Forum Member

Default Class action Lawsuit against WSI

Ok I did the math and figuring 200 K for the the arbitrator and the Class representatives and named claimants the average award is going to be somewhere between $1,500 and $1,800. Anybody else feel we're getting the short end of the stick again? My brother and I were both over there and we figured we were shorted about $20,000 a piece. What are others thoughts on this?

Forum Member

Received my letter today, stated in the letter if you were employed by WSI before February 1 ,2009 that you are included in the settlement??? Someone clarify this for me.It was my understanding this suit was for the first couple years???. I was over from Oct 07,thru Oct 08

Forum Member

I thought so too I was there from 12/05 to 12/06. My brother got a letter too and he was there 12/07 to 12/08. I have no idea what's up

Forum Member

Just talked to a buddy I was over with he say there are 2 different suits going on ??? Still confused.....

Forum Member

I was with WSI '04 - '05 at D-7.

My understanding of the letter is that Wackenhut set aside $3.5 million to be split by ALL claimants (i.e anyone employed before Feb.2009) who want in on the settlement and gets their letter back to the lawyers by 4/4/2010. Their "reward" will be based on hours worked info supplied by WSI.

So until every letter is returned or Apr 4, 2010 which ever comes first, there will be no determination of how much each person gets. It also appears that only 1 year will be used to determine the amount for each claimant. In other words if you worked there for 5 years you're only going to be credited with one for the purposes of the settlement.
    I don't know how many total claimants there will be but I would say that the $1500 - $1800 per claimant estimate is probably a pretty good one.

I wouldn't worry too much about it after you send your reply letters. If you're do something you'll get it, but you're not going to get much. When the check shows up go buy your sweetheart a trinket, have a nice dinner on WSI and move on.

Cogs
    Last edited by FFPCogs08; 02-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Forum Member

OPT OUT of the lawsuit. Below is the lawfirm that will take the case to court. Contact this person and let them know that you Opted Out and want to take it further.

Contact them at:

Scott J. Bloch, P.A.
    Tarone & McLaughlin, LLP
    1010 Vermont Ave, NW Ste 810
    Washington, DC 20005
    PH: (202) 347-9526
    FAX: (202) 457-6680
    www.bcounsel.com
    sbloch@bcounsel.com

Forum Member

OPT OUT or get 2000 on top of all the money I've made? Are you crazy? I'm sending my claim form in. This has been going on long enough. And to be honest with you, I feel kind of bad about taking the money... alright.. that's passed.

This is too good to be true.

Forum Member

Got my letter in the mail the other day, and I think that it is a load of crap ( as far as payment goes ). I was there from 06 to 08 and I can only get paid for 1 year. What a bunch of crap. (15 to 1800.00 WSI? Come on.) I went over there and risked my neck so my family and I could climb out of that hugh mountain of debt that we were in, and my employer takes money out of my pocket so they can have fat pockets. What's up with that? I called that 877# that was on the paper, and they told me that I will only recieve compensation for only one year, and if we win the case, we will have to stand-by for 60 days to see if WSI files an appeal. So we may not see any money until the end of the year. And it will be reported on our taxes. Screwed both ways.

Forum Member

Default Did some extra probing.

I called a lawyer for some advise on this whole situation to see what they would recommend. She told me that it is not to late to fill a complaint with the Dept. of Labor. I just want to make sure that we can get the max amount of money possible before I send in my settlement letter.

On a side note:

Do the people that did not stick it out a full year, get in on this? Hopefully not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Armydog View Post
    I called a lawyer for some advise on this whole situation to see what they would recommend. She told me that it is not to late to fill a complaint with the Dept. of Labor. I just want to make sure that we can get the max amount of money possible before I send in my settlement letter.

On a side note:

Do the people that did not stick it out a full year, get in on this? Hopefully not.
    I wouldnt think so but you never know

MembersZone Subscriber

I turned mine over to my lawyer .. I want to be sure Im not short changing myself by signing the paper work ..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    OPT OUT or get 2000 on top of all the money I've made? Are you crazy? I'm sending my claim form in. This has been going on long enough. And to be honest with you, I feel kind of bad about taking the money... alright.. that's passed.

This is too good to be true.
    If you think you're getting 2000 from the settlement, you've obviously been smoking crack!

Forum Member

again, not really worrying about it. I made almost 190k off of WSI while was over there. The work to pay ratio was balanced and i had a blast. Now i'm going to get some more money for time i didn't even do anything, hell i slept. Not to concerned about the amount. I feel bad for you guys that were counting on this lawsuit, but seems kind of silly your are getting spun up for money you should have got for sleeping.

Forum Member

Default peterbound i didn't even do anything, hell i slept

Well it appears that you never responded to any vehicle wash downs after an IED/EFP tore them up. Or watched as the Army crew collected the many remains of someone you knew was part of said washdown. Or being called in to washdown the blackhawk after a medic run. Ya I guess you would say "i didn't even do anything, hell i slept".

Forum Member

Alas, i'm sure you were paid for said activities. The lawsuit, as i understand it, is for money paid to WSI during the down time that the FF's were not paid.
    Please don't play to the emotional side of the argument, we all knew what we were going over there for and the possible sites you would be exposed to.
    And ya, after two years over there, i saw some of that nonsense too, but as i stated above, i was paid for it.

Forum Member

Must be a real heart gold.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gruntman View Post
    Well it appears that you never responded to any vehicle wash downs after an IED/EFP tore them up. Or watched as the Army crew collected the many remains of someone you knew was part of said washdown. Or being called in to washdown the blackhawk after a medic run.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    And ya, after two years over there, i saw some of that nonsense too, but as i stated above, i was paid for it.
    So Peterbound you call washing down the effects of what happened to some of the people we were there to protect nonsense huh? After reading most of your posts I thought you were a real brown nosing piece of s**t...now I KNOW it for sure. Hope you rot in hell with your 190K.

Forum Member

blah, think what you will. None of what you are saying has anything to do with the topic at had.
    The lawsuit. I'm sorry if you cannot deal with the traumatizing things you witnessed. I have my way of dealing with it, and you have yours. We get paid to be able to take what we see, deal with it, and press on. No different than doing the job back home.

Get as emotional as you want but it doesn't change the fact that you are getting extra money for the time that you were asleep.

Do you get this spun up when you roll on a TA or a domestic? I find it difficult to believe that anyone in our line of work would get that bent out of shape at the sight of blood, guts, and death. Yes it's tragic, yes it was probably avoidable, but it is what you chose to do. If you can't make yourself accept that, you might want to find another line of work.

Forum Member

What joy you are peterbound. I gather that members of the Armed Forces really do not have PTSD. Then the cost of CISM for members of the fire service really that should go to your pocket. After all it is just nonsense.

MembersZone Subscriber

First off let me introduce myself. My name is Adam Hill (SAP#368) I worked for WSI from Jan 2005 till Jan 2006. I am also the person who originally contact Scott Bloch about representing myself and others not happy with our current concil and the settlement offer we are being urged to take.

We have been basically given very few options. Either except pennies on the dollar of what we are owed (while Sass and her coworkers get payed what they are owed) or Opt out and risk getting nothing. I didnt like those options, so I found another. After some research I found Scott Bloch. He has some expierence dealing with KBR and other contractors. He wants to take our case and will only be paid if he secures a settlement LARGER then the one currently offered.

No matter what you made over there, giving WSI a free pass after how they treated us shouldnt even be an option. If you read the settlement WSI makes it out like the settlement offer is a good will gesture and still admit to no wrong doing. What a load of shiite. I could care less if I never see a dime. What I want more then money is for WSI to have to answer for the wrong they have done.

So the above combined with the tight lipped staff including Ms. Sass and her associates makes me wonder if there is not more to the story. And also guys this is an OFFER not a judgement by the arbitrator. If WSI thought theyd win and have to pay us less then they wouldnt be making a settlement offer.

For those of you who wish to explore this new option contact me at Lasko189@yahoo.com or contact Scott Bloch. Just be aware you only have till March 30th to opt out or you are stuck with whatever WSI gives you.

Scott J. Bloch, P.A.
    Tarone & McLaughlin, LLP
    1010 Vermont Ave, NW Ste 810
    Washington, DC 20005
    PH: (202) 347-9526
    FAX: (202) 457-6680
    www.bcounsel.com
    sbloch@bcounsel.com

Thread Information