MembersZone Subscriber

Default Expiration for certifications....

I sent an e-mail to the state fire academy here and waiting on a response. Here is my situation….

I am moving to Biloxi to work as a dispatcher for Biloxi Police and Fire. However the apartment I am looking to rent is about 15-20 miles from the closest volunteer fire station. Now once I get married in July me and my future wife will look for a house and I am going to try and get it somewhere near a volunteer department. So I am looking at a timeframe about 1-1.5 years until we get a house. Now my question….

Is there a timeframe where if I am inactive on a department that my certifications will become void and I would have to go through all the certification processes again?

Thanks for any and all info.
    Stay safe everyone.
    2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

B Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    I sent an e-mail to the state fire academy here and waiting on a response. Here is my situation….

I am moving to Biloxi to work as a dispatcher for Biloxi Police and Fire. However the apartment I am looking to rent is about 15-20 miles from the closest volunteer fire station. Now once I get married in July me and my future wife will look for a house and I am going to try and get it somewhere near a volunteer department. So I am looking at a timeframe about 1-1.5 years until we get a house. Now my question….

Is there a timeframe where if I am inactive on a department that my certifications will become void and I would have to go through all the certification processes again?

Thanks for any and all info.
    Stay safe everyone.
    It depends on your state's certifications rules. In Texas, we maintain CE for our fire certifications in a manner similar to maintaining EMT or Paramedic certification. We are required to complete "X" amount of CE hours per year.

Your state's certifying agency will be your best source of information.

Another option is to research the volunteer FD's in the area where you will be living. Many VFDs no longer require a member to live in their response area as long as you commit to working a certain amount of hours per week or per month for their organization. This could be spending a 12- or 24- hour shift per month at a fire station, teaching a class to other volunteer FFs, performing inspections, or conducting public fire education on behalf of your VFD.
    Last edited by rjtoc2; 02-15-2010 at 11:19 PM.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Forum Member

^That is very true. VFD's in some areas have enough call volume that they need the full time staff, but can't justify the full-time. They always are looking for people to serve shifts. I know of one guy who lives three hours away from his VFD, but he still serves a few shifts a month.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Which certifications are you concerned about?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    Which certifications are you concerned about?
    Rural Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator, EMS First Responder, Structure Fire Tactics and Strategies (certificate), and a few others.
    2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

Forum Member

In LA, LSU certifications do not expire.

EMS certifications do. Maybe it would be possible for you to arrange ride-out time with a VFD. It also may be possible for your to attend thier trainings to maintain CEU hours.

Thread Information