and toys! just as good as giving them cash. lol

On a serious note. As long as all the bills are getting paid. the equipment is in good shape. training is getting funded etc. I do not see anything wrong with buying the guys t-shirts, hats, and other items they will use whilie working at the station. hell even the kid working at the local burger joint gets a shirt to wear whilie he is at work.

Old guys all ways get cranky. Young guys all ways get cranky. Look at it this way, what are they complaining about? they are complaining about t-shirts and stuff like that. which in my book means that they dont have other important things to complain about.

One fireman says to another
    Can't complain about the airpacks and PPE they are all new
    Can't complain about the building because it is in good shape
    Can't complain about the trucks because they are all working
    Can't complain about burn out cause we have enough people

O I got it lets complain about these new shirts they bought us.
    I think they are an ugly color
    i think the wear horrible and hurt my nipples
    I think "they" spent to much money on em.

I just love the "They" comments!

Forum Member

Default quick question

if they are old timers havent they put in a lot of hard work and dedication? i think if you get paid at all that is kinda a reward for your hard work and dedication. it sounds more like an i want situation versus, a we want situation.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Ok..............

Awrite, who da frack came up with the idea that us old guys are Grumpy? I AM NOT GRUMPY. The real problem with this place is that they've been taking in all these kids that ain't dry behind the ears yet. They go off to some high-falootin college or sumthin and they think they know it all, But I remember back in '39 when Charlie's barn burned............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I AM NOT GRUMPY.
    Yea, aren't you Sneezy?
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 02-17-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

or was it Sleepy???

Forum Member

or is he old enough to be the father of the dwarfs?

Forum Member

<<< old & Dopey

Banned

Awrite, who da frack came up with the idea that us old guys are Grumpy? I AM NOT GRUMPY. The real problem with this place is that they've been taking in all these kids that ain't dry behind the ears yet. They go off to some high-falootin college or sumthin and they think they know it all, But I remember back in '39 when Charlie's barn burned............
    Guess you never heard of "Grumpy Old Men"

Forum Member

I don't know why you guys are picking on Harve... I would be honored to go into a burning building with him... some of you.... no freakin' way!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It is all a form of admiration Chief! I can only hope when i get that old i will have half the get up and go that the older guys like Harve have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now calm down Harve, you know that the doctor said you don't need to get all worked up, in your condition. Yes I know the young guys are still very green. Yes, I know that you been fighting fire long before they were a sparkle in their daddy's eye. I know that even at your age, that your still the MAN and the pups cant hold a candle to you. Just give them some time and they settle down, after they get a few years on them.

All kidding aside, I fight fire with you anytime and anywhere.

As far as buying extra items for every Tom, Dick and Harry, as long as it is not to excess and is something the dept. can agree with, then have at it. But you might what to listen to the old heads some, remember that they are the reason that you have what you got right now. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Last edited by BULL321; 02-17-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I don't know why you guys are picking on Harve... I would be honored to go into a burning building with him... some of you.... no freakin' way!
    I'd be more honored to come out of a burning building with him, after it is been extinguished.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I think they do it because they're insecure. I think they're nervous because back when Harve started out, he had all the equipment squared away fast...the axes polished, the hooks polished, the horses brushed...
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Really. How many of us have ever fought a cave fire with a hungry Tyrannosaurus bearing down on us?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Really. How many of us have ever fought a cave fire with a hungry Tyrannosaurus bearing down on us?
    I fought a man-cave fire with an angry tranny soreass inside once.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Default oh man

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post

i just shot my lunch out my nose laughing at this! you owe me lunch! i almost choked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sweet Jesus, You're freaking killing me!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I hope you people are paying attention.

Thread Information