Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tank to Pump

With us it depends on the rig. The engines are wet pump and circulate the water when stopped or not actively fighting fire. The tanker is dry pump because it has a nasty reputation for freezing up if run wet during a tanker shuttle.

One thing that could make a large difference in your ability to run a wet pump in COLD weather is how well the pump house is protected. One of our old rigs (FMC) had a large insulated shield under the pump house. That rig was interesting to run. In the winter it stayed nice and warm and in the summer you had to either pull the shield or open the booster reel covers to let out the heat!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Thanks.....

Rescue 101..... Thanks fer the chuckle.....

nameless..... Sure, whatever makes ya smile..... It's something that I'm currently dealing with in my Department.

This Thread has been really interesting..... FIREMECH1..... Thanks for you outlook and interesting knowledge. It's good to get the other side of the coin involved.....
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 02-26-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Add our department to the list of places that have the tank-to-pump valve valve plumbed so "in is open" and "out is closed." We've been doing this for a decade without any problems...we have about 30 engines plumbed this way, and have yet to have a problem riding around with the TTP open all the time.
    This is how my department did it until we consoludated with another department. Since we were the smaller department, and obviously a lot dumber, we had to do things their way. Now we leave the tank to pump closed. Even the mechanics agree that "IN IS OPEN" is the better way to do things, but "we've always done it this way, so it must be the right way".
    (I agree with "in is open" and leave water in the pump. Unless the pump needs to be drained for winter)

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer123
    This is how my department did it until we consoludated with another department. Since we were the smaller department, and obviously a lot dumber, we had to do things their way. Now we leave the tank to pump closed. Even the mechanics agree that "IN IS OPEN" is the better way to do things, but "we've always done it this way, so it must be the right way".
    (I agree with "in is open" and leave water in the pump. Unless the pump needs to be drained for winter)
    To be honest, mechanics don't care how you guys set up your open or closed valve positions. Just as long as we know which way is open or closed on the T2P valve.

We have it set up to where it is fool proof, for the simple minded. If the handle is out, the valve is open. If the handle is in, the valve is closed. And with the Heinz 57 fleet we have, it works better this way for all the operators. Which is another reason why the T2P valves are always open, and pulled out. They know where it is (for the subs that have minimal experience on that rig).

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information