MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default When Did They Start Mounting

Laser sights on .50 cals?

From the "Lookout":

Right: RAdm Tyrone Pile, Commander Joint Task Force Games
    (JTFG), looks through the laser site of a .50 calibre machine gun
    while in an Orca-class patrol vessel. Col David Barr, JTFG Deputy
    Commander, stands ready to explain the detailed functions of
    this heavy machine gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

I wonder if Tyrone is related to Gomer????

Forum Member

In July of 1995,USS Whirlwind,a Zephyr class littoral combat ship,came to Memphis for her commissioning ceremony and the handouts mentioned the 20mm guns mounted for long range shootouts and close in anti aircraft use were equipped with laser sights.
    Now,I am a big fan of laser sights on handguns because that's close in.But at stand off ranges like those in fighting airplanes or keeping the bad guys off the SEALs or Marines that are landing,I don't see how a straight laser beam can account for the trajectory drop of a projectile.It might get the shells close to the target but the gunner would have to adjust his fire and probably miss unless the sights are adjusted to take the drop into account.
    Last edited by doughesson; 02-18-2010 at 12:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

IIRC, Marine sniper Carlos Hath**** in Vietnam occasionally used a basically standard .50 cal machine gun fitted with telescopic sights. It was possible to touch off a single round at a time, and had an effective range way beyond the standard sniper rifle in use at the time. Could be used in an anti-personnel role or to put a round through the engine block of a vehicle. Very effective before they came out with the .50 cal sniper rifles you see our troops using nowadays.

Stands to reason if you can adjust a standard telescopic sight to compensate for windage and elevation, you should be able to adjust a laser sight the same way, right?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

This anti-profanity software is kinda stupid.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

From Wikipedia...

In 1967 Hathc0ck set the record for the 20th century's longest combat kill with a Browning M2 .50 BMG machine gun mounting a telescopic sight. The distance was 2,286 meters (2,500 yd / 1.420 mi). Hathc0ck was one of several individuals to utilize the Browning M2 machine gun in the sniping role. This success led to the adoption of the .50 BMG cartridge as a viable anti-personnel and anti-equipment sniper round. Sniper rifles have since been designed around and chambered in this caliber.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 02-18-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Exclamation

Carlos "whitefeather" Hathc@ck has some pretty good stories to tell if you ever read about him.

Talk about dedicated...that fella was dedicated.

His sniper vs. sniper stories were a great read. Something you dont forget even years after reading them.
    Change We Can Believe In.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Stands to reason if you can adjust a standard telescopic sight to compensate for windage and elevation, you should be able to adjust a laser sight the same way, right?
    Yeah but wouldn't it be for one specific range,like with "regular" sights?How much time would you have to click in w/e changes if you need a tool to do so?Not every sighting system uses finger click adjustment turrets.
    It's just me but I think they'd still have to observe the rounds splashing and adjust using Kentucky windage unless they are now using some Buck Rogers type of fire control on the smaller crew served weapons.
    But,I've been out of the Nav for 22 years so what do I know?

MembersZone Subscriber

google on Crew Served Heavy Weapon Aiming Laser and AIM-1/SLR

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Raughammer1 View Post
    Carlos "whitefeather" Hathc@ck has some pretty good stories to tell if you ever read about him.

Talk about dedicated...that fella was dedicated.

His sniper vs. sniper stories were a great read. Something you dont forget even years after reading them.
    Yeah, I have his bio, "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills" by Charles Henderson. It's a pretty interesting read.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Laser sight on a .50 sniper set up, I agree. But on a unipod deck mount, used against small boats...... just lead in with the splash and tracer. I used to watch the Bos'ns shoot like that all the time. They never even needed to sight down the barrel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Laser Targeting

When useing a 50 cal. sniper rifle, can you even see the laser designator on the target at one to one and a half miles? And don't you risk alerting the target with a laser spot?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    When useing a 50 cal. sniper rifle, can you even see the laser designator on the target at one to one and a half miles? And don't you risk alerting the target with a laser spot?

Both valid questions....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Laser sight on a .50 sniper set up, I agree. But on a unipod deck mount, used against small boats...... just lead in with the splash and tracer. I used to watch the Bos'ns shoot like that all the time. They never even needed to sight down the barrel.
    In my destroyer,we called the HT who was assigned the M60 for my duty sections securit alerts "Petty Officer Rambo" because of his imitation of Sylvester Stallone's method of shooting that type of crew served weapon.
    Even if you can hit like that,I have long felt that aimed fire is a better solution than "spray and pray",even with fully automatic belt fed weapons.
    But,that's just me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    I'm no expert on snipers or lasing, but I should think that if you can see the target through a scope at that distance, it should be possible to see the designator.

As for the target seeing it - there are lasers that operate outside the range of visible light. And sensors that can "see" that wavelength.

Too, as long as we're getting that sophisicated, let's use the laser to find the range and let a computer factor in the drop of the projectile. That just leaves windage...

Thread Information